Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ulster v cheetahs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ulster v cheetahs
    Posted: 01 September 2017 at 7:57pm
7-3 cheetahs so far and look very solid great try scored

Sponsored Links

John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 7:59pm
Now 14-8 to Cheetahs..... The last five minutes have been a bit like a 7s game.
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 7:59pm
Ulster hit back but cheetahs another try and conv . 8-14 to cheetahs
ewbank2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewbank2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 9:23pm
Not the results we would have hoped for with both Edinburgh and Ulster in our conference winning. I’ve got a feeling the Cheetahs will come as the season progresses
Ulster looked dangerous with a lot of big runners
Scarlets am Byth
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 10:17pm
Score flattered Ulster. Couple of dodgy yellow cards and Ulster capitalised. Cheetahs had the upper hand in the scrum and lineout.
Ulster dominated the breakdown and were defensively much better organized.  Good angles of running undid the Cheetahs defensive line eventually.  Cheetahs go wide virtually every time, reluctant to kick to touch, keep ball in hand.  They could be vulnerable around the fringes, very few bodies committed to the breakdown.

Don't kick to the Cheetahs back three!!
Bernado made a try saving tackle over the line!

42-19 FT

Edited by surfing-mtber - 01 September 2017 at 10:19pm
Joshua24:15
najbritcol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 11:08pm
Although these two SA teams are said to be poor, keep in mind that they only look so when compared to those of New Zealand and the better ones from SA itself.  When faced with teams from the Celtic countries and especially Italy, I am sure it'd be a different matter...
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 3:30am
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Score flattered Ulster. Couple of dodgy yellow cards and Ulster capitalised. Cheetahs had the upper hand in the scrum and lineout.
Ulster dominated the breakdown and were defensively much better organized.  Good angles of running undid the Cheetahs defensive line eventually.  Cheetahs go wide virtually every time, reluctant to kick to touch, keep ball in hand.  They could be vulnerable around the fringes, very few bodies committed to the breakdown.

Don't kick to the Cheetahs back three!!
Bernado made a try saving tackle over the line!

42-19 FT

Agree with some, disagree with some.

The first yellow against Cheetahs was deserved - an obvious high tackle (cheetahs will learn). The second wasn't a yellow - poor decision.

You're wrong about the scrum. ulster held them until late changes. No worries about the scrum in that game, but Cheetahs aren't a side with a good scrum, so Ulster need to cop on. I think they will under Gibbes.

Lineouts were not up to standard. Ulster need to do better.

Cheetahs defence isn't great, but neither is Ulsters, and that made for an exciting game. Both need to work on defence or they're going to struggle against the likes of Scarlets, Munster, Glasgow and Leinster. 

Cheetahs will be a serious contender in time. Very exciting team to watch, as were Ulster tonight. The Cheetahs backs are lightening fast - Beware!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 5:59am
I think it was a classic case of first proper game of the season in both matches I
Saw yesterday. I'm not expecting an easy ride tonight.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 7:19am
Cheetahs will get stronger ... Good time to play them right now..

Their back line moves were slick and pacey...tore Ulsters defensive line to shreds a few times...a lot of 7s players in there...but Ulster had too much fire power, despite a wobbly line out.
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 8:06am
Don't agree with that high tackle tbh, his arm was more collarbone area and slipped up slightly, but that's our league refs for you
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 8:18am
maybe not this year, but from the next Cheetahs will be a serious competitor for the title....differently from Kings, they have a strong base players and dominated the last Currie cup editions, also the many players left them for other SR teams or Europe
Airdaa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 11:45am
Cheetahs claim to have their strongest team on the pitch and Ulster had at least 7 potential first team starters missing from their squad.
The No10 for Ulster had a very promising start considering he arrived just over a week ago.
We also have a new coaching team whose influence even at this early stage of the season was obvious.
The match from a spectator point of view was excellent and taking 5 points is a good start for Ulster.
I am glad we played them at the start of the season as I suspect that with their pace in the backline the Cheetahs may prove to be a banana skin for some teams especially at home at altitude.
The Kings appear to be the weaker of the two SA sides so It will be interesting to see how the Scarlets fair today.
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Airdaa Airdaa wrote:

Cheetahs claim to have their strongest team on the pitch and Ulster had at least 7 potential first team starters missing from their squad.
The No10 for Ulster had a very promising start considering he arrived just over a week ago.
We also have a new coaching team whose influence even at this early stage of the season was obvious.
The match from a spectator point of view was excellent and taking 5 points is a good start for Ulster.
I am glad we played them at the start of the season as I suspect that with their pace in the backline the Cheetahs may prove to be a banana skin for some teams especially at home at altitude.
The Kings appear to be the weaker of the two SA sides so It will be interesting to see how the Scarlets fair today.

I think it was the strongest team Cheetahs could put out, but they have four players away with the national side, as well as those involved in the CC. They will have some key players return for the Munster game, so could be interesting.

Yes, I'm glad we got Cheetahs first up. They will improve, and if it wasn't for the two yellows then who knows? Cheetahs speed will shred other teams defence apart. Some incredibly talented backs.

Have to say, they are a very exciting team to watch, and I was delighted that Ulster played them at their own game. Think maybe that is down to Peel? Defence is still a big concern, but hoping Gibbes will have a say in that. Not a huge fan of Kiss, but see what happens I suppose.

Very pleased with personey, Christian, Deysel and Coetzee. Early days, but encouraged with the half-backs, and the backrow was outstanding. Diack is a very good line-out operator, but he's not a lock. Too lightweight and lacks the aggression. 

Edit: Personey is Co o n e y. Swear filter Shocked

Edited by Pilgrim - 02 September 2017 at 1:05pm
Westwalian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westwalian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 12:55pm
Considering what happened this summer, the Cheetahs looked very respectable yesterday, especially early on
Defender of Priestland
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

Don't agree with that high tackle tbh, his arm was more collarbone area and slipped up slightly, but that's our league refs for you

Think it was a bit more around the neck, but I've the memory of a goldfish, so you could be right.

I get your point, but it is what it is, and teams/players have to play to the rules. Cheetahs will learn quickly, I think. 

Ulster were worthy of the win, but the score isn't a fair reflection on Cheetahs, but more to do with the two yellows. That said, Cheetahs really didn't deal well with the first yellow, and the defensive shambles cost them the game. They were nervous though, which was to be expected, but they will settle, and will challenge. 
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Westwalian Westwalian wrote:

Considering what happened this summer, the Cheetahs looked very respectable yesterday, especially early on

Very true. Next season, once they have settled in, they will be a different animal, although I fully expect them to steadily improve this season. 

Kings have been hit hardest, which is a crying shame, but really interested to see how they deal with the first game. Really tough game for them against Scarlets, and fully expect a Scarlets win, but just hope we see glimpses of magic and potential. 

One things for sure, the SA sides will not be the next Italians.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic