Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v England RWC Warm Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2019 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Fair enough if you saw that, stats say he carried 9 times for 4 metres and made 6 tackles.
 It wasn’t his best go forward tbh and didn’t show much penetration. Made no mistakes though. Rusty ? Shings must go surely. Great athlete 
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2019 at 9:19pm

No argument about Beard, but I thought Ball carried ineffectively and didn’t show up much overall.
What game were you watching? Ball was outstanding carried very well and was excellent defensively. He's a better player than Hill and Beard.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2019 at 9:58pm
I’ve called it as I saw it, statistics and ratings seem to corroborate that view. He was ok.

157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2019 at 10:02pm

What's news on Cubby boys ? I thought Jake was outstanding today a willing ball carrier and took it to England,Ken was excellent ! It was also brilliant to see Aaron back and impressing .
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2019 at 10:20pm

I’ve called it as I saw it, statistics and ratings seem to corroborate that view. He was ok.

Spot on. Jake was solid and functional but not much go forward frankly and yes defended well. 
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2019 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

No argument about Beard, but I thought Ball carried ineffectively and didn’t show up much overall.
What game were you watching? Ball was outstanding carried very well and was excellent defensively. He's a better player than Hill and Beard.

Finally some sense on here.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 7:52am
Jake did OK but nothing too special in my view - he needs games. Really pleased for Aaron who had a very solid 30 minutes switching to 2nd row and stood out in a much improved lineout showing - well done in this respect to Ken. Scrum was again 2nd best & conceded penalties. It is a little worrying that Rob & Samson are still not deemed fit enough to start.

Gutted for Cubby who took a head knock. According to Gats some bumps but nothing serious so hopefully Cubby will be ready to go against Ireland where selection will be from the wider squad I would imagine. A big mention for Halfpenny who had undertaken heavy training schedules on Friday & Saturday morning & still played the full 80 - a serious professional!!!!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 8:28am
I think line out is the key to needing Aaron in the 23. Ball, AWJ, ( and Bradley for that matter) are not renowned for being heavily used lineout operators. The go to jumper was mostly Wainwright yesterday, certainly for middle / end line throws.

I think Hill will accompany AWJ in the starting Wales 15 as at today, Aaron on the bench gives the coaches the benefit of choosing 2 loose forwards on that bench should they wish to ( Aaron covering 2nd row).

Tough on Cubby yesterday, lots of heavy traffic about, and with only 20 mins on the park he didn’t get the chance to show up. Navidi did pretty well when he came on.

Ken got through a lot of work yesterday, played the full 80 and was going well until the end.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

This is a chat forum, opinions are encouraged. It doesn’t need to resort to ridicule to make a point. Also facts do help to back up things.

Ball carried for a net gain of 1 meter, now I don’t qualify that as a lack of determination or aggression in the carry, but it’s not really effective. The other second rows on show were much better in that facet.

I think he is 3rd choice and so should be on the plane before Beard and Bradley. Another hit out in a couple of week’s should also help (unless the dead leg restricts it).
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 8:44am

he isn’t better than hill is he better than beard? He is more physical And ino a bettercscrummager but beard better in line out,  ken awk shings and naividi superb up front yday biggar hadleigh and foxy pick of the backs, cawdor needs to stop gettjng charged down
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 9:01am

This is a chat forum, opinions are encouraged. It doesn’t need to resort to ridicule to make a point. Also facts do help to back up things.

Ball carried for a net gain of 1 meter, now I don’t qualify that as a lack of determination or aggression in the carry, but it’s not really effective. The other second rows on show were much better in that facet.

I think he is 3rd choice and so should be on the plane before Beard and Bradley. Another hit out in a couple of week’s should also help (unless the dead leg restricts it).

No ridicule on my behalf. Like you said this is a chat forum and that was my view. Ball didnt make big ground, he didnt break the gain line but he wasnt pushed back, he took 2 saes out each time and he never lost the ball in contact. Against a pack the size of the saes, i would saybthats a good days work. He lay the foundation each time.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 10:44am
what saddened me most was we went back to kicking the ball away at almost every opportunity,as a game it was dire as a result it is always nive to beat England,we won't win a world cup with that game plan.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 10:46am
I think Ball is 4th on the 2nd row list at the moment behind AWJ, Hill & Beard.  His chances of travelling to Japan have been helped by the injury to Falatau as the selections in the back row are now easier. I expect Gats to take 18 forwards - 9 front rows, 4 2nd rows and 5 back rowers - Navidi, Moriarty, Wainwright, Tips & Shingler. If Wales take 4 2nd rows Ball should be ok. The spin off with 18 forwards is that he will probably only take 5 half backs which is dangerous.

Shingler, as he proved yesterday, is capable of slotting in to 2nd row in the final 20 minutes & his aerial ability could prove vital when you consider how important lineouts have become. 
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 11:30am
I’d have shings ahead of beard feel the guy is well overrated. Wainwright, tips, navidi starters for me. Moriarty is a risk and I wouldn’t want him there when it gets knock out rugby would be 2011 again. Awj and ken really do lead by example class acts, Biggar deserved that motm FairPlay and a good mention to halfers after missing that first take he recovered and did everything asked of him amazing when I read after the game he could hardly walk not long before it! Our defence of the rolling maul was second to none truely amazing stuff

Edited by Sosban bach - 18 August 2019 at 11:31am
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 12:51pm

Yes. It’s awful when people are ridiculed. Especially if some do it to others seemingly on purpose. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

what saddened me most was we went back to kicking the ball away at almost every opportunity,as a game it was dire as a result it is always nive to beat England,we won't win a world cup with that game plan.

It’s arguable which suits Wales best in my view.
The coaches place such high value on a low error count that kicking is almost encouraged as a by product of that,
Biggar creates tries from superb cross kicks and having a great positional siege gun boot. He’s also a high % success rate place kicker. All attributes.
Anscombe was developing a fine running game, not bothered by taking the ball to the line,or offloading in close play. Again fine skills.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic