Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Six Nations 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v France teams & thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I’m still not seeing the justification for the adulation Anscombe receives in certain parts of the media. He’s been here 5 years and still not nailed down a Wales spot. Yesterday he asked more questions than provided answers.

I actually want him to go well, if only to stop the perpetual 10 debate.

I'm with you on that one Wil.                                                             
Sponsored Links

surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 1:12pm
I thought Navidi, Moriarty and Tipuric were immense, especially Tips.  His tackling was excellent and Moriarty going the full 80 with no game time!?  Hadleigh and Foxy took a real battering in midfield and both did a lot of unflashy, but effective work.

Adams had a great game as did Sanjay (bit greedy for his disallowed try).

Moriarty's try was legitimate (just).  Picamoles was slightly impeded by AWJ, but would never have got near Moriarty.

Thought North and Anscombe's 1st half positioning could have been better.  I can guess the ferocity of Shaun Edwards half time talk, as Wales defence completely negated the French attack in the 2nd half.

Lineout appalling, England and France will target that big time.  Scrum was outstanding, outclassed a pack 50kg heavier.

Thank goodness for the astute O'Connell commentary.  A rational, breath of fresh air.

Play like the first half and England, Ireland and possibly Scotland will be out of sight.

Edited by surfing-mtber - 02 February 2019 at 4:23pm
Joshua24:15
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I’m still not seeing the justification for the adulation Anscombe receives in certain parts of the media. He’s been here 5 years and still not nailed down a Wales spot. Yesterday he asked more questions than provided answers.

Problem is - it's such a key position. We can't afford another off-night like yesterday's.... I agree with GPR that I'd like (prefer) to see Patchell have a proper run in the position, but of course he's had his chances compromised by injury... in the meantime, Biggar seems to be playing better than Anscombe, so I'd start him v Italy. Without 1/2p, we MUST have one reliable kicker on the field - we saw how much the lack of one cost France, yesterday. 

To be clear - I have never been totally convinced by Anscombe, but was perfectly happy to see him get a chance v France - he'd earned that. Unfortunately, it didn't work out, so...
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

I thought Navidi, Moriarty and Tipureic were immense, espercially Tips.  His tackling was excellent and Moriarty going the full 80 with no game time!?  Hadliegh and Foxy took a real battering in midfield and both did a lot of unflashy, but effective work.

Adams had a great game as did Sanjay (bit greedy for his disallowed try).

Moriarty's try was legitimate (just).  Picamoles was slightly impeded by AWJ, but would never have got near Moriarty.

Thought North and Anscombe's 1st half positioning could have been better.  I can guess the ferocity of Shaun Edwards half time talk, as Wales defence completely negated the French attack in the 2nd half.

Lineout appalling, England and France will target that big time.  Scrum was outstanding, outclassed a pack 50kg heavier.

Thank goodness for the astute O'Connell commentary.  A rational, breath of fresh air.

Play like the first half and England, Ireland and possibly Scotland will be out of sight.

Good comments.

I agree that the back row deserve a lot of praise - and I also thought Moriarty's try was OK... the French guy was practically in the ruck/maul, not a couple of yards behind it (and taking out those defenders has rarely been penalised - to my chagrin - in recent years)... and AWJ bound on him in such a way that, if' he'd really wanted, he could have got free - he preferred to 'Hollywood', waving his arms about - the ref made a BIG mistake in not playing on, allowing Moriarty to 'score', and then asking the TMO for an opinion - I think 3:1 on it would have been allowed. I'm pretty sure the guy would never have got near Moriarty, AWJ or no. 

I also agree that Josh played really well... and that we can't afford another half like that this season!

I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 2:11pm
The ref should surely have looked at a replay to adjudicate on the moriarty no try. it was very marginal but I still think barnes would have disallowed it as awj wasnt exactly subtle, the all blacks still cheta better than us lol
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Problem is - it's such a key position. We can't afford another off-night like yesterday's.... I agree with GPR that I'd like (prefer) to see Patchell have a proper run in the position, but of course he's had his chances compromised by injury... in the meantime, Biggar seems to be playing better than Anscombe, so I'd start him v Italy. Without 1/2p, we MUST have one reliable kicker on the field - we saw how much the lack of one cost France, yesterday. 

To be clear - I have never been totally convinced by Anscombe, but was perfectly happy to see him get a chance v France - he'd earned that. Unfortunately, it didn't work out, so...

When Gatland was asked why he was picking Anscombe, he replied that it would ruin Anscombe's confidence if he wasn't picked. It didn't seem to be a tongue in cheek remark and unless it was some sort of joke it's possibly the worst justification for a selection I've ever heard. 
Doubt if last night did much for his  confidence.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 2:31pm
Player ratings
 liam 6 adams 7 foxy 6 parkes 5.5 north 7 anscombe 5.5 tom 5.5 moriarty 7 navidi 6.5 tips 7 awj 6 beard 6 frances 6 owens 6 rob 6

Bench cawdor and biggar brought a lot. 

We were poor first half, threw far too many silly passes. We also saw a few defensive lapses like north coming in early for heugets try. BUT I would point out, France did play well. Both their tries were very well constructed and their juggernaut players put themselves about. They also took their drop goal superbly.

We were dominant at set scrum, frances has come on in spades. Lineout we lost a few crucial ones. That first 20 minutes of the second half we were pretty superb. The back row was immense. So tireless, so mobile and just making smart decisions. One could say the 2 north tries owed a lot to french self- destruction. And the last intercept pass , was a bit pretty foolish. But we forced the mistakes. Great chases and opportunism from george, 38 test tries is incredible for a 26 year old. Lest we forget we were very unlucky to have 2 tries disallowed. Both superb tries. Foxy burst for moriarty , Liam typically brilliant, step and fend. 

Adams really unlocked the french with a superb change of angles and offload. He was a menace. 

10 wins in a row is incredible. We need luck with injuries. We need to decimate the italians next. He may rotate the back row a bit as moriarty is critical to any chance of winning the tournament. Maybe turnbull or wainwright will be used a bit.  Scott williams may yet come into the frame too. Class player. 

Edited by roy munster - 02 February 2019 at 2:43pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 3:05pm
IMHO  apart from his Asquith moment I thought Sanjay was superb, North took the interception try well but was otherwise poor, Beard was ineffectual, and Navidi seemed far more involved than Tipuric .
tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 8:49pm
I like Navidi, good work rate, you will have to tighten up going forwards, doubt you will get gifted a second half like that again. Fair play you took your chances, but there looked a real lack of bite amongst some of your players. France were very good in the first half, if they manage to play like that for 60 or 70 minutes they might win a game or two.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 9:52am
Having seen that English performance I feel we are going to need to involve Jake to give us more of a physical edge. Our lineout also needs a lot of work. Oh how we are missing Aaron. Gatland must use the Italian game to decide his starting 15 for England. New half backs are a must, lineout a huge work on. Scott must come in at 12 if fit because Tuilagi has already terrorised Parkes once this season. North's defensive play is a worry but he and Adams are a handful going forward and the more we can get them involved the better. 

Our selection at 6 for England will be interesting. Navidi has done nothing wrong but with our lineout deficiencies and need for more bulk I would not be surprised to see Hill or indeed Turnbull feature. All to play for now. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 11:08am
First of all, what a crazy game and I am chuffed we somehow won it. France are the ultimate architects of their own destruction. First half looked rusty but the coaching staff sorted that out at half time but France really handed us 14 points out of nothing.

Guscott said it but nothing from Wales will worry England or Ireland. In particular I think a lack of threat from the backs was apparent: Adams and Liam are dangerous in open play yes, and Foxy still has that line breaking ability but if 9, 10 and 12 cannot give them anything useful then they will be side-stories. As would have been the case on Friday but for France gifting two tries. Anscombe was not convincing and while Biggar is way more assured with his kicking game and goal kicking, he can't play flat or put 12/13 through gaps. So I don't expect much to change really. Contrast that to Finn Russell, who is looking class for Scotland right now.

After a slow start, pack did really well against France, scrum especially. Back row worked hard and France's number 8s in  Picamoles and Lambey took some stopping. Plus centres were strong in defence as well.

Odd one. After seeing bits of Ireland England I think we need to improve substantially to beat either.

Edited by dr_martinov - 03 February 2019 at 11:08am
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 12:35pm
I think that the way to beat Ireland is to put them under pressure. Every kick needs to be chased, and first man has to make the tackle. Additionally, if you get at Sexton he can crumble. Scarlets did it when we beat them at the RDS with 14 men. We failed to get at him last season and lost the semi and final comfortably.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

I think that the way to beat Ireland is to put them under pressure. Every kick needs to be chased, and first man has to make the tackle. Additionally, if you get at Sexton he can crumble. Scarlets did it when we beat them at the RDS with 14 men. We failed to get at him last season and lost the semi and final comfortably.

Indeed Ap Sior. England's line speed and first up tackling was the best I have seen from any team. Stating the bleeding obvious if all teams turn up at the Principality and play like they did over the weekend then both Ireland & England will be far too good for us - but we all know that won't happen. We have a real problem at 9,10 & 12 whereas England seem to have stumbled on to their best choices. Sexton, like any other 10 in World rugby is not quite so good in retreat when all his passing avenues are cut down. England's defensive line swarmed all over them from minute one & he cut a very lonely figure when he shipped that intercepted pass for the 4th try. 

One of Gatland's strengths is his ability to tell players as it is as evidenced by his clear disappointment in George's defensive play when the commentator was setting him up for praise. Edwards and Gatland will be drumming it into the squad this week in Nice that they have used up their luck & need to improve monumentally in most facets of play if they are to have any chance of the title. I for one won't bet against them doing it. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 1:45pm
GPR - I agree 9,10 and 12 aren't settled, but the strength is there in the squad and Gatland will hopefully choose better options for England and Ireland. He can also pick Ball to have a better carrying option than Beard. 
I think his biggest challenge is in the back-row, where there is little carrying option in the absence of Faletau and I'm not sure there is a solution within the squad. 
As for England's defensive line being up so quickly and effectively, then this must mean there are spaces behind, which can be exploited, and turning their heavy forwards might tire them out a lot quicker than Ireland managed.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 1:54pm
Ffidel you are right. Ireland seemed to be obsessed with the box kick and chase even when they were getting nothing from it - England were smart in how they dealt with that threat using blocking runners,  legally I will add, to good effect.

Sexton only tried a couple of kicks over the centres so whether England will be exploitable in that area will be seen.  As for the back row balance I take your point. From what I have seen we do have an option within the squad - Wainwright is an excellent carrier - he isn't the biggest guy but is bigger than Navidi and is pretty pacey as well as picking very good lines. Unfortunately Patchell's lack of games is going to cost him so Biggar will start in Italy and, unless Rhys can get some minutes under his belt against Benetton, then it could be Biggar for the rest of tournament. His goal kicking will most definitely be needed if Leigh doesn't play. 
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 3:15pm
Ireland were beaten by their own tactics England beat them at their own game. Also they had no plan B the space behind the rush defence was huge but never exploited plus the willingness to shovel poop so far behind the gain Line was indefensible. We do not play that style of game other than a rush defence which I think will see Farrell sitting deeper with a chip over the top with shade and co chasing hard which could expose North’s defence frailties. Back row were very good Liam is always selfish and prone to the wild off load with 50/50 success loved josh Adams he will keep defences honest. At the end of the day we didn’t play well against a team who played much better than they have all year and away in Paris I’ll take it thankyou
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic