Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toulon Friday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 11:34am
Wink
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

I'd go for-

15. Leigh 14. Sanjay/McNichol 13. Jonny 12 Steff H. 11. Steff E.        10. Costelow 9. Hardy
1. Wyn 2. Ryan 3. Javan 4. Louisi 5. Tex 6. Blade 7. Jac 8. Sione

16. Taylor/Marc 17. Rob 18. Scholtz 19. Morgan Jones 20. Josh 21. Cawdor 22. O'Brien 23. Foxy/Asquith.
there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that delaney would start with abbott

Took a moment thereClapClapClap
. Only hardy souls would get that cryptic clue and if they do they can then certainly rest on their laurels! 😉

Edited by reesytheexile - 15 December 2020 at 12:24pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 12:27pm
Or Stan(d) on their laurels David! 
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 12:43pm
The boys who played on Saturday deserve another run out, barring injuries.

Dan Jones played really well in fairness, so the call for Costello to start, considering his inexperience at this level, on a wet night at PYS, is a bit premature. He seems to be a very good prospect, but I would take Dan's excellent kicking game at the moment. Hopefully he will come up with another moment of magic as he did for Cawdors try.

If Ball, Lee and Conbeer miss out, then I would start Tex in the row with Lousi. Keep their temperament in check and that will be a formidable pairing. Javan in at 3, with Werner on the bench. Mcnichol if fit on the wing. If not, I would go for Asquith. Has played a few games for us on the wing, and I feel he offers a bit more pace and rugby guile than Morgan.

Want to say that I haven't been the biggest fan of Steff Hughes, but he's thriving in then role as captain at the moment. His defence is really strong and is such an intelligent footballer. We now have 5 high quality centres, where I wouldn't mind any of them starting.

What is clear, we have so much high quality depth in almost every position. It will be difficult to keep everyone happy, but they're good problems to have.

Hopefully the WRU and Welsh government can agree some funding in a similar vein as the other home nations, so that we can continue to develop this squad.

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Dan Jones played really well in fairness, so the call for Costello to start, considering his inexperience at this level, on a wet night at PYS, is a bit premature. He seems to be a very good prospect, but I would take Dan's excellent kicking game at the moment. Hopefully he will come up with another moment of magic as he did for Cawdors try.

If Ball, Lee and Conbeer miss out, then I would start Tex in the row with Lousi. Keep their temperament in check and that will be a formidable pairing. Javan in at 3, with Werner on the bench. Mcnichol if fit on the wing. If not, I would go for Asquith. Has played a few games for us on the wing, and I feel he offers a bit more pace and rugby guile than Morgan.

Want to say that I haven't been the biggest fan of Steff Hughes, but he's thriving in then role as captain at the moment. His defence is really strong and is such an intelligent footballer. We now have 5 high quality centres, where I wouldn't mind any of them starting.

What is clear, we have so much high quality depth in almost every position. It will be difficult to keep everyone happy, but they're good problems to have.

Hopefully the WRU and Welsh government can agree some funding in a similar vein as the other home nations, so that we can continue to develop this squad.

I can't agree that Dan had a good game, for me he had an ok game. He was caught in possession a couple of times & looked a little lost, whether that was because of a lack of options I don't know. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 12:57pm

I can't agree that Dan had a good game, for me he had an ok game. He was caught in possession a couple of times & looked a little lost, whether that was because of a lack of options I don't know. 

I agree with you about Dan - he looked very hesitant and not at all on his game. Look it was a wonderful win but you have to assess the opposition who frankly were pretty woeful. Mercer made enough line breaks himself to have won the game let alone the breaks that Matavesi made at will during the first half. 

That tells me we are struggling in the 10/12 channel. Also in attack the lack of pace in that area allows opposition to drift wider making it more difficult for our outside backs. Inject some pace into that area & suddenly our back 3 will have more space and chances.

If our gameplan for a poor weather game on Friday is to kick and try to match their pack I fear it will end as it usually does - badly. We, in my opinion, have to be bold and take the game to them with pace and flair.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Or Stan(d) on their laurels David! 
😂 Very good. I think this wild joshing has gone on long enough don’t you?😂
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I agree with you about Dan - he looked very hesitant and not at all on his game. Look it was a wonderful win but you have to assess the opposition who frankly were pretty woeful. Mercer made enough line breaks himself to have won the game let alone the breaks that Matavesi made at will during the first half. 

That tells me we are struggling in the 10/12 channel. Also in attack the lack of pace in that area allows opposition to drift wider making it more difficult for our outside backs. Inject some pace into that area & suddenly our back 3 will have more space and chances.

If our gameplan for a poor weather game on Friday is to kick and try to match their pack I fear it will end as it usually does - badly. We, in my opinion, have to be bold and take the game to them with pace and flair.
I was there on Saturday and i can tell you that our backs had no ball first half,the only decent one we had Steff scored from it... Cawdor kicked alot of it away but we lived off scraps..Matavesi had all front front ball but used it very poorly,he did attack the 10/12 channel but didn't make much headway that lead to much..

2nd half we were better,there were more options,scored a good try with good vision by Dan then a great off load by Rob..We should have finished off another one but for a poor pass by Hardy...Dan does lack pace agree but on Saturday 2nd half he took control for the first 20 mins of that half..Under pressure his clearence kick from in his own goal area was very good and got us out of jail..His line kicking has never been an issue,he also did well for Hardy's try..On Saturday he was the one doing all the team talks during the breaks in play and was the voice we could all hear in the stands,much to the displeasure of the Bath faithfullLOL

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 7:28pm

Nothing against Dan personally but he’s not great at the moment. He did well for the try but his defence is pretty poor and he doesn’t really control the game well enough. He’s played well in the past but he’s not at his best at the moment.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 8:47pm
Dan wasn't at his best on Saturday, but I wouldn't start Sam C against Toulon on a wet Friday night facing the likes of Etzebeth Parrise and Taofifenua.

Happy to see him start against the Os the week afterwards though. We might rest a few regular first teamers like Sione and Jac Morgs over Xmas

Edited by Wasp - 15 December 2020 at 8:49pm
We're still still here!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 9:08pm
Yep. Dan for me. As I said in my match summary, he and Steff were attracting more traffic down their channel than is the norm though. 30 tackles between them last week. Bit of back row assistance might be called for down that route.
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Dan wasn't at his best on Saturday, but I wouldn't start Sam C against Toulon on a wet Friday night facing the likes of Etzebeth Parrise and Taofifenua.

Happy to see him start against the Os the week afterwards though. We might rest a few regular first teamers like Sione and Jac Morgs over Xmas
I agree that Dan probably wasn't at his best but I would still start him on Friday against Toulon particularly given the likely poor conditions.
I don't think this game is the time to start Sam Costellow but his time will come. 
saundersfoot scarlets
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2020 at 7:37am
I'd certainly go with Dan on Friday.He won't do anything risky like make a break or try to beat a man,he's very vocal,and,unlike AOB or Costellow,he comes from Carmarthen.It might rain,too.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2020 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I'd certainly go with Dan on Friday.He won't do anything risky like make a break or try to beat a man,he's very vocal,and,unlike AOB or Costellow,he comes from Carmarthen.It might rain,too.
it's always raining in west wales and it's getting worse as i said to my neighbour last night when he borrowed my nail gun,i said "that's a big boat noah"LOL
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2020 at 9:27am
Is Cubby injured?
Give Blood, Play Rugby
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2020 at 9:38am
weather is shocking today, will suit toloun and their monster pack

get the line out right and we can win Friday, will be a tough game but we can do it

a dry day would suit us more these big units around

looking forward to it even though 5.30 is a bit of rush to get home to watch it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic