Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yes, another ticket price thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes, another ticket price thread.
    Posted: 19 December 2008 at 12:30pm
A colleague of mine, and Blues fan, told me yesterday (I work in Cardiff) that he'd phoned the Scarlets ticket office for 6 seats for the Scarlets v Blues game and were shocked at the prices of £27 a ticket.

The six of them have decided to go to a pub instead and watch the game on TV. So that's £162 saved and a loss to the club. I would imagine this scenario is being played out many times.

He did ask me if I could get him the tickets in my name with a discount as a season ticket holder and I told him we were paying full whack for the Barbarians game - season ticket or not.

Even the Welsh FA have realised that they got 75,000 in the MS for international matches when they charged £10 and £15 but got around 25,000 when they charged £30 and are going to revert to lower prices. Simple maths shows that there is a profit to be made if you work out carefully your overheads v reduced ticket prices. Better to get 10,000 at £15 (that excludes season tickets, obviously) than 5,000 at £27? Work it out and you'lll see it makes sense.

And, yes, I do realise that not all tickets are £27 but you can reduce proportionally for different class tickets.

Better for all round, really, than giving away 2,000 tickets to games at considerable loss.

Edited by Abbey - 19 December 2008 at 12:33pm
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 12:41pm
There would be a marginal increase in the crowd but has been shown we can't get rid of free ones.
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

There would be a marginal increase in the crowd but has been shown we can't get rid of free ones.

I think they got rid of them, but people didn't turn up because of the weather.

6 of my mates had free tickets, as well as 2 season ticket holders, stayed away last Friday and watched it in the pub.

I can imagine that was widespread.
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I think they got rid of them, but people didn't turn up because of the weather.

6 of my mates had free tickets, as well as 2 season ticket holders, stayed away last Friday and watched it in the pub.

I can imagine that was widespread.

They were giving tickets away for Munster too, the first Scarlets game in the stadium. I reckon we'll be lucky to get 9,000 max on Saturday.
brookesford View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brookesford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 12:55pm
Weren't tickets for the Stade v Quins game last week £4 a ticket and they got 75,000 people at the game
Do you think Martyn Madden would marry me?
TrumpTowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrumpTowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

A colleague of mine, and Blues fan, told me yesterday (I work in Cardiff) that he'd phoned the Scarlets ticket office for 6 seats for the Scarlets v Blues game and were shocked at the prices of £27 a ticket.

The six of them have decided to go to a pub instead and watch the game on TV. So that's £162 saved and a loss to the club. I would imagine this scenario is being played out many times.

He did ask me if I could get him the tickets in my name with a discount as a season ticket holder and I told him we were paying full whack for the Barbarians game - season ticket or not.

Even the Welsh FA have realised that they got 75,000 in the MS for international matches when they charged £10 and £15 but got around 25,000 when they charged £30 and are going to revert to lower prices. Simple maths shows that there is a profit to be made if you work out carefully your overheads v reduced ticket prices. Better to get 10,000 at £15 (that excludes season tickets, obviously) than 5,000 at £27? Work it out and you'lll see it makes sense.

And, yes, I do realise that not all tickets are £27 but you can reduce proportionally for different class tickets.

Better for all round, really, than giving away 2,000 tickets to games at considerable loss.

I'm going to be very interested to see how the blues prices will be when they move to leckwith
If you build it, they will come.
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 1:12pm
Free tickets only work when the people getting them have no other options available to them. Given the fact that most matches are televised, the slightest deterioration in the weather will keep the 'fair weather' (which is generally what they are if they have freebies) supporters rooted to their seats at the pub or at home.

IF tomorrows game wasn't televised it would add another 1000+ genuine fans and free tickets would be a viable option.

I would suggest that less than half the people that got freebies for the Ulster match actually attended.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by TrumpTowers TrumpTowers wrote:

I'm going to be very interested to see how the blues prices will be when they move to leckwith

I would imagine that they'd be as high as our, if not higher. But that's not the point.

I don't really care less how many go through the turnstiles at any other rugby team in the entire world. What I want to see is our stadium filled, our team supported - and not with freebies but with a profit margin that remains healthy but the games are not affordable in these extreme times.

We will struggle to maintain season ticket holders next season let alone game-by-game punters. The economic downturn has yet to raise unemplyment to its peak and areas like West Wales will be one of the hardest hit with established employers like Woolworths and MFI going bust and others on the brink. If you don't know if you'll have a job then you're not likely to fork out a few hundred pounds to watch something that is usually on TV anyway (mostly for free).

Perhaps they should have enticed the punters in with discounts and get them hooked?

If the fans turn their backs on the region because of unaffordability and a product that isn't worth spending your money on anyway then we are doomed.

Edited by Abbey - 19 December 2008 at 1:23pm
under 21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote under 21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 4:45pm
Have a mate who is a city supporter and he tells me that ticket prices for football in Leckwith are being held at this seasons rates to encourage takeup. Would assume if right that the same would apply to the rugby prices, especially as there is said to be considerable resistance by the hard cores about the move from CAP, the rugby powers that be need all the enticements they can come up with it seems to encourage takeup.
u2
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 5:52pm

It's about average too be honest, although I feel that average prices are too high these days.

London Irish charge £35 for their most expensive ticket on match day (advance booking is £30 for the same ticket) to give you an idea.
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

It's about average too be honest, although I feel that average prices are too high these days.

London Irish charge £35 for their most expensive ticket on match day (advance booking is £30 for the same ticket) to give you an idea.

So we're charging almost as much (£27 for us as there is no advance booking discount, £30 for LI) as a team situated in Berkshire - a far more affluent area of the Home Counties?

Demographics have to be taken into account and the average salary of a rugby fan in Llanelli is probably significantly lower than that of the rugby watching fraternity of Reading and west London. Rugby is certainly not the working class game in England.

Put it this way - if Swansea City somehow got to the Premiership next season, I would stick my neck out and say that their ticket prices would be cheaper than Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs or other South Eastern English teams.

Good on Cardiff if they discount or freeze ticket prices instead of the 29.1% increase that my season ticket saw. I knew that the new stadium wasn't going to be a "free lunch" and the £310 I paid for a season ticket was the banding of my choice, but I maintain that surely economics dictate that if you make tickets cheaper, more will come. Or am I wrong? Does anyone have evidence to show that I'm talking tosh? I would stand corrected if someone could show me otherwise.

numberoneturk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numberoneturk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 6:36pm

Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

So we're charging almost as much (£27 for us as there is no advance booking discount, £30 for LI) as a team situated in Berkshire - a far more affluent area of the Home Counties?

Demographics have to be taken into account and the average salary of a rugby fan in Llanelli is probably significantly lower than that of the rugby watching fraternity of Reading and west London. Rugby is certainly not the working class game in England.

Put it this way - if Swansea City somehow got to the Premiership next season, I would stick my neck out and say that their ticket prices would be cheaper than Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs or other South Eastern English teams.

Good on Cardiff if they discount or freeze ticket prices instead of the 29.1% increase that my season ticket saw. I knew that the new stadium wasn't going to be a "free lunch" and the £310 I paid for a season ticket was the banding of my choice, but I maintain that surely economics dictate that if you make tickets cheaper, more will come. Or am I wrong? Does anyone have evidence to show that I'm talking tosh? I would stand corrected if someone could show me otherwise.

IT is a free lunch for some.
Dan the Drover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the Drover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 6:38pm

Alas, the average salary of a rugby player in Llanelli isn't. 

[It is fortunate, perhaps, that  players' salaries aren't entirely dependent on matchday ticket income either in Llanelli or in Reading.  Let's be grateful for that or The Scarlets would never be able to compete with the top teams.]
jasper304 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasper304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 7:29pm

At the begining of the season it  was all oh so simple, we had a bigger ground and had to fill it, so what would any A level business studies student say? Loss Leader!!!! Get the bums on seat, profit made from shops, catering, alcohol, car park's etc.

However when you have a inexperienced CEO at the top, we started on the back foot. I can only describe it to fishing, we needed to hook the new supporters into the ground, and make it an experience, but alas we have shot ourselves in the foot. It is now up to the senior leadership team to turn this around, but at present I personally dont belive they have the businees acumen to do it. Cry
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Dan the Drover Dan the Drover wrote:

Alas, the average salary of a rugby player in Llanelli isn't. 

[It is fortunate, perhaps, that  players' salaries aren't entirely dependent on matchday ticket income either in Llanelli or in Reading.  Let's be grateful for that or The Scarlets would never be able to compete with the top teams.]

As I wrote it, I realised the point that you'd rasied - and I see fully that we demand top class players and so need money.

I still am to be convinced, however, that lowering ticket prices wouldn't bring in more punters. I've just walked into work to be accosted by more Blues fans telling me where I can stick my new stadium at "those prices"!

scarletwrecsam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletwrecsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 9:56am
I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. Every game in another ground I've been to recently Parc y Scarlets prices represent a good deal! SF, Northampton and Sale had prices which were considerably higher, and yes, they might be in areas with a different socio-economic climate, however, the match day experience does not compare. Also, although you'll have the toffs in England, there were a very high percentage of people from the same socio-economic grouping as Scarlets fans in both games - in fact half the people I saw at the second Sharks game I saw this season (v. Cardiff) were from the north (of Wales) or Cardiff.

However, I do see that there is an argument for some loss leaders. Sale find it hard to fill the ground for most games, however, they seem to be having a half price sale et.c on single match tickets at the moment - and I'll probably take the family to at least one of them.

Why are people whingeing about prices anyway? I paid (!!!) 15  pounds for my wife's ticket for the Ulster game - and we could see the game very well. How much cheaper than that are stand tickets at CAP?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic