Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SIX NATIONS 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 2:35pm
we looked quite dangerous when we threw in a few passes and got wider....We also won the aerial battle....The 2 tries were well constructed....The patience to recycle 34 times and the great angle of hill off a deft biggar pass....Then the killer blow with the pin point cross kick and take....biggar was supremely accurate and barely a player made a mistake in the last half hour. 
I still think theres lots to improve though, we need to start games better..The lineout was marginally better...we need more depth at 8 and I think patchell offers more at 10... scott williams would add more pace at 12 too. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 3:17pm
Cawdor nailed his kicks as well great display from him which we desperately needed from him. Happy days boys bach
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 6:28pm
bit worried about the number of mistakes anscome is making in games.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 7:04pm
Yesterday for me was one of the best Wales team wins I've seen - yes a few players can be singled out for eye catching skills or a naturally more influential role due to their position but it was top performances all the way through the team. Goes to show what nonesense I wrote about England Wales games decided by individual moments of brilliance. A sign of very good coaching as well.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 9:51pm
Well, I have just about recovered from that game yesterday - the fans made a terrific racket, and that helped, I think! 

Basically, it was a superb team performance based on wonderful fitness and a great defensive effort when needed... I'm still a bit baffled as to how that ball shot out of the ruck for their try, and why was Tips facing the wrong way? Excellent, apart from that.

The tactics were a bit different, and that was crucial - Wales used the pick-and-go at the side of rucks far more, because England don't commit many players to the rucks - they spread out across the field. To create gaps, you have to draw them in, as we saw with the 34 phase try - just before that was scored, there was a huge gap in their defence which they failed to close before Hill got there. (Fair play to Mark Ring in the WM - he predicted that this tactic would be key.)

England didn't vary their tactics at all, so we knew what to expect... but Wales had Liam in top form, ably assisted by Adams and North - I think we won practically every aerial battle during the game. The bulldozers were tamed by excellent tackles - gang tackles when needed.

As for Wales, their fitness was superior and the longer the game went on, the more dominant they became... England could hardly get out of their 22 in the last 15 minutes. The momentum had swung a bit before that, though, with Farrell kicking direct to touch - we were still behind, then, but it looked a sure thing that we'd get the  win by that point.

As I said, it was a team performance - everyone made a real contribution to the win - so these are just the more obvious points:
Liam's fielding of high kicks and counter-attacking runs
Adams's juggle for his try, followed by claiming England's KO
Biggar's pass for Hill's try, his kick for Adams's, and his clearing kick from a charge down on Cawdor (who had maybe his best game for Wales - his box kicks were better than Youngs, and his defensive work in closing down Farrell was so important)
Hill, for getting there and then choosing a really clever line to drive over for the try... too many just run straight, but he curved the run a bit to get between the defenders, and didn't let them knock the ball out either.
AWJ - just for being AWJ and getting under the skin of the opposition.

Onward and upward!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 12:08pm
AWJ getting unnecessarily involved in the argy bargy while pretending to be acting as the peacemaker made my day.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 12:12pm
Huge team effort - back 3 didn't get much wide ball, but were outstanding in defence & fielding Youngs & Farrell's oft-wayward bombs. North may not have been allowed his best game, but when he pops up for a pick & go around the ruck, you know he's engaged. Sanjay was imperious in the air, and Josh Adams played a blinder even before his high-altitude juggling act.

Wales didn't allow England's big runners into the game - Vunipola never got a head of steam up, and Tuilagi only escaped once - while Farrell seemed fixated on the game plan that had worked against Ireland & France.

There was no panic from Wales - they just edged their way back and got better as the game wore on. Strength in depth and self-belief are growing. The touchline argy-bargy happened when England were still 7 points up, but their belief and composure were already cracking - AWJ, Sanj & co. handled the incident brilliantly, and it ended up being the turning point as the crowd raised the tempo. The England 'Finishers' never got a look in.

If the backs have practiced aerial combat for the past 2 weeks, the forwards need to be rehearsing line-outs for the next fortnight. Scotland, even without key players, will be desperate not to lose at Murrayfield, while Ireland are still the best team in the Northern Hemisphere in my book, and they don't fear playing in Cardiff.

It feels, however, like the biggest hurdle has been cleared, and there's no reason why Wales can't leap this high again and continue this winning form. It was a good day to be a Wales fan in my little English pub. Approve
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Huge team effort - back 3 didn't get much wide ball, but were outstanding in defence & fielding Youngs & Farrell's oft-wayward bombs. North may not have been allowed his best game, but when he pops up for a pick & go around the ruck, you know he's engaged. Sanjay was imperious in the air, and Josh Adams played a blinder even before his high-altitude juggling act.

Wales didn't allow England's big runners into the game - Vunipola never got a head of steam up, and Tuilagi only escaped once - while Farrell seemed fixated on the game plan that had worked against Ireland & France.

There was no panic from Wales - they just edged their way back and got better as the game wore on. Strength in depth and self-belief are growing. The touchline argy-bargy happened when England were still 7 points up, but their belief and composure were already cracking - AWJ, Sanj & co. handled the incident brilliantly, and it ended up being the turning point as the crowd raised the tempo. The England 'Finishers' never got a look in.

If the backs have practiced aerial combat for the past 2 weeks, the forwards need to be rehearsing line-outs for the next fortnight. Scotland, even without key players, will be desperate not to lose at Murrayfield, while Ireland are still the best team in the Northern Hemisphere in my book, and they don't fear playing in Cardiff.

It feels, however, like the biggest hurdle has been cleared, and there's no reason why Wales can't leap this high again and continue this winning form. It was a good day to be a Wales fan in my little English pub. Approve

Aye, lineout was a problem and England should really have turned pressure into points and not let us get back into the game during that 45-55 minute period where their indiscipline cost them badly. 17-3 at 55 minutes versus 10-9 would have been a completely different game.

The only other concern is that there was barely any threat of a line break in that game. In fact, I think there was only 1 (by Tuiligi) from either side. The rest was bosh up the middle before cross-kick or grubber really. Very League.

Takes nothing away from the team's performance or the result and the tactics certainly did the job on the day.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 3:35pm
Biggar changed    that game. He's mentally tough and winner. He's a real prescence. I thought Andscome was poor.    Hopefully Wales can sort there lineout out in the next fortnight. Liam was an inspiration Saturday playing in his best position of full back. Adams continues to shine on the big occasion,and will only improve   
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 5:45pm
Well Biggar was saying yesterday that he didn't mind coming on as replacement as Anscombe had been doing the running for 50 minutes. I don't know if he was being unduly generous after a magnificent victory but I  for one couldn't see all that much running from Anscombe, certainly not enough to tire out the English hulks and make the space that we later used to great effect when Biggar was on. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

AWJ getting unnecessarily involved in the argy bargy while pretending to be acting as the peacemaker made my day.

If you look at how well he wound Sinkler up, I think it was a tactic. He was actually at him all game
Find A Player // https://findaplayer.com/
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Well Biggar was saying yesterday that he didn't mind coming on as replacement as Anscombe had been doing the running for 50 minutes. I don't know if he was being unduly generous after a magnificent victory but I  for one couldn't see all that much running from Anscombe, certainly not enough to tire out the English hulks and make the space that we later used to great effect when Biggar was on. 

Both 10s have been better coming on in last 20 than when they’ve started...

My opinion would be keep going with Anscombe for next 2 games and then re-assess for pre-WC.

Anscombe is making mistakes and still being part of a winning team, which can only be making him better as an International 10. Though I think it’s a shame Patchell didn’t get this run of games for Wales instead
Find A Player // https://findaplayer.com/
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 6:29pm
bath in £500,000 bid for Anscombe,he must have a twin.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Both 10s have been better coming on in last 20 than when they’ve started...

My opinion would be keep going with Anscombe for next 2 games and then re-assess for pre-WC.

Anscombe is making mistakes and still being part of a winning team, which can only be making him better as an International 10. Though I think it’s a shame Patchell didn’t get this run of games for Wales instead

Biggar was so much better than Anscombe - and Farrell, for that matter - that I'd like to see him start the last two tests. Anscombe wasn't bad - I thought he did OK overall - but he wasted some goodball with daft kicks, as did Farrell. Biggar has a cool head - and what about that amazing touch finder off the Cawdor charge down? Sheer class.

As for Patchell - he looked out of sorts in his first game back, but was really firing yesterday. Such a pity he got injured when he did.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 8:25pm
patchell has more talent that anyone...he just needs a good run of games at fly half. He is the man who can get this back line going. having him start for wales and biggars class off the bench seems the ideal combo. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 9:25pm
As far as speed and athleticism goes both Patchell and Anscombe are in front of Biggar, but outside half is the position where the top two inches and experience matters more and there were a few times yesterday when it made all the difference. I can't imagine either of the other two finding Adams so precisely for that wonderful try to finish off everyone's favourite villains in the best possible way, even depriving them of a losing bonus.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic