Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team vs. Scotland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

There are a small handful of young and very promising players in Wales. In essence though this is pretty much the best squad we can put out bar those. There's no alternate Welsh side sitting in the wings, deserving a go.

I don't envisage radical change next week, the next 2 games are not the place for that, I do however think that the current regime will change for the AI's.

Arguably you could change maybe half dozen of the matchday squad but I agree with what you said. I really do think it's down to staleness in the coaches. Let's hope you're right and we'll see new coaches soon ... preferably by the summer tour.

In all seriousness I hope they do the honourable thing at the end of the 6N and go. I'd be happy for Danny Wilson and Stevo to go as caretaker coaches for the summer tour if the WRU need time to find new personnel ... as long as we get Stevo back that is!!! We should be fair and remember that under Gatland et al we've had two Grand Slams, a championship and RWC semi finalists. However we seem to have gone stale over the last four years and it's time for change.
Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 12:12pm
We will never know if the youngsters are never given a go if they good enough they could hardly do worse than the current squad. Elias Boyde Young and Cubby up front Owen Williams Sam Davies Beck Stef Evs Giles Hewitt Amos just to name a few that surely deserve go we will never find out if they sitting in stands.
Biggar not up to it Roberts nowhere near class of Beck Tuperic brilliant in loose but too weak and ineffective in rucks and mauls. North suffering with confidence Liam playing out of position. Even AWJ looking shadow of former self.
I for one cannot see the justification in picking the same players making same mistakes every game unless we have change of coach to try and inspire the team.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 12:22pm
This Wales regime, and I include Gatland in that, dont seem to learn anything. There's one way, and that's it. Apparently we're trying to develop a new style, but are we? Just looks like the old smash it up and smash em down to me.

By putting Sanjay on the wing Wales have surreneded a huge amount of metres gained and defenders beaten by Liam's carrying every game. He beats people and makes metres, Halfpenny makes milimetres and is no threat entering the line. Yet 2 years after this debate nothing has changed and the honest but ineffective Halfpenny remains. Cuthbert has been given caps he should never have had, his last game should have been SA in Twickenham. We could have stuck anyone in there and they would have been better than him. Anyone who could basically catch a pass and mark and tackle his winger, that would have done and actually been an improvment on Cuthbert.

Roberts, is another. He couldnt impress when playing for Cambridge and has gone backwards at a rate of knots but still gets gifted caps. When there are people like Scott who's had to wait in the wings and Beck who are miles better.

On the AWJ/Biggar spat. That does nothing for AWJ's chances of being Lions captain.

With 20 minutes left yesterday it was game over. Why? because it would have taken us 20 minutes with 90% possession to score one try, let alone 2. Once Scotland became more competitve at contact we were toast because they have developed their game. 3 years ago they couldnt score in a brothel but now have invention, pace and penetration behind, mostly chanelled through their back 3 which are pacey and skillful.

I wish we had lost to England in the world cup, that might have forced a change, a change that the national squad were in desperate need of imo. Sadly, I can see the Lions tour being a disaster as well when the Irish and English players realise what numpties Gatland and Howley are compared to their own national coaches #playerrevolt

We're in a hole I'm afraid, and there's no getting out of it for a while. Cry
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 12:37pm
Rugby has changed a lot over the past 2 years, and we have not changed. There in my opinion is the problem. As I said in my previous post we have wasted the past 12+ months, where we could have changed our approach, and slowly integrated different players.

I honestly feel unless there is a minor miracle we will have to wait 10 years for the next good Welsh side, we need to improve on:-
A-Skills
B-Game management
C-Speed
D-Attitude to the game--what I mean is that it is a handling game, boosted by kicking, not the other way around.
E-Coaching set up

All the other nations except for Italy are better than us on the above.

In the professional era I don't care who coaches Wales, but we do need a really top class one next time round.

I all honesty I think Dai Young will be in with a shout, but will not get it, there are better ones around, and for the money we are paying we should get a good one.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
lab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 1:00pm
wales really need to start picking players on form and not reputation e.g Cubby in Sam W out......
lan ar bar,S10
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 1:22pm
I have a burning resentment for the way Lewis gave the coaches an extension to 2019. Scandalous stuff. The big hope is that Gatland on his second time off with the Lions goes job hunting and seeks an early release from his contract. We may even make some money from it but if nothing is on the table I would just leave him go. We can then address Howley! 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by lab lab wrote:

wales really need to start picking players on form and not reputation e.g Cubby in Sam W out......
Common now be fair Sam Warburton has been outstanding for Wales this championship. Him and Webb were the only two players who played very well yesterday. Drop players out of form yes but Sam is bang in form
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
lab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Common now be fair Sam Warburton has been outstanding for Wales this championship. Him and Webb were the only two players who played very well yesterday. Drop players out of form yes but Sam is bang in form
ok he has been decent during this six nations but before the tournament he has been average at best therefore I dont see why he has been picked before cubby and thomas young.I was only using him as an example. another example is Ken Owens has been poor this season.  
lan ar bar,S10
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 2:08pm

The mystery is why Tipuric is being selected over Sam at 7 when we are still trying to dominate the physicality stakes. I think they're at sixes and sevens (pun intended ) when it comes to tactics and selection. The evidence of my eyes suggests a very limited gameplan. Wrestle up front, a bit of bish bash bosh and hope the backs can finish it off. I could be completely wrong and the players are just failing to execute but honestly, I can't see any poorly executed alternative even. They just look uncertain and most tend to look for contact or kick - if they don't mishandle first! Couple that with players out of position, a team lacking confidence and a captain whose decisions are being undermined and it's no wonder we are where we are.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I have a burning resentment for the way Lewis gave the coaches an extension to 2019. Scandalous stuff. The big hope is that Gatland on his second time off with the Lions goes job hunting and seeks an early release from his contract. We may even make some money from it but if nothing is on the table I would just leave him go. We can then address Howley! 

It seems that many have the view that we're stuck with Gatland and co until 2019.

We're not. The WRU need some balls and come out an sack them.

This is the second time that Gatland has coached the Lions. He's only 'applying' to be  the next AB's coach. Gareth Davies should have had the guts to tell Gatland that if he wanted to coach the Lions then he would have to leave the Wales set up to do so.

Perhaps then we would have moved forward.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 2:32pm
I'd like to see this for the next game:

Sanjay
Halfpenny
Foxy
Scott
Steff
Sam D
Webb

Faletau
Sam W
Moriarty
Charteris
Alun Wyn
Samson
Ken
Rob

Francis
Sam P
Smith
Jake
Tom Young

Aled
Owain W
Giles

If we make wholesale changes we'll come undone against Ireland but we also need to give some in form players a crack. I also want to see players playing in their positions so we get the best out of them.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

I'd like to see this for the next game:

Sanjay
Halfpenny
Foxy
Scott
Steff
Sam D
Webb

Faletau
Sam W
Moriarty
Charteris
Alun Wyn
Samson
Ken
Rob

Francis
Sam P
Smith
Jake
Tom Young

Aled
Owain W
Giles

If we make wholesale changes we'll come undone against Ireland but we also need to give some in form players a crack. I also want to see players playing in their positions so we get the best out of them.

good side id go with that, possibly keep francis over samson , otherwise looks a decent balance of form, transition and opportunity
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 2:58pm

ok he has been decent during this six nations but before the tournament he has been average at best therefore I dont see why he has been picked before cubby and thomas young.I was only using him as an example. another example is Ken Owens has been poor this season.  
Completely disagree sorry he's played well for the Blues of late. Lions test 7 as far as I am concerned, his states are also really impressive. Loads of players with big reputations have been poor but I think Warburton has gone well.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 6:46pm
Sam is playing well. Not sure if the back row is quite right...couldn't make my mind up on Tips...he was sort of everywhere without actually making a telling contribution anywhere...if that makes sense.

Biggar is the man under real pressure in my view. I was very, very agitated watching his uber conservative touch finders yesterday...4 or 5 times he did it...gained maybe 15-20 mts only...twice kicking from inside Scotlands half and not getting the ball to cross the 22.

Having said all of that I genuinely don't have a clue what side we will select next week...it could be the same or it could be all change.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 7:13pm
Not many options without risking a hammering. Maybe Sam Davies and Steph or Gilles. Don't fancy Sam defending against the Irish back row who will target him big time. Possibly give Roberts the first half running at Sexton and see what happens. No time to transform the mindset of the squad at this stage of the tournament. Tipuric to the bench and start as big a pack as we can muster.
Keep the faith
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 8:11pm
rather get hammering having go than watching turgid clueless rugby we having to endure from our national team at moment.
Howley is ruining chances of players who deserve lions tour.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic