Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Team to face Argentina

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales Team to face Argentina
    Posted: 06 June 2018 at 4:04pm
1.W.Jones
2.E.Dee
3.D.Lewis
4.A.Beard
5.C.Hill (c)
6.S.Davies
8.R.Moriarty
7.J.Davies

9.G.Davies
10.R.Patchell
11.G.North
12.H.Parkes
13.S.Williams
14.J.Adams
15.H.Amos

Replacements
R.Elias, R.Evans, T.Francis, J.Turnbull, A.Wainwright, A.Davies, G.Anscombe, O.Watkin

Edited by Fscarlet - 06 June 2018 at 4:22pm
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 4:08pm
Must say, after the South Africa match, as proud & pleased as I am to see Cubby, Wyn & all the other Scarlet players involved, I will be watching from behind the sofa!!
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 4:20pm
Like the backline but that pack is going to be murdered if the Argies are anywhere near full strength.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Like the backline but that pack is going to be murdered if the Argies are anywhere near full strength.
No sense in Seb at 6 either
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 4:46pm
Well I can only say that Gatland has been true to his word - he's giving everyone a game. Would imagine that he will select his best available team for the next game. This pack will have to really step up on last Saturday.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 6:48pm
Is Ellis Jenkins injured?
Keep the faith
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Is Ellis Jenkins injured?
No
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 7:29pm
It's a bit of an experimental team, which I suppose is fair enough - presumably, this tour was planned with the idea of checking out the test credentials of some up and coming players.

The backs look as strong as possible from the tour party; against Argentina, I'd have preferred to start with the best scrummaging front row possible (Wyn or Rob - not much in it, Ryan and Francis), so let's hope there aren't too many scrums in the first 50 min. I'm delighted Cubby is getting a start - well deserved. Beard has yet to convince at this level - we'll see. I think Argentina must start as favourites, but let's hope the Welsh team show better basic skills than last week.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 8:10pm
In all honesty, beard has yet to impress at any level apart from the u20’s. He’s a big lump of a bloke, but doesn’t use it effectively. Hopefully I’m wrong on this tour. I would have preferred to see Jenkins at 6 and Seb Davies at 5.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

In all honesty, beard has yet to impress at any level apart from the u20’s. He’s a big lump of a bloke, but doesn’t use it effectively. Hopefully I’m wrong on this tour. I would have preferred to see Jenkins at 6 and Seb Davies at 5.
Completely agree. Thornton and Beard both hyped up as young Osprey prospects and neither look to be able to develop to anything more than decent squad players. Beard is too cumbersome and Thornton is too slight. Combine them and you'd have a good player.

Edited by SospanMawr - 06 June 2018 at 9:47pm
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 11:43pm
Or even Turnbull at 6?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 9:05am
In many ways the selection of the front 5 is a little mystifying. Argentina have belatedly reverted to their forward orientated power game and they are a handful in that area. I think the continued selection of Seb at 6 is because Gatland is going to take only 4 out and out 2nd rows to the World Cup. He wants/needs one of his 5 back row selections to be able cover 2nd row in an emergency. If this is true it is probably bad news for Aaron/Cubby and good news for Seb/Turnbull. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 9:15am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

In many ways the selection of the front 5 is a little mystifying. Argentina have belatedly reverted to their forward orientated power game and they are a handful in that area. I think the continued selection of Seb at 6 is because Gatland is going to take only 4 out and out 2nd rows to the World Cup. He wants/needs one of his 5 back row selections to be able cover 2nd row in an emergency. If this is true it is probably bad news for Aaron/Cubby and good news for Seb/Turnbull. 

I think that Aaron has proved his worth to the Welsh squad this season & I would go as far as to say he is one of the first names on the team sheet for both Wales & us.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I think that Aaron has proved his worth to the Welsh squad this season & I would go as far as to say he is one of the first names on the team sheet for both Wales & us.

I am a huge Aaron fan but the selectors I don't think share my or indeed your feelings. Even if he was to select 5 out and out back rowers I think Aaron will be hard pushed - Warburton, Faletau, Moriarty & Tipuric are probably certainties if fit. That leaves Navidi, Aaron, Jenkins, Cubby, Ollie Griffiths & Thomas Young to battle it out. If he does indeed want a 6 to cover 2nd row then Seb Davies and Turnbull get added to that list. 
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 9:35am
In other Test news, Sam Hydalgo-Clyne starts at 9 for Scotland against Canada Clap, but there's no place for Tadgh Beirne in the 23 for Ireland's 1st Test v the Wallabies.Shocked

James Ryan and Iain Henderson start at lock, with Connacht's Quinn Roux on the bench - maybe Schmidt recognises that Tadgh doesn't need a game this weekend until he's more rested and assimilated into the Irish set-up, or perhaps they don't want to cap him until he's officially a Munster player.Confused They like to show off the provenance of their players in their team listing:

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 83 caps
14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 67 caps
13. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 33 caps
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 7 caps
11. Jacob Stockdale (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 9 caps
10. Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster) 10 caps
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 64 caps

1. Jack McGrath (St Mary's College/Leinster) 47 caps
2. Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 3 caps
3. John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 13 caps
4. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 8 caps 
5. Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 38 caps
6. Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 47 caps capt
7. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 20 caps
8. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 23 caps

Replacements
16. Sean Cronin (St Mary's College/Leinster) 61 caps
17. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 78 caps
18. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 23 caps
19. Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 5 caps
20. Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 7 caps
21. Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 21 caps
22. Johnny Sexton (St Mary's College/Leinster) 73 caps
23. Jordan Larmour (St Mary's College/Leinster) 3 caps

tbc. Tadgh Beirne (Leinster Reject/Scarlets Champion) 0 caps

Edited by NobbySosban - 07 June 2018 at 9:45am
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 9:38am
Aaron is far and away the best 6 and possibly the only 6 of all those names mentioned in my opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic