Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

U23 Team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

It’s disingenuous and a little disrespectful to use the term ‘boot money’ when premiership clubs pay players legally and players pay their income tax in the same way as any other employee. The issue with the premiership is and has always been the huge disparity in wages between the various clubs which doesn’t make for a balanced, competitive league.

Ok fair point Ill drop that term at semi pro level, though below that level it is boot money and money down the drain. But still even at premiership level , ok clubs rightly have ambitons, but to have some paying big wages at semi pro, creating huge wage inflation doesnt really do the clubs or welsh rugby any good long term, especially those without benefactors who can barely afford it...Some clubs caught up in a wage war in the semi pro league and below, have ended up spending so much they had to abandon their youth teams. That's not good for welsh rugby long term

Are there more grants available now to those clubs running more youth teams, I read something about this a few years back. That seems a sensible approach to reward those clubs and encourage more clubs to bring in more kids and increase playing numbers in communities. This is where the strength of welsh rugby lies. In the kids coming through, the grass roots clubs right through to the academies and the elite pro game. 

I agree with you. Since the Premiership, for various reasons it seems, teams like Neath, then Ponty, then Merthyr have bought players to win titles but appear to have given little regard for player development. I don't see the benefit to Welsh rugby, but there must be a place for mid level guys who can't/don't want to make pro level.  And I do blame the WRU and the clubs (big and small) who wouldn't vote for change in setting something up well initially. Effectively, we are all to blame. But you are quite right, money should only be given where it helps coaching youth and that area of the game. 

Scarlets before Wales
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2018 at 8:43am
Lets try not to heap pressure on young Carwyn too soon.!!! The lad is 16/17 and surely they will let him develop through the age grade system before they look for him to step up to the under 23's. We have Josh McLoud who is developing very nicely ahead of him.

He has clearly been identified as one for the future just as the Vunipolas and Faletau were but a lot can go wrong as we all know. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 3:54pm
Just giving this a bump up.

With the season now over and preperation / pre season around the corner, so to will be the u23s set up.
I am looking forward to this as we have a handy squad that can provide an excting look to this side.

Not sure who will be coaching. Will it be Emyr Phillips & Dai Flanagan?
Plus hopefully players needing game time will also be playing...excited by the season and development of these lads...the next gen:
15. Tomi Lewis
14. Ioan Nicholas
13. Corey Baldwin
12. Steffan Hughes
11. Ryan Conbeer
10. Angus O Brian
9. Kieran Hardy
8. Tom Phillips
7. Dan Davis
6. Ed Kennedy
5. Matthew Davies
4. Tom Price
3. Simon Gardiner
2. Dafydd Hughes
1. Dylan Evans
16. Taylor Davies
17. Rhys Fawcett
18. ?
19. Carwyn Tuipolotu
20. Lewis Ellis-Jones
21. Declan Smith
22. Ioan Hughes
23. Tom Rogers
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

With the season now over and preperation / pre season around the corner, so to will be the u23s set up.
I am looking forward to this as we have a handy squad that can provide an excting look to this side.

Plus hopefully players needing game time will also be playing...excited by the season and development of these lads...the next gen:
15. Tomi Lewis
14. Ioan Nicholas
13. Corey Baldwin
12. Steffan Hughes
11. Ryan Conbeer
10. Angus O Brian
9. Kieran Hardy
8. Tom Phillips
7. Dan Davis
6. Ed Kennedy
5. Matthew Davies
4. Tom Price
3. Simon Gardiner
2. Dafydd Hughes
1. Dylan Evans
16. Taylor Davies
17. Rhys Fawcett
18. ?
19. Carwyn Tuipolotu
20. Lewis Ellis-Jones
21. Declan Smith
22. Ioan Hughes
23. Tom Rogers

Javan Sebastian at 18?, Josh Helps 19 Carwyn was in the Wales U18 squad a few months ago, so he has plenty of time ahead of him or perhaps not if Tom Phillips continues to be dogged by injury.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 4:10pm
Some of those guys are surely over 23... so does anyone know the rule? How many 'older' players will be allowed in a 15/23?
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

15. Tomi Lewis
14. Ioan Nicholas
13. Corey Baldwin
12. Steffan Hughes
11. Ryan Conbeer
10. Angus O Brian
9. Kieran Hardy
8. Tom Phillips
7. Dan Davis
6. Ed Kennedy
5. Matthew Davies
4. Tom Price
3. Simon Gardiner
2. Dafydd Hughes
1. Dylan Evans
16. Taylor Davies
17. Rhys Fawcett
18. ?
19. Carwyn Tuipolotu
20. Lewis Ellis-Jones
21. Declan Smith
22. Ioan Hughes
23. Tom Rogers

Javan Sebastian at 18?, Josh Helps 19 Carwyn was in the Wales U18 squad a few months ago, so he has plenty of time ahead of him or perhaps not if Tom Phillips continues to be dogged by injury.

Surely Carwyn will start playing for u23...its the next step for me. He will be 19 next season I believe.
Sebastien good shout.

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Some of those guys are surely over 23... so does anyone know the rule? How many 'older' players will be allowed in a 15/23?

All backs are under apart from OBrien who is 23 and Steff Hughes who is 24.

Dylan and Gardiner only forwards over 23.

Im pretty sure i read there will be a limit to a match day squad of over 23s so that players returning from injury and needing match fitness can take part.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 4:21pm

15. Tomi Lewis
14. Ioan Nicholas
13. Corey Baldwin
12. Steffan Hughes
11. Ryan Conbeer
10. Angus O Brian
9. Kieran Hardy
8. Tom Phillips
7. Dan Davis
6. Ed Kennedy
5. Matthew Davies
4. Tom Price
3. Simon Gardiner
2. Dafydd Hughes
1. Dylan Evans
16. Taylor Davies
17. Rhys Fawcett
18. ?
19. Carwyn Tuipolotu
20. Lewis Ellis-Jones
21. Declan Smith
22. Ioan Hughes
23. Tom Rogers

Surely Carwyn will start playing for u23...its the next step for me. He will be 19 next season I believe.
Sebastien good shout.

Carwyn is 17
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

15. Tomi Lewis
14. Ioan Nicholas
13. Corey Baldwin
12. Steffan Hughes
11. Ryan Conbeer
10. Angus O Brian
9. Kieran Hardy
8. Tom Phillips
7. Dan Davis
6. Ed Kennedy
5. Matthew Davies
4. Tom Price
3. Simon Gardiner
2. Dafydd Hughes
1. Dylan Evans
16. Taylor Davies
17. Rhys Fawcett
18. ?
19. Carwyn Tuipolotu
20. Lewis Ellis-Jones
21. Declan Smith
22. Ioan Hughes
23. Tom Rogers

Sebastien good shout.

Carwyn is 17

Thumbs Up so will be 18 not 19 next season but in a squad of 35 for the u23s, I'd be amazed if he isnt involved along with others from Wales u18s. Afterall....its the new development way from next season. its what the u23 side is meant for.
some matches against players of roughly same standard for development. no games at all in december as it will be a "Development month". No games then until April I believe.
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 5:01pm
Nicholas played 13 for Wales U20s when they beat Oz the other day.

Long-term position?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

Long-term position?
Pretty sure he was at 12
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 5:16pm

Long-term position?
Pretty sure he was at 12
That was my recollection, too. 13 was another Scarlet with talent Corey Baldwin.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 9:42pm
I was told Richard Kelly is involved by the 18 year college labourer working for my gardener who is doing our new garden this week - but what do I know ! 🤔
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I was told Richard Kelly is involved by the 18 year college labourer working for my gardener who is doing our new garden this week - but what do I know ! 🤔
It’s who you know that counts in Llanelli.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 02 June 2018 at 10:11pm
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

It’s who you know that counts in Llanelli.
It only cost me a mug of coffee with two sugars Steve!
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Long-term position?
Pretty sure he was at 12
That was my recollection, too. 13 was another Scarlet with talent Corey Baldwin.

Yes Ioan at 12 Corey at 13 - both went well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic