Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team vs. S.Africa 02/06/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 11:44am
Maybe so - but it's a bit of a pendulum situation, isn't it? Some of us are old enough to remember when the SA government (or was it the cricket authorities) would not allow Basil D'Oliveira - a 'Cape Coloured' who didn't get a fair crack of the whip in SA itself - to tour as a member of the England team. So, SA is trying to right the wrongs of the apartheid era.

You may not agree with how they do it, but I hope you can understand why they're doing it, and where they're coming from.

(I suppose, also, that SA look on this 'test' as very much a trial match for some up and coming players, to see if they can graduate into the squad for the SH tournament and the world cup. I fancy Mpimpi to make the grade - he looked really useful for the Cheetahs early season, before moving on.)
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Maybe so - but it's a bit of a pendulum situation, isn't it? Some of us are old enough to remember when the SA government (or was it the cricket authorities) would not allow Basil D'Oliveira - a 'Cape Coloured' who didn't get a fair crack of the whip in SA itself - to tour as a member of the England team. So, SA is trying to right the wrongs of the apartheid era.

You may not agree with how they do it, but I hope you can understand why they're doing it, and where they're coming from.

(I suppose, also, that SA look on this 'test' as very much a trial match for some up and coming players, to see if they can graduate into the squad for the SH tournament and the world cup. I fancy Mpimpi to make the grade - he looked really useful for the Cheetahs early season, before moving on.)

Yes Aber I am of that same generation & unfortunately have witnessed apartheid first hand in Southern Africa. The introduction of Black & Coloured players into the playing rota of the Springboks is a headline event in rugby mad South Africa. Erasmus is a clever and good coach but he will be walking a tightrope over the coming months with his selections. Mpimpi is definitely one to watch with huge pace. 
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 1:53pm
Muddled selection, compromised by availability of Scarlets finalists, but Gats has long talked about wanting to give North a run at 13, so is taking the opportunity. Seems he thinks he's found his replacement for Jamie Roberts.Confused

North at centre, no cover at 10, sticking the Scarlets players on a plane at 5am after a Final, a promising lock being played at 6, recalling Rhodri Jones to cover tight-head after it was confirmed that he's going back to loose-head at Ospreys - all the signs are that this fixture & tour aren't really being taken seriously, and Gats' comments on 'bitter & twisted' critics and understanding if Shaun Edwards wants to go to work with Eddie Jones before RWC19 just smacks of a guy seeing out his time to get his loyalty bonus.

Makes me worry about Wales' preparations for Japan, and our players spending time in that environment. Just hope they all come back safe from the Americas.

Edited by NobbySosban - 01 June 2018 at 1:54pm
Twitterer @ebenezer68
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 10:13pm
There is no 50/50 as far as I'm aware anyway. Yes there is an understandable wish to develop young players across the board and, in so doing, naturally (+ with some positive action if required) bring about a situation where the Boks squad picked on merit is 50/50 black/white. But there's no rule
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 11:23pm
Ox Nché is no mug either
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 6:25am
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

There is no 50/50 as far as I'm aware anyway. Yes there is an understandable wish to develop young players across the board and, in so doing, naturally (+ with some positive action if required) bring about a situation where the Boks squad picked on merit is 50/50 black/white. But there's no rule

Yes, I think that's right. This is the Springboks' coach's take on it:

“Before I was appointed‚ I have always understood all the transformation issues and that they are part of the way we are heading, and I have bought into that,” Erasmus said. “We are trying to fix all the wrong things that were done in the past. "

The race issue is bound to be a sensitive one in SA for the foreseeable future... ATM, they are trying to avoid a recent incident involving former player Ashwin Willemsee from derailing their focus.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by John John wrote:

South Africa name seven new caps in the starting XV and another six uncapped players on the bench.... No doubt partly because of the leakage of players to Europe but also due their determination to have 50-50 racial representation at the next WC.

We have two players starting who also played in the win over France.

Gwyn Jones calls it " a shambles"Thumbs Down

And Gats is calling anyone who calls it a waste of time "bitter and twisted"..... Angry

The Os, who thought they had signed a centre and a wing, find they have signed two centres.Confused

Scott, who moved from a club with two other international centres, finds himself still in a club with two other international centres- the current incumbents in fact. Ouch

And if you are a player for a successful silver-ware challenging region (us), you will win fewer caps than if you represent a middle table outfit (that's challengeable, I know, but it sounds good!)

All boiling up to a great occasionOuch

I’m astonished why anyone thinks any Scarlet player would get picked this week.

The only reason a few are on the bench is because we have 13 out of the 31 on tour.

Of course, you're right - the timing is very poor by the WRU, given that the Scarlets played in the pro-14 final. Unfortunately, that's where we're at, so some of the boys will simply have to turn out.

It was a tongue-in-cheek post with all the different emojies....

I'm quite looking forward to the game actually and hoping we can establish enough parity up front to see the various new combinations get going. For instance, can George actually pass well enough to be a centre?

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:03pm
What a shambles on the anthems. were they miming ? Where was the sound system ? 😡
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Craca Hyll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craca Hyll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:09pm
If I was providing the most constructive of criticisms:

1) The state of your sound system.
2) The state of your camera work.
3) The state of your early 90s match graphics.
4) The state of your ticket sales.
5) The state of your male Welsh Voice choir.
6) The state of your pundits.

Apart from that, good job.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:09pm
Eddie Butler lazy preparation.

“Steff Evans, the only Scarlet”. He mentioned Tom Prydie twice, without realising his mistake and Martyn Williams didn’t correct him, off or on air.

PULL YOUR SOCKS UP
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:12pm
So Tom Prydie isn't a Scarlet then?
Joshua24:15
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:23pm
So - nearly 20 minutes gone - terrible game, terrible teams, terrible ref, terrible commentary, terrible camera work - what's not to like?
What's going on?
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:24pm
I've turned off and will FF through it in the morning. Dreadful advert for the game so far (20 mmins mark) and Carney is not the ref you want for a 'showcase' match. He always struggles with the scrums.
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

So - nearly 20 minutes gone - terrible game, terrible teams, terrible ref, terrible commentary, terrible camera work - what's not to like?

You can substitute 'poo' for terrible if you like.
What's going on?
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:35pm
Gutted, Steff’s gone down. Looks bad.
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
Craca Hyll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craca Hyll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:36pm
Crap game. Crap television. Now Steff's injured.

This is an abortion of a match.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic