Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who will succeed AWJ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who will succeed AWJ?
    Posted: 31 January 2020 at 1:56pm
Great player though he is, Alun Wyn is not getting any younger and sooner or later Wales will have to pick a successor.

I think other possible leaders are also going to be pushed to make the squad for the next RWC (Tips is 30, Ken O is 33 etc.), so my guess is that the coaches will look to a younger generation.

FWIW, I see Wainwright as a very strong candidate - he should be at his peak in 2023, has made a very impressive start to his test career, and is likely to be first pick at 6 for quite a while, despite the back row competition. 

I know it's some way in the future, but who else do you see as viable candidates for the succession?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Great player though he is, Alun Wyn is not getting any younger and sooner or later Wales will have to pick a successor.

I think other possible leaders are also going to be pushed to make the squad for the next RWC (Tips is 30, Ken O is 33 etc.), so my guess is that the coaches will look to a younger generation.

FWIW, I see Wainwright as a very strong candidate - he should be at his peak in 2023, has made a very impressive start to his test career, and is likely to be first pick at 6 for quite a while, despite the back row competition. 

I know it's some way in the future, but who else do you see as viable candidates for the succession?
 Would say some like Cardiff’s Ellis Jenkins would be a prime target, if he stays fit for an extended period. 
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 2:08pm
Ellis Jenkins seemed to be golden boy before he got injured - more than likely will be him 
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 2:12pm
A Hero will Rise.  

(said in a 'I am Spartacus' sort of a way).

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 31 January 2020 at 3:11pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 2:30pm
I thought the plan was to try and nurture AWJ through to the next WC with limited game time etc?
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 3:04pm
Ellis Jenkins is far from guaranteed a squad spot let alone a starter spot, can't see how it could possibly be him.

Wainwright is highly spoken of, could be another second row like Hill or possibly someone like Sanjay as a left field option. Things may look quite different in a few years though when AWJ packs it in.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 3:05pm
The two natural options would be Cory Hill and Ellis Jenkins. All depends on how well they develop by the time AWJ calls it a day.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 3:16pm
I think there's already plenty to suggest that Ball and Hill offer more as a second row pairing than any other combination that could take the field.As far as captaincy goes,if Faletau remains as peerless as he has always been then he would be the natural candidate.However,he seems an unassuming sort of man who avoids the media side of things and all the nonsense that goes with it these days,so possibly he wouldn't be interested.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 3:36pm
Your right ref. Faletau. Quietly spoken is an under statement.

In time I think Anscombe would be a candidate.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 3:48pm
I'd play Tipuric, Navidi, Young and Cubby before Ellis Jenkins and I'd imagine some of the next batch of young 7's will overtake him sooner rather than later.

Tidy enough player, but Wales captain? Just don't see it.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 3:51pm
For me a fit Ellis Jenkins in 2023 will be a shoe in at 7 & captain. He would be pushing Tips for the shirt now if fit. Jenkins will face real competition though from our Dan Davis for the 7 shirt. 
Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 3:57pm
Put it simply, the press in wales like Ellis Jenkins they loved him before his injuries. Add a “celebrity” girlfriend into the picture with Sophie Evans and it gives them something to talk about! But yes I agree there are a few infront of him for a test place:
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 3:58pm
11 caps and he's nearly 27, Cubby's got 8 caps. Just hasn't got any standout attributes for me, but we'll wait and see.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:04pm
For me now that Warburton has gone he is the best over the ball at the breakdown in Wales. My own preference at 7 is someone who can link play and is good over the ball - this is not Tips but Cubby. Jenkins, like Warburton before him would be better suited to 6 in my opinion. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:07pm
whats the latest on ellis jenkins injury
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

11 caps and he's nearly 27, Cubby's got 8 caps. Just hasn't got any standout attributes for me, but we'll wait and see.
He’s pretty outstanding at the breakdown IMO
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic