Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets - Diversity and Inclusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets - Diversity and Inclusion
    Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:30am
After a few weeks where rugby has been making some disappointing headlines across the globe, it's refreshing to see how The Scarlets are clearly working towards becoming an entity that embraces diversity and inclusion. .

The recruitment of many 'family' men, with a strong religious background, is not by chance. The promotion of family values, with players children being prominent post match and in general is also encouraged.

Seeing the likes of Uzair Cassiem join us ( I've racked my brain, but can't think of another follower of the Islamic faith in a Welsh rugby region..) is again a reflection of how we embrace D&I.

The management's desire to have the team leadership group populated by Welsh speakers again reaches out.

These are just some (great) examples...

These are also incredibly attractive attributes to potential sponsors too...see how AIG have featured the All Blacks on this youtube clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sLLEdBgYYY&feature=youtu.be

All in all I'm proud to call myself a supporter of The Scarlets on this journey.
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:40am
top post and fully agree Thumbs Up

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:53am
Great post Wil
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:56am
Great post, really good stuff.

I have always felt like we are a family & community region. I really like the fact that the managers meet players before deciding to sign them & they take into account what they are like away from the pitch before making the final decision.

Something that stood out for me recently was an interview I posted a link to where Wayne Pivac recalled the next captain being picked & he said hold on, I would like someone from the local area & a Welsh speaker to be skipper.
2ndtimeround View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 11:24am
Great post Wil, let’s hope the work been done behind the scenes there creates a long term culture at our club.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 11:39am
This is definitely the way forward. Clap
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by 2ndtimeround 2ndtimeround wrote:

Great post Wil, let’s hope the work been done behind the scenes there creates a long term culture at our club.

This interview with Jon Daniels (also posted in its own thread) underlines the building work that's gone on to get to this point - worth remembering that Jon was responsible for the 'grow our own' academy plan (since replicated by the WRU for all Regions) in building a strong family and community ethos at Scarlets.

It's very much part of the fabric of the club, while welcoming others from outside who share that culture and can add to what we have - and long may that continue.

Twitterer @ebenezer68
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 12:45pm

I'm out of the loop re age group rugby these days, but it's been over a decade since we had a lot of east Europeans especially polish folk move into west wales.

Are any of their kids starting to play rugby for the local sides in the area?  a lot of these east European farm worker / construction worker types are big strong people.

Could be a source of some beefy front 5 forwards for us going forwards.

As for the club it's good we are ready to embrace all creeds and colours long may that continue.

one more observation , we have seen plenty of black players at all regions in fairness.

But for some reason the oriental and Asian community don't seem to have taken as much of interest in the game , that's a lot of bums on seats and potential fans/sponsors/players to tap into

Edited by RR1972 - 26 April 2018 at 12:54pm
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 12:57pm
Nice one, Wil. Lots of positives going on off-the field. A decent new RSA with the governing body will, hopefully, give us a bit more security going forward too.
cymroab View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cymroab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I'm out of the loop re age group rugby these days, but it's been over a decade since we had a lot of east Europeans especially polish folk move into west wales.

Are any of their kids starting to play rugby for the local sides in the area?  a lot of these east European farm worker / construction worker types are big strong people.

As for the club it's good we are ready to embrace all creeds and colours long may that continue.

one more observation , we have seen plenty of black players at all regions in fairness.

But for some reason the oriental and Asian community don't seem to have taken as much of interest in the game , that's a lot of bums on seats and potential fans/sponsors/players to tap into

An awful lot of stereotyping going on in that post. Seems odd in a thread on inclusion.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 1:27pm
Good post, a backround element of our squad that has been becoming more and more evident.

No matter if you are of any faith or not you cannot help notice the difference in environment through this selection process.

A similar study has been made of top  elite sportspeople in general. 

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:06pm
Whereas I'm sure Wil means well, I'm a bit uneasy with this sentence:

"The recruitment of many 'family' men, with a strong religious background, is not by chance."

Now, I'm all for recruiting men with a solid background, and it's certainly true that having a family can cool the rash behaviour that many of us go through as youngsters... but to suggest that being religious is in and of itself desirable is a step too far for me. 

If the person has the work ethic and commitment, it should not matter a jot whether they are religious, or not. Indeed, if they are serious hard working people, it should not matter either if they have families, are gay, or whatever. 

I trust our coaches to carry out 'due diligence' which assesses players by their work ethic, and their ability to behave themselves off the pitch as well, regardless of any other factors of religion or sexuality.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Whereas I'm sure Wil means well, I'm a bit uneasy with this sentence:

"The recruitment of many 'family' men, with a strong religious background, is not by chance."

Now, I'm all for recruiting men with a solid background, and it's certainly true that having a family can cool the rash behaviour that many of us go through as youngsters... but to suggest that being religious is in and of itself desirable is a step too far for me

If the person has the work ethic and commitment, it should not matter a jot whether they are religious, or not. Indeed, if they are serious hard working people, it should not matter either if they have families, are gay, or whatever. 

I trust our coaches to carry out 'due diligence' which assesses players by their work ethic, and their ability to behave themselves off the pitch as well, regardless of any other factors of religion or sexuality.

I am a religous guy, but would agree with your comment. I think Will was trying to express that it probably isn't a bad thing, as church goers in my opinion tend to nearly always be family people. Not that they don't have their faults like non-believers too.

Also as an aside, and mentione din another comment, the term 'oriental' seems to be out of favour. In fact Obamam put it into law that no Govt agency could use it. Although even in these Asian communities in the US, they are not all on board with that. In the US, south Asian refers to people from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh and east Asian (or often just Asian) to Chinese, Japanese and Korean. I assume south-east Asian is also a term that would be used for Thai/Burma/Laos/Cambodia etc but not sure on that last one. Anyway, not trying to foist US terms on Welsh living in Wales/UK but just an FYI. It will probably make its way across the channel. Another Welsh, US based poster - Dafen boy may know more than me on this.
Scarlets before Wales
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:28pm
As always, proud to be a Scarlet.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by cymroab cymroab wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

An awful lot of stereotyping going on in that post. Seems odd in a thread on inclusion.

please tell me what is stero typing on my post?

Everything I have said is factual  and in the spirit of encouraging further buy in from all sections of our community. 

I have not put anything offensive or derogatory on there and that certainly was not my aim so I apologise if comes across in that manner.

I find your input more odd than my post tbh Wacko not to mention smacking a bit of virtue signalling but in the spirit of this thread I'm more than happy to suggest we both  have misunderstood each others postHandshake

Edited by RR1972 - 26 April 2018 at 3:15pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 4:32pm
Hi Aber..I should have qualified my comment, apologies...a religious upbringing/strong family background is not a one dimensional approach, nor a pre condition, of recruitment of course, but it is a characteristic that is clear in our player profile these days. It suggests stability and more maturity.

I don't wish to get drawn in to the debate behind these headlines, but ones below suggest there is a challenge for the global game to consider regarding it's image...not been a great year..

'France rugby players questioned after Edinburgh sexual assault claim'

'IRFU to announce departure of Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding following internal review'

'Israel Folau ‘gay hell’ controversy'

Edited by Wil Chips - 26 April 2018 at 4:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic