Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales side to face Scotland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales side to face Scotland
    Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:00pm

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Josh Adams, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans; Rhys Patchell, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee; Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones; Aaron Shingler, Josh Navidi, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Justin Tipuric, Aled Davies, Gareth Anscombe, Owen Watkin.

Sponsored Links

joni_bach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:01pm
Looking forward to Scarlets v Glasgow at the Principality on the weekend then! Big smile
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:03pm
Scarlets back-line + Adams
Scarlets front row, Shingler at 6.

Wyn Jones & Aled on bench, but no Cubby.

10/15 / 12/23 Scarlets.
Must do better.

Twitterer @ebenezer68
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:10pm
Barclay & the Scottish openside, whose name escapes me, could have a field day at the breakdown against that back row. However brave selections in the back 3 and at 10. Don't see what Cory Hill brings but it must be something. Well done to Wyn who has edged out Smith despite his improved recent scrummaging. Well done to all Scarlets involved. 
Feverpitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:12pm
WALES TEAM TO PLAY SCOTLAND (SATURDAY FEBRUARY 3 KO 14.15)

Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets) (74 Caps)
Josh Adams (Worcester) (*UNCAPPED)
Scott Williams (Scarlets) (51 Caps)
Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets) (1 Cap)
Steff Evans (Scarlets) (5 Caps)
Rhys Patchell (Scarlets) (5 Caps)
Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (27 Caps)
Rob Evans (Scarlets) (20 Caps)
Ken Owens (Scarlets) (52 Caps)
Samson Lee (Scarlets) (34 Caps)
Cory Hill (Dragons) (10 Caps)
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (113 Caps) CAPT
Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) (13 Caps)
Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues) (7 Caps)
Ross Moriarty (Gloucester) (17 Caps)

Replacements:

Elliot Dee (Dragons) (2 Caps)
Wyn Jones (Scarlets) (5 Caps)
Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (26 Caps)
Bradley Davies (Ospreys) (57 Caps)
Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (52 Caps)
Aled Davies (Scarlets) (5 Caps)
Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues) (11 Caps)
Owen Watkin (Ospreys) (2 Caps)
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 1:51pm
Yep Hamish Watson the Scottish openside - fantastic player.

What the Scarlets backs will miss here is the linking and support play of Tagdh and Cubby as well as the turnover work of those two and JB.

Thing is are the training (and planning to play) using Scarlets backs moves (unlikely) and trying to replicate our way of playing or will they be going for the Gats much tighter hybrid? Less point picking our bois for continuity and familiarity if they are then asked to play in a different way to what they do every week with us. Still worth picking them but we won't get the most out of them if that happens. It will be very interesting to see
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 3:11pm
Just been re-reading the posts in the summer of 2015, after Josh Adams was released and Tom Williams signed as short-term wing cover - interesting stuff.

It seems clear now that Josh was one of those players full of promise at the time, but lacking the attitude that Pivac was determined to create in the squad - perhaps more understandable, given Josh was 19 at the time, and thought he deserved consideration for the first team.

Forward wind 30 months, and Pivac succeeded in developing a league-winning squad, one now capable of, and hungry to, progress in European competition.

In the meantime, Josh flitted between semi-pro clubs in England before applying himself to becoming a first team winger at Worcester, is the top try-scorer in the English Premiership (no mean feat, especially in a bottom 2 club) and has now been called up for his first Wales cap to start in the 6 Nations opener. Quite a story!

Whether we could have kept our academy product and be seeing the benefits of his recent progression for ourselves is a moot point, but as well as being a Scarlets-trained player, he now has the chance to join a Scarlets back-line in a home Test match - can't wait to see how he goes.

Twitterer @ebenezer68
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 4:11pm
just a bizarre choice at 7 and lock
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 4:20pm
Yes pretty bizarre Roy. Watson & Barclay are excellent breakdown operators yet we leave our best breakdown player in the hotel!!!! Fair play he has given Josh his chance lets hope he takes it. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 4:26pm
Wales can bring Tipuric and Wyn Jones off the bench. Both are very good over the ball.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 4:34pm
don't understand cory hill being there above Bradley davies who has played very well recently and seb davies who is one of wales future stars if he carries on the way he has
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 4:54pm
I’d have gone for Navidi at 8 and a toss up btw Cubby and Tipuric at 7 with the other on the bench. Moriarty is lacking gametime. Could have him on the bench and Shingler move up to lock later on.

I really don’t understand the Cory Hill selection. Surely Seb Davies is a better choice if you’re looking to the future or Bradley Davies on current form?

Owen Williams omission seems like a political decision. How Anscome is considered ahead of him, I don’t know.
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 5:09pm
I'm with Gwyn Jones when it comes to Anscombe. I fully believe that they are trying to justify their decision to give him a NDC. He doesn't deserve to be in the squad even with Biggar & Priestland injured. I too feel sorry for Owen Williams. 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 5:15pm
Isn't Seb Davies injured or recovering from injury, and I think Cory Hill is a bit more mobile than the current Bradley Davies. It depends what type of game Gatland intends to play- his selections are a bit contradictory.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Isn't Seb Davies injured or recovering from injury, and I think Cory Hill is a bit more mobile than the current Bradley Davies. It depends what type of game Gatland intends to play- his selections are a bit contradictory.

They always are? I just dont follow a lot of his logic. He likes to throw in the odd curveball just for the sake of it? we have 2 stupendous opensides he doesnt pick so he picks our only match fit number 8 (navidi) at openside? Tipuric off the bench doesnt really work as he only covers 7, if moriarty or shingler get injured he has to move at least 2 players, very disruptive. It must be a macho man thing with gatland thats all I can think? I see his interviews and they seem too timid to ask him these questions? He sort of goes sideways in his answers. The fact he has his favourites, he seems to hold grudges, he over indulges in players looking for contact, he picks players who play to orders and the fact he only gave 3 new caps in 18 months , do not sit comfortably with me.

Edited by roy munster - 30 January 2018 at 5:29pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 9:25pm
I can’t understand the selection of the backrow or Hill in the second row. I too would have probably gone with AWJ and BD in the second row (Ospreys teammates and workhorses) and Navidi at 8 with Shingler and either Cubby and Tipuric on the flanks.
There were many on here and many pundits who felt that Cubby’s selection was just to deflect some pressure and that they were never going to select him regardless of hold well and consistently he was playing for us. Well I think that we can honestly say that our feelings were correct.
Cubby will not play for Wales whilst these muppets are still in charge. If your face doesn’t fit you will never get capped. It’s a travesty of justice for Cubby, because I don’t think he could do any more than he has already done. He’s been consistently at the top of all the stats leagues in the pro 12/14 for the past 2-3 seasons, yet they would prefer to play someone else out of position.
I just hope that they now release him back to the club where he can continue to play rugby with a smile on his face 😀 and be loved and cherished by our coaches and fans alike. Wales’s lose will certainly be our gain.
I only hope that Howley doesn’t stifle the backs, but I can’t help but feel worried about the game plan for Saturday.
PS congratulations to josh Adams on winning his first 🧢, Im glad cuthburt wasn’t available or Josh wouldn’t have been selected.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic