Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Videos - Was the referee / TMO / Citing right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 11:22am
One of the Munster tries showed their 6 coming in like that just before they picked and scored guess they didn't notice that either.
Sponsored Links

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 11:49am
That’s a red everyday of the week. Shoulder to head. No questions.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 1:15pm
Just in the interest of balance, other competitions seem to have poor officials too. This wasn't picked up by the referee, either linesman or the TMO apparently - the referee appeared to actually give a penalty to the reds!

He's since been cited

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

100% imo. Didn't bind on, shoulder first point of contact.

Thanks. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding these head contact offences. What makes that offence a yellow and not a red?

The referee said "not enough force to be a red, and arm was not swinging". I'm not sure I agree with that.

I was pretty baffled by the ref's comment too - looked like a red all day long, and a deliberate attempt to intimidate (at best) or injure (at worst) Cardiff's very handy 10.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 5:29pm
I posted this elsewhere - and am quite surprised at the number of people saying it's a knock on. To me, the referee got it spot on. The ball went backwards.

joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 5:35pm
To the letter of the law, I think the ref was right. It could have been done with malicious intent but if the ball went backwards, not forwards, there's nothing the ref can do. 
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 5:50pm
In Law,

knock-on may occur anywhere in the playing area. It is a knock-on when a player, in tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent, makes contact with the ball and the ball goes forward. ... A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm. Sanction: Penalty.

Did the ball go forward-  NO
No case to answer !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 6:24pm
Clearly went backwards from Cawdor much due to the existing momentum when contact was made.

Shane had a lot of trouble understanding that, which was a surprise.

What did surprise me was the scrum restart. I thought Ken had jackalled well and earned a holding on penalty. Maybe it was just a little confusion after the unexpected outcome of the TMO review.

Edit - thought that Luke Pearce was very composed, self-reliant/confident and more accurate than usual. 

Edited by Eastern outpost - 23 September 2019 at 6:44pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Clearly went backwards from Cawdor much due to the existing momentum when contact was made.

What did surprise me was the scrum restart. I thought Ken had jackalled well and earned a holding on penalty. Maybe it was just a little confusion after the unexpected outcome of the TMO review.

Edit - thought that Luke Pearce was very composed, self-reliant/confident and more accurate than usual. 

Thought that they got one wrong second half when a Georgian player chased an up and under, went beyond the ball, and took out North. Didn't hear the TMO, ref or AR refer to it. Only saw it live, would like to see it again. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Thought that they got one wrong second half when a Georgian player chased an up and under, went beyond the ball, and took out North. Didn't hear the TMO, ref or AR refer to it. Only saw it live, would like to see it again. 

Then again, what do you expect with Ben O'Keefe

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 7:31pm

Then again, what do you expect with Ben O'Keefe

Right on both counts. O’Keefe perhaps has serious concentration deficiency issues.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 7:33pm
Another strange decision was arrived at with the Georgia YC. The maul was going over the line, I don't think there was any question of that. Ref however said that there were too many Georgians present. 

The point is that those Georgians could not have stopped it going over the line other than the way they did. Had it been open play then I would agree with the ref, but it wasn't. 

I think that is the first occasion where I've seen a YC offence, for taking down a maul a few metres from the line, when the ref has given a YC, but not awarded a penalty try. It's like a YC in footie for a trip in the box, but then not giving a penalty.

I give you Cawdor's YC and pen try against Racing last season !

Edited by ap sior - 23 September 2019 at 7:39pm
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 7:56pm

Another strange decision was arrived at with the Georgia YC. The maul was going over the line, I don't think there was any question of that. Ref however said that there were too many Georgians present. 

The point is that those Georgians could not have stopped it going over the line other than the way they did. Had it been open play then I would agree with the ref, but it wasn't. 

I think that is the first occasion where I've seen a YC offence, for taking down a maul a few metres from the line, when the ref has given a YC, but not awarded a penalty try. It's like a YC in footie for a trip in the box, but then not giving a penalty.

I give you Cawdor's YC and pen try against Racing last season !
Yes. Very true. Completely a penalty try for me, although so early on in his first World Cup game, I can understand him being slightly cautious. Interestingly none of his colleagues asked the question, “Would those players have stopped it?”

After the many tries, I’d temporarily forgotten the incident.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2019 at 12:57pm
What do we make of Ken's challenge that he received a yellow for? Letter of the law - that is dangerous and could be a citing. I really hope not for Ken as it is unlucky - but it's very clumsy.

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2019 at 1:04pm
At the last moment before contact the Fijian does jump in to the tackle. That may save Ken. Players are coached to hit up. Arms used, not malicious. Unlucky in my view. 
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2019 at 1:24pm
IMO on field decision was correct.
Yellow Card
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic