Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

U23 Team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U23 Team
    Posted: 02 April 2018 at 9:46pm
Haven’t seen this mentioned on here yet so thought I’d make a thread.
From next season the step between academies and the first team will be under 23 teams. Details of the change can be found here https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/seismic-changes-welsh-rugby-revealed-14404806

Without wishing to get into the politics, what is our team likely to look like?

1) Rhys Fawcett 2) Daf Hughes 3) Javan Sebastian 4) Josh Helps 5) ? 6) Tom Phillips 7) Shaun Evans 8) Josh MacLeod
9) Dec Smith 10) ? 11) Ioan Nicholas 12) Scott Lloyd 13) Corey Baldwin 14) Ryan Conbeer 15) Tomi Lewis

Obviously there will be some older players involved I’d imagine and also scope for some younger players who have been playing well for the semi pros this year like Ellis Thomas, Lloyd Pike, Kalum Evans, Josh Batcup, Morgan Griffiths, Matthew Moore to be involved.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 10:08pm
I suppose you could add Dan Davies, Taylor Davies, Tom Rogers, Jack Maynard and Billy McBryde if the side was being chosen now, although who knows what changes will be made in the summer for next season. We could certainly use some new locks and half-backs to give us more quality depth throughout. 
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 10:57pm
One or two of those may be too old by then anyway. Assuming U23 eans you have to be 22 when the season starts, Javan Sebastian would aready be out - 24 in September this year.

I do like the idea of this league and perhaps the BBC could show this as they have lost the Pro14.
Scarlets before Wales
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

One or two of those may be too old by then anyway. Assuming U23 eans you have to be 22 when the season starts, Javan Sebastian would aready be out - 24 in September this year.

I do like the idea of this league and perhaps the BBC could show this as they have lost the Pro14.

Interesting. If it is on tv it could be a source of additional income too.
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 2:48am
Exactly.
Scarlets before Wales
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 7:31am
I havent really sussed this one out yet....Theyre reducing the prem to 12 clubs and bring into u23 regional teams to play each other and scots and irish u23 teams
It seems to be trying to get those fringe young players onto the professional ladder and into good habits etc

Im summizing that some young players on the fringes who end up at the rfc teams are in danger of not fully professionalizing their preparation and could lose their direction and opportunity to turn pro
It will upset the 4 teams missing out on the welsh prem and the cost will affect the funding to semi pro clubs...BUT it may help these fringe young players, at least thats the idea I THINK>?

Edited by roy munster - 03 April 2018 at 7:32am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 8:22am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

We’ll be able to select a certain number of players over the age of 23.

These will effectively be A teams.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 9:05am
I would like to think some RGC boys will also join the U23 set-up, good looking side although how the changes will affect that remains to be seen.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 9:24am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

I havent really sussed this one out yet....Theyre reducing the prem to 12 clubs and bring into u23 regional teams to play each other and scots and irish u23 teams
It seems to be trying to get those fringe young players onto the professional ladder and into good habits etc

Im summizing that some young players on the fringes who end up at the rfc teams are in danger of not fully professionalizing their preparation and could lose their direction and opportunity to turn pro
It will upset the 4 teams missing out on the welsh prem and the cost will affect the funding to semi pro clubs...BUT it may help these fringe young players, at least thats the idea I THINK>?

The Idea is that the standard of play, fitness and coaching in the Prem is too far below even U20 levels, and farming our younger players out to Quins/Llanelli/Drovers isn't really providing them with the best preparation to make the step up to P14 rugby

The plan is exactly the same as it was in 2003 with experienced pros. Concentrate the best talent into 4 hubs with professional coaching, strength and conditioning, top class facilities rather than a semi pro environment training two evenings per week. Then play games against similar young pros in simialr situations rather than against Bargoed or Cross Keys (no disrespect to those clubs).

It's a very sensible plan, and will hopefully end the practice of WRU funding being used to pay good players who will never ever become professional players. In theory it will increase strength in depth at the four regions. Well in practice it has to as the U23 squads will be contracted to us. 

Edited by Wasp - 03 April 2018 at 9:25am
We're still still here!
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 9:25am
1) Rhys Fawcett
2) Daf Hughes
3) Javan Sebastian (or suitable option)
4) Josh Helps
5) Tom Phillips
6) Shaun Evans
7) Dan Davis
8) Josh MacLeod

9) Dec Smith
10) Ioan Hughes
11) Ioan Nicholas

12) Scott Lloyd
13) Corey Baldwin
14) Ryan Conbeer
15) Tomi Lewis

Edited by supertaf - 03 April 2018 at 9:26am
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

The Idea is that the standard of play, fitness and coaching in the Prem is too far below even U20 levels, and farming our younger players out to Quins/Llanelli/Drovers isn't really providing them with the best preparation to make the step up to P14 rugby

The plan is exactly the same as it was in 2003 with experienced pros. Concentrate the best talent into 4 hubs with professional coaching, strength and conditioning, top class facilities rather than a semi pro environment training two evenings per week. Then play games against similar young pros in simialr situations rather than against Bargoed or Cross Keys (no disrespect to those clubs).

It's a very sensible plan, and will hopefully end the practice of WRU funding being used to pay good players who will never ever become professional players. In theory it will increase strength in depth at the four regions. Well in practice it has to as the U23 squads will be contracted to us. 

You make a good argument in favour - I was in two minds, but after reading this, I'm more inclined to think it is a good idea. My main concern was that players may not get enough game time, when they need experience to develop. I'm not sure how many fixtures are intended for this new set-up.

As for the actual squad, I'd be loath to see players such as Macleod - who is already clearly good enough to take his place in the Scarlets squad - dropped down to U-23 level. If they're good enough, they should spend their time with the first team - IMO.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 10:27am
I think players like McLoud & Nicholas are past the under 23's level but the principle seems good. Anything which improves the coaching standards and therefore the professional attitude & preparation is to be applauded. 
InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 10:33am
U23 will be A teams in all but name surely, with some players given some gametime to work on certain things, come back from injury as well as for younger players to play and develop.

I'd imagine A teams would have been the name if it weren't for the B& cup and premiership select outcry.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

You make a good argument in favour - I was in two minds, but after reading this, I'm more inclined to think it is a good idea. My main concern was that players may not get enough game time, when they need experience to develop. I'm not sure how many fixtures are intended for this new set-up.

As for the actual squad, I'd be loath to see players such as Macleod - who is already clearly good enough to take his place in the Scarlets squad - dropped down to U-23 level. If they're good enough, they should spend their time with the first team - IMO.
10-11 I believe. Playing the other 3 home/away gives you 6, and hopefully there will be some cross-border fixtures as well. 

I think the idea is that in November, February and March the U23s will train with the 1sts (and play if good enough). In December there will be no fixtures so they can have tailored development (skills/ strength/ conditioning) etc. 

So the ethos seems to be less games of a higher and faster standard on better surfaces, more coaching and development and a few games with the seniors for those good enough. 

In theory this should mean more competition for places, which is good
We're still still here!
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

1) Rhys Fawcett
2) Daf Hughes
3) Javan Sebastian (or suitable option)
4) Josh Helps
5) Tom Phillips
6) Shaun Evans
7) Dan Davis
8) Josh MacLeod

9) Dec Smith
10) Ioan Hughes
11) Ioan Nicholas

12) Scott Lloyd
13) Corey Baldwin
14) Ryan Conbeer
15) Tomi Lewis

Thomas Rogers a starter for me
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by InTheBath InTheBath wrote:

U23 will be A teams in all but name surely, with some players given some gametime to work on certain things, come back from injury as well as for younger players to play and develop.

I'd imagine A teams would have been the name if it weren't for the B& cup and premiership select outcry.
Spot on !
We're still still here!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic