Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Shingler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Shingler
    Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:19am
In the Scotland 6N squad.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/
Sponsored Links

haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:31am
So much for S4C using him in an advert last season to promote the Welsh international games!! LOL
It's a hell of a shock TBH - didn't even know he had any Scottish blood in him!!

Does that mean that Aaron could have been very close to a Scotland call-up as well?? Confused

Edited by haydn_davies - 05 January 2012 at 11:34am
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:37am
Would have thought he had already been approached at least wouldn't you?

I'm sure Scotland would have done their home work and checked that Steve's U20 games didn't compromise him playing for Scotland...?

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I'm sure Scotland would have done their home work and checked that Steve's U20 games didn't compromise him playing for Scotland...?

Unless because Aaron played 7's for Wales means he's ruled out?? Confused

If Aaron get's a Wales call-up, it'd be one hell of a family dilema who to support!! LOLLOL
TonduTurk View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
"Views my own"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonduTurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:43am
his Mother is Scottish.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:46am
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Unless because Aaron played 7's for Wales means he's ruled out?? Confused

If Aaron get's a Wales call-up, it'd be one hell of a family dilema who to support!! LOLLOL

You are right mate, forgot about the 7's..rules him out of playing for anyone else.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:52am
Utterly shocked about this to be frank.
owaingruff93 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote owaingruff93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:53am
Good point on Twitter - he's a Welshman playing for Irish in England and representing Scotland - talk about covering all bases
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:56am
Originally posted by owaingruff93 owaingruff93 wrote:

Good point on Twitter - he's a Welshman playing for Irish in England and representing Scotland - talk about covering all bases

LOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClapClap
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:57am
First of all I have to assume he is legitimately allowed to play for Scotland, he did play many age grade games for Wales though...but will have seen the havoc around Mathew Jarvis trasnfer to Connacht and how that became a major talking point about his NIQ status and eligibility.

After that I think it's about Steve himself and what he wants from the game and how he feels that links to his percieved nationality, only he can judge that I guess.

What I would say is that it makes coming back to Wales to play a lot less likely.

scarletswoman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletswoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:01pm
I find it odd myself, especially after the whole no10 shirt ad he did for S4C last year etc.

I can only assume he can't have played against France at the U20 level, because if he had he would not be able to play for Scotland. Both Wales and France use the U20's as their 2nd side, thus tieing players to a country, but it doesn't count if they play U20 sides that aren't that country's 2nd side (such as Ireland). if that makes sense.

Chuffed for him, but gutted he's made this choice to be honest.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:09pm

I don't think he is good enough for international rugby and I think this is a rash decision on his part but nevertheless good luck to the guy I hope he proves me wrong .

I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by scarletswoman scarletswoman wrote:

I find it odd myself, especially after the whole no10 shirt ad he did for S4C last year etc.

I can only assume he can't have played against France at the U20 level, because if he had he would not be able to play for Scotland. Both Wales and France use the U20's as their 2nd side, thus tieing players to a country, but it doesn't count if they play U20 sides that aren't that country's 2nd side (such as Ireland). if that makes sense.

But he played against France at full back in the last game of last seasons under 20's championship. And wasn't there an issue with them two Welsh players who signed for Connacht and wanted to qualify for Ireland as the Welsh under 20's qualifies as an A team. I'd question Scotlands selection here.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Gary Coleman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Who are we?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by TonduTurk TonduTurk wrote:

his Mother is Scottish.

Well, she was born in Scotland at least.

I think Steven ate a Highland Toffee once.

Oh well, looks as if the Scarlets are a development region after all.......for other countries.!
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

But he played against France at full back in the last game of last seasons under 20's championship. And wasn't there an issue with them two Welsh players who signed for Connacht and wanted to qualify for Ireland as the Welsh under 20's qualifies as an A team. I'd question Scotlands selection here.
I'm sure you are right, if your country doesn't have an A team, the U20 takes it's place.
Scarlets - Pro 12 Champions 2017
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I'm sure you are right, if your country doesn't have an A team, the U20 takes it's place.
or is it the 7's side??

Aaron has played for Wales 7's - maybe that's why he hasn't been picked?? Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic