Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Penalty Try Rules Please?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penalty Try Rules Please?
    Posted: 26 December 2013 at 6:37pm
Before I start, I thought ref had a pretty good game today, better than Nigel.

What is the rule relating to a penalty try?  Ok, so we should have gone for a scrum when AWJ went off, but with 3 infringements in the red zone, why couldn't the ref award a penalty try (apart from there wasn't a clear cut scoring chance).  If it had been 3 scrum infringements, then surely a penalty try would have been given.
Joshua24:15
Sponsored Links

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 6:42pm
there should be a marking on the pitch (i.e. colour the 5 yards prior to the try line in red) and if a team infringes 3 times(same infringment e.g collapsing a maule/lineout/scrum) in that area then automatic pen try. will make it easier for the ref,players and fans to understand
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 6:45pm
its given if the offence prevents a probable try

Edited by RR1972 - 26 December 2013 at 6:45pm
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

So would you say that it was correct not to award the try?

Joshua24:15
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 6:51pm
Thought that a try should have been given on third maul from Scarlets line out
And We Were Singing...
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

So would you say that it was correct not to award the try?

only saw it live, would like to have seen a replay before I comment.

A big game like that and so close to the end it tends to have to be a certain try before it's given

I was shouting for 1 in fairness!

what did the tv commentators say?

Edited by RR1972 - 26 December 2013 at 6:57pm
Scarlet Fanatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 7:08pm
At the time I was calling for a penalty try, but with hindsight I would like to see it on the television. Isn't the rule that a penalty try can only be awarded if it is almost certain that a try would have been scored without the foul play. Without seeing a replay I'm not convinced that it was 'almost certain' that we would have scored. Its a very difficult one!
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 7:52pm
I was dreading the Scarlets opting for a scrum. I never doubted we'd handle the defensive maul as Yanto, Ryan and Jarvis are very good at disrupting a maul. Was it because the previous scrum was won by the Os with a good nudge.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 9:39pm
Was penalty try as he pulled a mail going forward down less than 3 yards from line and was third pen in succession. Was screaming for pen try but Hodges was never going to give it.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Harryfordwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harryfordwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 11:55pm
I am fairly certain that if Ospreys had pulled down the maul again after AWJ got carded ref would have had to give penalty try. 
Rugby fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rugby fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2013 at 12:04am
Was a certain try going to be scored. Not from where I was sitting.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2013 at 7:23am
Nope, we weren't close enough to the line, nor did we have enough forward momentum. A pen and a yellow was the right call.
Rugby fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rugby fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2013 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Nope, we weren't close enough to the line, nor did we have enough forward momentum. A pen and a yellow was the right call.

Spot on. The mistake was not going for the scrum.
swissscarlets View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2013 at 10:43am
Should have taken the scrum as it was 7 against 8.
west is best.
swissscarlets View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2013 at 10:44am
Should have taken the scrum as it was 7 against 8.
west is best.
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2013 at 10:57am
Should have not messed up that final line out which resulted in us going wide.
And We Were Singing...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic