Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toulon watch .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Andrew Brace IRRU referee. Born in Cardiff to Irish parents and played his school rugby in Cardiff area I gather. 

Brace was super strict on the breakdown for the Pro-14 final, at times penalising players immediately for falling on the wrong side, and for not rolling away even when they seemed to be trapped, so maybe worth holding in opposing players!

As for Foxy - I'd be reluctant to risk him, TBH.

If you aren’t going to risk him for a European quarter final when are you going to risk him?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Andrew Brace IRRU referee. Born in Cardiff to Irish parents and played his school rugby in Cardiff area I gather. 

Brace was super strict on the breakdown for the Pro-14 final, at times penalising players immediately for falling on the wrong side, and for not rolling away even when they seemed to be trapped, so maybe worth holding in opposing players!

If you aren’t going to risk him for a European quarter final when are you going to risk him?

So, you'd take a chance on a player who hasn't turned out for 10+ months, when a recurrence could put him out for a few more? I wouldn't. He won't be match fit or used to the pace of the game after that lay-off. Bring him back when he is definitely fit.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Looking forward to this game. Should be in quick and dry conditions, so should be an exciting game. Quite a few selection headaches for the coaches, but if everyone (apart from Shingler) is fit, I would go for something like the following:

15 Halfpenny
14 Liam
13 Foxy
12 John Bleddyn
11 Steff Evans
10 Dan Jones
9 Cawdor
8 Cassiem
7 Mceloeud 
6 Blade
5 Lousi
4 Ball
3 Lee
2 Ken
1 Wyn

Subs : Rob Evs, Elias, Werner, Tex, Kalamafoni, Cubby, Hardy and Patchell

6/2 split, where Cubby could slot in as a back if required.

Leaving out a lot of quality there. Can't remember us having so much depth and quality to our squad.

John Bleddyn?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Looking forward to this game. Should be in quick and dry conditions, so should be an exciting game. Quite a few selection headaches for the coaches, but if everyone (apart from Shingler) is fit, I would go for something like the following:

15 Halfpenny
14 Liam
13 Foxy
12 John Bleddyn
11 Steff Evans
10 Dan Jones
9 Cawdor
8 Cassiem
7 Mceloeud 
6 Blade
5 Lousi
4 Ball
3 Lee
2 Ken
1 Wyn

Leaving out a lot of quality there. Can't remember us having so much depth and quality to our squad.

John Bleddyn?

Johnny Williams. His full name apparently is John Bleddyn Rhys Williams. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 7:40pm

So, you'd take a chance on a player who hasn't turned out for 10+ months, when a recurrence could put him out for a few more? I wouldn't. He won't be match fit or used to the pace of the game after that lay-off. Bring him back when he is definitely fit.
He should be on the bench. He’s been passed fit to play 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

15 Halfpenny
14 Liam
13 Foxy
12 John Bleddyn
11 Steff Evans
10 Dan Jones
9 Cawdor
8 Cassiem
7 Mceloeud 
6 Blade
5 Lousi
4 Ball
3 Lee
2 Ken
1 Wyn

John Bleddyn?

Johnny Williams. His full name apparently is John Bleddyn Rhys Williams. 
Ah Bleddyn Willams- the Prince of Centres from the ‘ 50’s 😍 👍
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 8:30pm

If the reports are that they are leaving it to the last minute to decide, that to me suggests there is enough worry to not bother. I'd rather have him fresh for the start of the new season than possibly injuring himself in what is not really a very important game in the lesser of the European cups.
Taffy Toffee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Toffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 10:18pm
I don't think the risk is getting injured, but just not being up to the pace at this level. A fully fit Foxy is undoubtedly good enough but will he be up to speed for a game of this magnitude? 
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Biggest strongest available team, Tex and Jake to start, with Sam on bench , back row to start , Cassiem,Kalamfoni and MacLeod , with Blade and Cubby on bench . Rob is also out  Looks like only Foxy will be available out of Sanjay and Patch...So a 6-2 split on bench .
Tex only returned to training today. I doubt he’s come back in good enough condition to do 50 minutes v Toulon to the required standard. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Biggest strongest available team, Tex and Jake to start, with Sam on bench , back row to start , Cassiem,Kalamfoni and MacLeod , with Blade and Cubby on bench . Rob is also out  Looks like only Foxy will be available out of Sanjay and Patch...So a 6-2 split on bench .
Tex only returned to training today. I doubt he’s come back in good enough condition to do 50 minutes v Toulon to the required standard. 
He’s been training full on with the Fijian sevens squad 
Dai Guevara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 10:12am
What are the chances of Patch and Sanjay making the squad?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

What are the chances of Patch and Sanjay making the squad?

As stated about Dai - Patch, Liam & Rob are not available. 
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 11:31am
Foxy needs to be put straight in otherwise the same dilemma about match fitness will be there if we make the semi and final. He’s an experienced world class player who knows what he’s doing even if he is rusty. If and when Wales are in the same position, they will put him straight back in, and that’s at test level.

He hasn’t played much for us for two years and hasn’t got too long left in his career. This is a great opportunity for him to be part of a tilt at a second trophy as a Scarlet. 

Edited by Mike - 16 September 2020 at 11:45am
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 11:44am
Foxy and Williams centre pairing, Asquith on the bench for his versatility should the worst case scenario happen he can cover wing and centre with Angus as cover for fly half/fullback. I don’t envy Delaney, he has tough calls to make in the backs and back row. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 11:45am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Foxy and Williams centre pairing, Asquith on the bench for his versatility should the worst case scenario happen he can cover wing and centre with Angus as cover for fly half/fullback. I don’t envy Delaney, he has tough calls to make in the backs and back row

I think the only call he has to make is at 6 really. Cassiem & Josh to start at 8 & 7.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 11:47am
Halfpenny, Jmac, Fox, JBW, Steff, Dan, Cawdor
Wyn, Ken, Samson, Jake, Lousi, Cassiem, Kalamafoni, Macleod

Price, Elias, Kruger, Tex, Blade, Hardy, Angus, Hughes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic