Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 10 Sporting moments in your lifetime.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 10 Sporting moments in your lifetime.
    Posted: 05 June 2015 at 6:49pm
I remember Sport from around 1983 onwards to the present day, and have been fortunate to see a multitude of great sporting moments and occasions . These are 10 moments that really stand out
(1) Torvill and Dean winning the 84 Olympics with ten perfect tens . They captured the imagination of everyone, and they were real icons of the Sporting World
(2) I can't remember the year exactly but I think it was 85 when Barry Mguigan beat Pedrozo, and his father sang Danny Boy before the fight in the ring. Great night. One of my all time favourite boxers
(3) Dennis Taylor beating Steve Davies in a black ball thriller. Davies ruled the snooker World in those days, and was counted as being slightly arrogant .Dennis Taylor was a popular man and seeing him win the World title pleased a lot of people.
(4) Nicole Cooke winning in 2008 was a truly great Sporting moment for Welsh Sport .It looked at the end that she had blown it, but shocked us all as she came up that hill in the rain to power her way home to win Olympic Gold.
(5) Carl Lewis winning four golds in 84   something I will always remember.One of the all time greats.
(6) Seeing Boris Becker win Wimbledon in 85 as as a 17yr old was one of the most remarkable sporting rise to fames ever. He went on of course to become a great champion.
(7 ) Toulouse v Scarlets 41.34 I was there - say no more
(8) Wales v Ireland 2005 Grand Slam one of the best days of my life .After years of ensuring Welsh misery finally seeing Wales win a Grand Slam was something I thought I would never see.
(9) The 1988 Cup final beating Neath .Jiffy was superb in front of a record 56,000 crowd . We were the underdogs but we totally stuffed them.
(10) Seeing Europe win the Ryder Cup in the Celtic Manor was truly remarkable . The event made me very proud to be Welsh
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 6:19am

1997 Lions tour to South Africa not only a momentous win but probably the last time we will ever see players having proper court sessions and enjoying what I still believe is the spirit and soul of rugy enkoying on and off the pitch as team.. The subsequent video'd tours after this showed that professionalism had killed that aspect of the Lions tours. Am understandable change in the professional era but I don't have to like it. Cry

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 7:42am
I wish Llandre had defined his criteria a bit more tightly, as (for example) to include only those occasions we saw in person... or in person + on TV live. Otherwise, there's no end to the possibilities - for example, on any open-ended list I'd have to include Llanelli 9, Seland Newydd 3 - even though I wasn't there, or able to watch any live TV coverage (if there was any). I did, however, buy and proudly wear for many years a T-shirt with the score on it (yn Gymraeg) - even when it shrank and was most unflattering to my midriff!.

For 'in person' occasions, they'd be mainly rugby, with many of the 'usual suspects' included - for example:

1. Seeing Maurice Richards score 4 tries v England in the 30-9 thrashing of England in the half-built National Stadium (1969)

2. Seeing Wales come back from (i think) a 13-3 deficit at Twickenham at half-time to beat England 17-13, with Ray 'Chico' Hopkins scoring a try to put Wales in front after subbing for Gareth Edwards. Barry John put the icing on the cake with a very long drop goal soon afterwards. This shut up the half-time English gloaters! (1970)

3. Seeing Wales beat Scotland 19-18 with a very late try from TGR Davies, converted from the touchline by left-footed John Taylor. A game where the lead changed hands several times, and the winning scores came very late on - the most exciting win ever (IMO), and more deserved than the recent late win v the Scots sealed by Shane W. This win kept Wales on track for the Grand Slam - the first since 1952. (1971)

4. Wales 16, France 7 (1978) - the game in which Phil Bennett scored two tries to seal Wales's 8th Grand Slam. There was even a song put out - "Grand slam, grand slam" - which defeats even google to track it down, as the phrase is too common - as this particular triumph put Wales ahead of England, as Wikipedia explains: The championship was won by Wales, the twentieth time the team won the competition outright. The Welsh had won another nine titles, which were shared with other teams. Having won all four of their games, Wales also won the Grand Slam, a record eighth occasion the team did so - Wales had formerly shared the record of seven with England. Victories over England, Ireland and Scotland (the Home Nations), also meant Wales won the Triple Crown for the third consecutive time, a record, given no other team had ever won the Triple Crown more than twice in a row. It was Wales' fifteenth in total, also a record, surpassing the fourteen won by England.

5. Wales 32, Ireland 20 - the first Grand Slam since 1978. Gethin Jenkins' charge - down try came in front of us, and provided a special moment.

6. Seeing Wales's first and at the time only victory over South Africa in 1999.

As to non-rugby, or 'not present' events, I'll have to give that more thought!

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
no.6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 9:00am
1-Attending my 1st ever football match in 1979, Albion-Leeds with Cunningham/Regis/Bomber/Robbo etc on show
2-Benny's try in '77 away to Scotland, oldies on this forum will know the one ;)
3-Hagler-Hearns 1985, 3 rounds of war
4-Benn-McClellan 1995
5-World snooker championship 1982 and The Hurricane's career peak, semi final and final took everything out of him. A man of huge failings but his emotions at the end of the final showed he had vulnerabilities like everyone else
6-World darts final 1980, the day darts became a national phenomenon. Eric Bristow v Bobby George and the crowd going nuts.
7-Scarlets 'treble', and I was right in front of god's try.
8-1978 world cup, I can vaguely remember watching part of '74 but '78 was the 1st one I watched fully.
9-Scarlets v Leicester when Leicester lost as soon as they ran onto the pitch, by far the most intimidating atmosphere at Stradey Park I can remember, if there was ever a '16th man' game that was it. It was mentioned in Martin Johnson's book and prior to the game Steve Ryder referred to Stradey as 'the Maracana of rugby'.
10-Watching/listening to Hillsborough unfold, it still gets to me to this day.
It'll never be the same
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 9:27am
I've purposefully left this open ended to include events seen live or seen on TV. It's great hearing people's personal recollections . I'm not a jealous person by nature but I do often think that I wish I had been older to enjoy the success of the Welsh team of the 70s and to see Max in his pomp. Of course the 70s were also a successful time for Llaneli too
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 9:35am
1. Mike Tyson v Bruno. Great in the sense I have never seen someone experiencing such fear before the bell had even rung. Tyson in his prime was truly frightening.
2. The Liverpool comeback in Istanbul. Truly special.
3. Usain Bolts last 100 metre world record. Continues to defy physiology.
4. Jonah Lomu against England at Twickers (?). Batting people aside like flies. An amazing player.
5. Benn v Eubank. The build up, the fight. Amazing times for super middleweight boxing in UK.
6. Maradona's goal v England in WC. Just amazing 
7. Murray winning at Wimbledon.
8. Watching Holmes finish Ali. Was no way for a great to finish.
9. Watching SA lift the rugby WC with Nelson Mandela. Really felt like something changed that day.
10. Too many Scarlets ones, Reading, Northampton, Paris, Toulon et al 
#George
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 12:39pm
In addition to the ones above:

Zola Budd, Redgrave and Pincent, Michael Johnson's 400m, Man City's last minute Premier League win, England winning the ashes in Australia 2010-11, Lara's 501, Miracle in Medina Ryder Cup.
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 12:43pm
Added to those above, England winning the Ashes in 2005 was pretty special.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 1:15pm
The three most memorable live events that I was present for were:

1. Llanelli v Fiji when we came back from 28 or 29 points to 3 and won.

2. British GP, Silverstone, in 1987 when Nigel Mansell had to pit late in the race and came back from a 25 second deficit to overtake Nelson Piquet with 2 laps to go.

3. Federer v Nadal, Wimbledon Final (2009?). One of the greatest games of tennis ever played as Nadal won in 5 sets in miserable weather which started at 2pm and finished in twilight at about 9:30pm.

Another could be Donnington 1992, European GP, where Ayrton Senna's first lap is considered to be one of the best in the history of GP racing.

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 1:40pm
1. Only 6 at the time but Man Utd beating Benfica to win European Cup. Relatives in Manchester were United fans and gave me a 45 vinyl of Hugh Johns commentary of the game, Best, Charlton & Co pretty special team and after the Munich disaster a poignant moment.
2. 1971 Wales win in Murrayfield, the excitement at the end of that game was something else.
3. Who beat the All Blacks.
4. Being in the old Arms Park watching Wales beat England 77 maybe? The south enclosure was something else, crowd surges meant you would move about 6 or 7 steps up and down during the course of game.
5. In the early 80's, played against Grav and with Phil Bennett, occassions I will never forget.
6. Steve Ovett and his battles with Seb Coe world records tumbling almost every week, incredible stuff.
7. 1992 Australia win. We beat the World Champion winning team that day, Amazing really.
8. Coming from way behind to beat Cardiff to win league after the gut wrenching agony of Nottingham.
9. The Toulouse win, an incredible game. You cant beat that feeling of elation, its why I come back year after year.
10. The Miracle at Medina. Sport at its thrilling best, you couldnt write that.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 1:41pm
Five most memorable live events I was present for (not including Scarlets matches):

1. Wales v Ireland Grand slam decider, Cardiff 2005
2. Shane Warne & Glenn McGrath's last test match (Aus v Eng), Sydney 2007
3. San Francisco Giants v NY Mets, AT&T Stadium, San Francisco, 2011
4. Jensen Button winning Belgian F1 Grand Prix, Spa, 2012
5. New Zealand v Australia bledisloe cup, Christchurch 2006
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

1. Only 6 at the time but Man Utd beating Benfica to win European Cup. Relatives in Manchester were United fans and gave me a 45 vinyl of Hugh Johns commentary of the game, Best, Charlton & Co pretty special team and after the Munich disaster a poignant moment.

Hugh Johns - that takes me back.

joss View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 2:18pm
Nortons coin winning the gold cup, my boss at the time made me put a fiver on it, I honestly thought I was rich for a day or so then reality sunk in. Still a great moment tho
Man United beating Liverpool at Wembley with a wonderful cantona goal, I was there
Scarlets beating Australia at stradey, the anthem was hair raising
Scarlets beating neath to win the treble at the arms park, I think I cried plus loads from above
#HUMANTOURS Rise above the rest
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 4:13pm
Ieuan Evans sidestepping the Scottish team in the 1988 5 nations in Cardiff. My first international. Priceless.
Scarlets winning the treble
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 5:03pm
Non rugby wise one of my earliest memories was Linford christie winning gold in Barcelona, was a huge fan of Carl Lewis too so loved him bowing out with a gold in 1996 in the long jump.

Agassi winning Wimbledon in 1992 was great, the Lewis holyfield fights were class and was it mccall that cried in the ring against Lewis? That was a memorable one!

Any tyson fight in his day was an epic display of power. Love a favourite emphatically delivering so bolt cleaning up in London was my favourite of the last few years.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 5:38pm

brooking goal to beat asrsenal in fa cup final
bob champion coming back from cancer to win grand national
buster douglas shocking the world and koing tyson
ashes win 2005
kevib morgan try vs ireland 2005

scarlet wise
ieaun try vs aussies
emyr drop goal vs neath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic