FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stradey remembered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stradey remembered
    Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by redeyes redeyes wrote:

Who would have thought after loosing the first three games of the season we would have secured a play off spot with a game to spare? For all the mistakes of the past, we are still here and in the best position for many years. I don't see how that is accepting mediocrity.

Ymlaen!
If only we could for once realise our own potential though.

We never seem to kick on and achieve. 

Not like we used to.
Can it be that it was all so simple then?

Or has time re-written every line?

And if we had the chance to do it all again,

Would we?  Could we.

Time to let Speedy live with his water coloured memories methinks. Smile

was that in tune ross'o bont?

Only if Dai 9-3 didn't pitch it!

Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:35pm

Who would have thought after loosing the first three games of the season we would have secured a play off spot with a game to spare? For all the mistakes of the past, we are still here and in the best position for many years. I don't see how that is accepting mediocrity.

Ymlaen!

Not like we used to.

Would we?  Could we.

was that in tune ross'o bont?
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:22pm

Ymlaen!

Not like we used to.

Would we?  Could we.

That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:49pm

Ymlaen!

Not like we used to.
We are a small region in a sparsely populated area of Wales without major money... we are over achieving if anything. What are you expecting?
The rugby climate has changed dramatically since Llanelli were a serious force in Europe, you just can't compare then to now. How can't you see that?

Edited by scarletnut - 02 May 2017 at 6:51pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:03pm

Ymlaen!

Not like we used to.

How do you define achievement?
All Time Favourite Scarlets XV

B Davies, M Jones, R King, J Davies, D James, S Jones, D Peel
R Evans, K Owens, J Davies, V Cooper, C Wyatt, S Easterby, J Davies, S Quinnell
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:52pm

Ymlaen!

Not like we used to.

With all due respect we have achieved. Pivac stated that he wanted a play off spot this year and we have done it with a game to spare. I feel therefore that we have kicked on from last season.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:43pm

Ymlaen!

Not like we used to.
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:22am

Ymlaen!
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:26pm

Its all the little simple things that build up to making us mediocre, and nobody on here is brave enough to see it or admit it.

What is your yardstick for measuring  success speedy?  What would we need to achieve before you would be happy?

An "intune" Sospan Fach from the threadbare terrace would be a step in the right direction...
could always ask gareth Malone if he follows the scarlets.Big smile
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:02pm

Originally posted by InTheBath InTheBath wrote:

Considering the financial landscape of European Rugby at the moment, the club is in a good place at the moment. Yes, it would be nice to not lose money every year, have the average crowd nudging up to 9k again, making a european knockout match, not losing a star player every year.....but considering the hand we've been dealt, we're doing ok and we're playing some of the most best rugby since Nigel was here, so well done to the coaches and players.

Things could always be better - I'd like better recruitment, the board to be more active (or visible) in negotiating especially around NDCs, I'd like more sponsors, I'd like an experienced DoR to come in to further improve development across the whole region, I'd like all the annoying little things around PyS to be fixed etc

How we voice these is the important thing though and I am not sure looking back through rose tinted specs at Stradey and complaining about these things is the way to do it.

I agree here, I didnt mean for it to have come across like that. Ive said before I was in support for our move. But i am underwhelmed with the finished article.

Nothing's perfect mate, but come back and stick with the the rest of us still there. There ARE days, (not enough of them maybe), when the Parc DOES feel right and good. It's taken time to get to that point, and still more to be done, but what was the alternative? Have  a look at  http://www.blackandambers.co.uk   and think! That could have been us!   

InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:23pm

Considering the financial landscape of European Rugby at the moment, the club is in a good place at the moment. Yes, it would be nice to not lose money every year, have the average crowd nudging up to 9k again, making a european knockout match, not losing a star player every year.....but considering the hand we've been dealt, we're doing ok and we're playing some of the most best rugby since Nigel was here, so well done to the coaches and players.

Things could always be better - I'd like better recruitment, the board to be more active (or visible) in negotiating especially around NDCs, I'd like more sponsors, I'd like an experienced DoR to come in to further improve development across the whole region, I'd like all the annoying little things around PyS to be fixed etc

How we voice these is the important thing though and I am not sure looking back through rose tinted specs at Stradey and complaining about these things is the way to do it.

I agree here, I didnt mean for it to have come across like that. Ive said before I was in support for our move. But i am underwhelmed with the finished article.

We had a bit of a perfect storm sadly - move annoying some people, rebuilding the team, England and France blasting ahead of us financially, the Roger War, rebuilding the team again....all in a time when people have less money to spend than they've had for years and years.

We need to keep highlighting where the club can improve, in all areas - there are plenty of things they can take from other clubs I am sure. I hope they'll listen and we keep improving on the field, that will go a long way to getting things to an even better place.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:17pm
Yep. Humans just do not like change. Full stop. It's how you embrace change and grow from it that marks the man or woman! We have to look forward folks with open minds. Clap
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:33pm
We had a great bunch of guys work tirelessly to make the move from Stradey come to life.

Hindsight suggests of course, that it just wasn't their sphere of expertise, and so mistakes were made.

But without their vision and effort I really shudder at the consideration of where we would be today.

I'm sure some people swore to the God of their choice that they would never cross the threshold at Parc y Scarlets, others were dis-engaged with the execution, and they too, also chose to stay away.

It reminds me a little of the people steadfastly refusing to buy a Sierra when it replaced the ram shackled, out dated and in-efficient Cortina..Ford sales and shares plummeting....or when the BBC changed the theme music on Match of the Day and viewing figures also plummeted...it's a people thing, just because I don't get it doesn't mean its without some merit.

Ultimately time does add a degree of enchantment of course, I only recall the bright dry games at Stradey and great times with my mates, but having said that I never once challenged the need for change, she was a tired old gal, and I have genuine gratitude and empathy with those that gave everything they had ( and still do) to bring through change.

It wasn't perfect, but what venture of this nature ever is, and when you have a jury of sports supporters ( with very few of them experienced in handling a multi million capital investment in a sports venue) the negatives can get accentuated.

Ultimately the club exists, the product works, but I do recognise that all folks see the same things but through a different lens, and always will.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:11pm

Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by irishwhite irishwhite wrote:

Hi Munster fan here just having a look at your forum to see your thoughts on the semi finals and I came upon this thread,I never realised the feelings that were stirred up by the move from Stradey and the sheer force of opinion on the issue, we have a similar argument about
the Cork/Limerick divide here and the importance of both,having been to Wales on numerous occasions I feel the the Scarlets are probably the closest of all rugby clubs in Europe to Munster with their sense of identity, we have struggled in the last few seasons with reduced crowds and mediocre rugby and it took the death of a legend to reinvigorate our province sadly I feel the divide among your support cannot be good in the long run for your great club.

I too feel the similarities, and it was the passing of one of your legends that reminded me of the similar feelings when our Grav passed away.

Its a family. 

Much of my frustrations have been seeing how we both had similar starts to euro rugby, how we both had a few hard luck stories, but we fell away, where as you guys unearthed a strong nucleus of a side that stayed together and kept fighting.

The timing of Gravs passing really took the lifeblood out of us for a good few seasons.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:03pm

Its all the little simple things that build up to making us mediocre, and nobody on here is brave enough to see it or admit it.

What is your yardstick for measuring  success speedy?  What would we need to achieve before you would be happy?

An "intune" Sospan Fach from the threadbare terrace would be a step in the right direction...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic