FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nigel Owens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nigel Owens
    Posted: 12 December 2020 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Being a scarlet fan himself, he should never have reffed us. He's always over compensated towards the opposition so that he looks neutral. When in fsct he never has been when reffing us.
He’s not a Scarlets fan
I feel a Star Wars analogy incoming.
usual short i know but you don't statement without any info attatched Embarrassed
You two are off again! Xmas truce ? 😉
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Being a scarlet fan himself, he should never have reffed us. He's always over compensated towards the opposition so that he looks neutral. When in fsct he never has been when reffing us.
He’s not a Scarlets fan
usual short i know but you don't statement without any info attatched Embarrassed
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 1:08pm

He’s not a Scarlets fan
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 12:17pm

He’s not a Scarlets fan
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 10:23am
Think the miking up of refs really helped turn them into the main person on the pitch, which isn't really how it should be but there you go.

Nige always tries to produce a good game when he is reffing and speaks to the players very well. He got to the very top in his career and as someone Welsh I am proud of him. At the personal level his struggles have set an important discussion going plus hopefully helped many. 

There is an aspect of entertainer for sure and I daresay being Welsh meant he had a better chance of reffing WC finals! I still think he did an excellent job and will go down as one of the best. I hope he goes into coaching young refs and I'm sure he'll be doing media work when he ends his career. 
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 10:21am
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 10:21am
Whatever his qualities as a referee,it is undeniable that he has used his position positively,both to champion the cause of gay people in the world of sport,and also to demonstrate the vibrancy of the Welsh language.Pob clod iddo fe!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

As much as I always look with some trepidation if he’s refereeing us against the Ospreys (no need to explain why) he is the best referee of the professional era without a shadow of a doubt.
He is the only referee in the Pro14 worthy enough to referee in any other league and competition.
Just hope that he goes into coaching or even heads up the refereeing in the Pro14 (he’s got to be capable of doing a better job of improving the quality of the officialdom in the league than Garner has done during his tenure).
Is he the best of the pro era? I can think of six better. Also I’d rather an official who referees to the letter of the law rather than how he feels the game is going. 
This, for me is the issue with Owens.

He lets far too many infringements go unpunished, for the benefit of a flowing game.

I also have my doubts about the safety standards for players during games when he's officiating, largely due to the previous point.

I won't start on the errors he's made when officiating us...
He was the best referee in the world about 6 years ago but he’s been very average for a long time. You aren’t allowed to hold him to account in Wales but a few years back he did an interview stating he’s never read a rugby law book. I mean come on. And you’re right he doesn’t referee to the letter of the law he picks and chooses what forward passes, breakdown offences etc he wants to give. With him it depends on how he feels the game is going. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 11:43pm

As much as I always look with some trepidation if he’s refereeing us against the Ospreys (no need to explain why) he is the best referee of the professional era without a shadow of a doubt.
He is the only referee in the Pro14 worthy enough to referee in any other league and competition.
Just hope that he goes into coaching or even heads up the refereeing in the Pro14 (he’s got to be capable of doing a better job of improving the quality of the officialdom in the league than Garner has done during his tenure).
Is he the best of the pro era? I can think of six better. Also I’d rather an official who referees to the letter of the law rather than how he feels the game is going. 
This, for me is the issue with Owens.

He lets far too many infringements go unpunished, for the benefit of a flowing game.

I also have my doubts about the safety standards for players during games when he's officiating, largely due to the previous point.

I won't start on the errors he's made when officiating us...
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 10:31pm

Edited by scarletnut - 11 December 2020 at 10:33pm
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 7:31pm
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Lots of pretty ordinary commentary about Nigel around in the Welsh rugby community down the years. We have a tendency to punish our own when success comes along.

For me, he's attained world class status in his profession, achieved all there is to achieve really. Fantastic.

I can readily see him reffing locally, at any level, for years to come, just loves the game.

He’s gone out with some style, retiring after the event. He didn’t use his century landmark to say this is it. He took it as another game and has decided to quit while he is well ahead; well before others are calling for his head and saying he’s not as good as he used to be.

Few do that.

Yes, he’s made a clean sweep of the refereeing career targets. He’s created more interest in the game partly through his personality and repartee with the players. 

What often isn’t mentioned as much as it might is the non-coincidence of games he’s involved in being very entertaining and free flowing affairs to the extent of the playing abilities present.

He makes room for others at the top and we all have to hope they fill it with more quality candidates.

Tough act to follow.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Lots of pretty ordinary commentary about Nigel around in the Welsh rugby community down the years. We have a tendency to punish our own when success comes along.

For me, he's attained world class status in his profession, achieved all there is to achieve really. Fantastic.

I can readily see him reffing locally, at any level, for years to come, just loves the game.

Is that a welsh thing or is it similar in all countries? Its very odd isnt it? I recall terry griff saying to me and a few lads down the snooker hall once, the day he won the world title was the last day he could go out for a drink in llanelli. Sad. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 5:23pm

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 5:05pm
Would it be a surprise to see him invited on to the Scarlets Board when he retires? Lives locally as well and he has learned so much about rugby in his long career all over the world. It would be a prestigious high profile  appointment? Discuss 😉
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 4:35pm
While he hasnt always had his best games reffing us , particularly against the Osprey he has been an excellent ref , particularly in the bigger games,  and his control of players and empathy with the game is second to none.
Some of his quotes , remarks or one-liners with the players have been outstanding as well.
Well done Nigel  , you have been a credit to Wales.
saundersfoot scarlets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic