Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales U20s side to face Scotland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2018 at 9:32am
Big test for this squad will come next game against England but we couldn't have asked for better last night. Scored 5 tries and created probably another 3-4 very good opportunities. Jason Strange is a very thoughtful coach and always seems to sum things up clearly and simply. The Blues & Ospreys who are apparently searching Worldwide for their next coach could do a lot worse than give him a chance. If developing from their own academies is now meant to be the way forward then who better to bring them through? 
Sponsored Links

surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2018 at 10:39am
3 Scarlet tries I think. Thumbs Up
Dan Davies is going to be some player.
Great performance, disciplined defence and ruthless in attack (which was pleasingly varied).
Joshua24:15
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2018 at 12:09pm
I know I sometimes complain that the Scarlets' sometimes need to kick more for position or to turn solid defensive lines when we aren't crossing the gain line, but Ben Jones overdid it last night. I think he may have been watching too much of Biggar down at the Library or even have a collection of Neil Jenkins videos. The game seemed to open up when Cai Evans took over at 10.  Thought all the Scarlets played well along with Cai and the Blues loosehead who had an excellent  game in the loose for a 20st prop .
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I know I sometimes complain that the Scarlets' sometimes need to kick more for position or to turn solid defensive lines when we aren't crossing the gain line, but Ben Jones overdid it last night. I think he may have been watching too much of Biggar down at the Library or even have a collection of Neil Jenkins videos. The game seemed to open up when Cai Evans took over at 10.  Thought all the Scarlets played well along with Cai and the Blues loosehead who had an excellent  game in the loose for a 20st prop .

Yes Cai at 10 impressed me. He seems to have some of his old man's wheels. My pick Dan did ok - thought he was everywhere for 80 minutes. He is very solid in the tackle, has loads of pace and gets into the outside channels to support. He will learn a huge amount when he trains along with Cubby & Boyde. We could have a very impressive 7 on our hands. Thought Morgan Jones, a big lad, looked a decent player when he came on 2nd half - at last a Scarlet 2nd rower made at home!!!!!
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2018 at 12:25pm
Watching the game, Baldwin reminded me more and more of Foxy- big frame, pacey, hard runner who hits good lines.
Dan Davies also reminded me of Cubby popping up everywhere but with a bigger frame and maybe more athletic.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2018 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes Cai at 10 impressed me. He seems to have some of his old man's wheels. My pick Dan did ok - thought he was everywhere for 80 minutes. He is very solid in the tackle, has loads of pace and gets into the outside channels to support. He will learn a huge amount when he trains along with Cubby & Boyde. We could have a very impressive 7 on our hands. Thought Morgan Jones, a big lad, looked a decent player when he came on 2nd half - at last a Scarlet 2nd rower made at home!!!!!

Morgan Jones is a product of Leicester and Welsh Exiles great to see the Scarlets boys impressing for the 20s !!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Watching the game, Baldwin reminded me more and more of Foxy- big frame, pacey, hard runner who hits good lines.
Dan Davies also reminded me of Cubby popping up everywhere but with a bigger frame and maybe more athletic.

I thought Dan Davies had an excellent game - first time I've seen him - but is he really bigger than Cubby? I find it hard to judge with the U-20s as I have no idea how big any of them are, so no points of reference. How big are Baldwin and Conbeer for that matter? Baldwin certainly looks like a sizeable unit.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

I thought Dan Davies had an excellent game - first time I've seen him - but is he really bigger than Cubby? I find it hard to judge with the U-20s as I have no idea how big any of them are, so no points of reference. How big are Baldwin and Conbeer for that matter? Baldwin certainly looks like a sizeable unit.

Can't find stats for Dan Davis but Cody Baldwin is 6' and 14st 9lbs and Ryan Conbeer is 5'10" and 14st 4lbs so are quite big lads! Wink
"YMA O HYD"
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 7:40pm
Conbeer looks bigger to me, but if Baldwin is taller that would explain why.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 9:06am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Morgan Jones is a product of Leicester and Welsh Exiles great to see the Scarlets boys impressing for the 20s !!

Thanks for that 157cb - I'll stop celebrating!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic