Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glasgow v Scarlets match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dai Guevara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glasgow v Scarlets match thread
    Posted: 21 October 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Ken set to miss 3 - 4 months.

And absolutely no repercussions for the foul that injured him. It's on videotape and if they want to cut out dirty play as well as accidents then there is no reason why the committee/judge that ruled on Lousi cannot penalise the perpetrator. This they have to do, if they are serious about eliminating thuggery from the game.
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 10:45am
Josh targeting a return to play in December.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 10:11am
Ken set to miss 3 - 4 months.
Jones2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

He’s 2 from 5 thats not a win rate. I’d have expected 3 from 5, losing to Glasgow and Toulon away but winning the others. Alas not to be, there needs to be a turnaround in fortunes. Discipline has lost us 3 games, selection we’ll debate until the cows come home but i think we can all agree silly penalties are rife. 

2 games in and we head the league in pens (26).
Up down or sideways that has to change.

As was mentioned last night in the "Coaches" meeting, they are very concerned about it & are looking to cut the penalty rate down to 10 or less

in fairness we play with a 7 that always attacks the ball at the breakdown be it cubby or josh, those type of guys do tend to win a lot of turnovers but also get pinged a lot, that's the trade off I guess

Our Line out is a bigger worry for me, we look really shaky there and are missing shingler big time in that area
I’d accept some penalties from players going hard at the breakdown, as you said it’s the trade off. I’d also accept the penalties conceded under pressure less than 10 metres from our line. What is infuriating however is the stupid, mindless, idiotic penalties that we seem to be conceding at an alarming rate, especially when compared to how many of said penalties are conceded from the top teams in the league.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 12:16pm
I'm kind of wishing we were going in for Rowlands....but then again we wouldn't see much of him during the international periods.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 12:14pm
Ball is not a great lineout option. Expect more from an established international second row. 
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 11:16am

He’s 2 from 5 thats not a win rate. I’d have expected 3 from 5, losing to Glasgow and Toulon away but winning the others. Alas not to be, there needs to be a turnaround in fortunes. Discipline has lost us 3 games, selection we’ll debate until the cows come home but i think we can all agree silly penalties are rife. 

As was mentioned last night in the "Coaches" meeting, they are very concerned about it & are looking to cut the penalty rate down to 10 or less

in fairness we play with a 7 that always attacks the ball at the breakdown be it cubby or josh, those type of guys do tend to win a lot of turnovers but also get pinged a lot, that's the trade off I guess

Our Line out is a bigger worry for me, we look really shaky there and are missing shingler big time in that area

Yes but we have other forwards who, good players that they are, are constantly getting pinged. Kalamafoni, Ball, Lousi spring to mind.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 11:10am

I can't help but feel that the majority of those penalties were given for the tackler not rolling away quick enough. These days you have to show you're making an effort almost as soon as you hit the deck.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 10:58am

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 10:29am
Thought I would take some time before commenting this week. Whichever way you look at it we got again on Sunday exactly what we deserved - nothing. Tactically Wilson had worked us out before kick off. When was the last time did Glasgow elect to play a low tempo kick it out on the full give them the throw in type of game? Our lineout was shocking all the way through. 

Our discipline is woeful. Tempo in attack is stilted and changed when Patchell came on and we were chasing the game. This is not a criticism of Dan by the way as he is playing to the coaches gameplan. There were some plus points, not many but some - thought Rogers, one hand off aside, continues to look at home at this level. Cubby, given some minutes, started to look back to his old self. His ability to get into the wide channels makes him different to Josh & more suited to our best way of playing which, however, is not the way this coaching team set us up to play at the moment. 

Samson was superb and is back to near his best. Steff Evans continues to give 100% & was clearly the most dangerous threequarter on the field. 

Leadership was non existent and I am afraid Foxy looks totally disinterested. On one occasion he just looked on as Cawdor threw himself in front of the try scorer under the posts. It has been said many times that our season structure robs us of our best players consistently. We now enter a two month period without 15 players, with Sam banned (quite rightly 100% red) & Jonny & Aaron long term injured.

I said last week, to much derision, that I felt our coaching team were taking us in the wrong direction of gameplan favouring a forward orientated approach when we don't have a lineout worthy of the name. As yet I have seen nothing which makes me think otherwise. Many posters keep mentioning our last bad start in our title winning year. Of course there are comparisons but the big difference for me is that during that season we tended to lose games because our finishing ability was poor despite creating many chances and our attacking ability at red zone lineouts was poor. 

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 7:26am
Yep. There were a few dubious one's on Sunday, but they were in the minority really. Lying on the wrong side/not rolling away was the most obvious one to fix.
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 7:11am

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 5:11am

Jones2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 11:14pm

In the last two games we’ve actually had spells when we’ve been playing well (although struggling to score tries) yet it’s the spells of conceding consecutive penalties that’s killed us in both games in my opinion. Sort out the discipline and the rest should come as we’ll have an opportunity to build phases and hopefully score more.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 9:00pm
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

London Irish and Highlanders are not comparable clubs for judging a coach.

seems a paradox but when he trained Highlanders, their defence was terrible, but surely defence is also an attitude player skill..
For Delaney, Scarlets experience is his great occasion. For me he s a great assistant coach, but as head coach needs to demostrate something more and his start isn t so encoraging...but it s to early to judge the job.
As I understand Scarlets choice about the role of head coach. Mooar exit was a shocl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic