Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Our definitive "St Etienne" moment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our definitive "St Etienne" moment
    Posted: 01 April 2018 at 5:51am
For those not familiar with the story it was LFCs now iconic match where they went on to win their 1st european cup.
www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/1964

But much more than that, such was the occasion between the two sides a long lasting bond between the two clubs players and fans was formed, and still remains to this very day.

I cant help but notice the similarities in this event, and our match between our now very good friends from La Rochelle.

Their fans seemed to really appreciate our "anthems" many of them asking and expressing how much they enjoyed our songs.
You really got their sense of excitement as they tread their own European path.

I really hope we get La Rochelle drawn in the same pool so that we can go and visit them. Such was the bond that was formed with them. New Dock Stars was a very special place to be pre match. 

I for one will have a long lasting affection for their club, fans and players.Smile
Sponsored Links

s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 9:23am
I`ll agree with that LOL.........................and Ken was our Emlyn HughesWink

Edited by s.pimpernel - 01 April 2018 at 9:25am
In Pivac we trust
Tiercel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiercel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 10:13am
From the La Rochelle forum.

Edited by Tiercel - 01 April 2018 at 10:16am
1carmscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1carmscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 11:15am
nice to see they enjoyed our hospitality.
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 12:15pm
Very proud of all those folks who made the visiting fans welcome. What a fantastic rugby culture we have at the moment. A special mention also to the fans who travelled from distant corners to make it to the game. I know not everyone can make every game but it really was special to see the warmth that exists towards the Scarlets. What a fantastic occassion.
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
Trefenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trefenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 2:27pm
This was not the first time I have seen La Rochelle play in Llanelli: around 1968 they came and played a pre-season friendly. I have a vivid memory of a young Derek Quinnell involved in a prolonged exchange of punches with an opposing player some distance from where the ball was; when the referee blew his whistle for a scrum both players stopped fighting and happily trotted alongside each other to the other side of the pitch where the referee I don't think even had a word with them about the incident.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 2:34pm
Would love to go there for a match one day
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 3:23pm
Lovely to see this. I speak French pretty well, so would have loved to have been at Dock, my local club. Opportunity missed Da iawn to the Welsh that were there. Grea to see.

I went to see us play Agen in early 2000s, and never got the feeling of being a twin city. We had some chats with locals but for the most part they kept to themselves. Perhaps we were just unlucky. 

Alos a few notes about the Liverpool game (being a fan also)

- Keegan had more hair than body
- Super sub strikes again
- Players were lean, shows how much more footy has developed athletes
Scarlets before Wales
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 3:33pm
Good stuff - I lived in France for 6 years, my wife is French, and I love the place (mostly!). Delighted to hear that their supporters were given a good welcome.

I was not aware of the link between Liverpool FC and St Etienne. I lived in Liverpool in the mid-late 70s, and saw a few matches at Anfield, but as a mainly rugby guy I can't honestly remember which players I saw... one game was definitely a win in the last 8 of the European Cup. Liverpool was quite a fun place, full of 'characters'. Not your dour northerners at all!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic