Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 2:05pm
Well what a predictable dare I say boring selection. No changes from Howley then. Front 5 picks itself as does the front 5 bench - no arguments. Back row Warburton no form where is Young? He is one of the form players in the Aviva & would have walked into Eddie Jones' team - not even on the bench. Biggar!!!!! Halfpenny not in correct position!!!!! Bench - now the bench make up, correct me if I am wrong, is meant to give some dynamic options to change things or up the impetus. I think King is a decent player but surely with Youngs ball playing skills he would have been a better bet. Cawdor & Sam will give that tactical change/impetus but Jamie Roberts? That spot was crying out for one of the new boys either Owen Williams to come on and play as another distributor if Foxy was struggling with Scott going to 13 or Steff Evans/Hewitt to bring gas and try scoring ability. We get Jamie. I have said for a long time that it is probably going to take a catastrophic run of results to get the WRU to act & I am, as near as I have ever been to, wishing for a defeat on Sunday followed by a walloping in Cardiff the following week. 

Lets none of us kid ourselves anything less than a winning bonus point on Sunday will be a failure. 
Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 2:16pm
Even if we win by 60 points which we won't the team lacks genuine pace and of the only two players who are unpredictable in arrack one of them Sanjay is in awful form at moment. Was crying out for a Stef Evans or even Hewitt to try something different. Roberts on bench is a joke Owen Williams gives you so any more options and King instead of Young was there any point in getting these players in early for training when we all knew side before hand. If we lose on Sat where the fudge does Howley go at least if he had tried something different he has something to go back to.
Hope he releases at least Stef for next Friday as we don't want him getting stale sitting round the Vale.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 2:33pm
Yes indeed - unless they have an injury crisis on the wing I can't now see any chance for Steff being required against England. If he had been given 20 minutes on Sunday and it had gone well for him that would have been different. Howley is extremely predictable & makes unfathomable decisions - no place for one of the top back rowers in the Aviva, selecting Giles on the bench against Japan and given no game time, Jamie Roberts on the bench - the list goes on. Howley will be genuinely pleased with a five point win on Sunday against a Treviso/Zebre select 15.

Compare & contrast what Eddie Jones would be expecting. We're doomed!!!Cry
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Well what a predictable dare I say boring selection. No changes from Howley then. Front 5 picks itself as does the front 5 bench - no arguments. Back row Warburton no form where is Young? He is one of the form players in the Aviva & would have walked into Eddie Jones' team - not even on the bench. Biggar!!!!! Halfpenny not in correct position!!!!! Bench - now the bench make up, correct me if I am wrong, is meant to give some dynamic options to change things or up the impetus. I think King is a decent player but surely with Youngs ball playing skills he would have been a better bet. Cawdor & Sam will give that tactical change/impetus but Jamie Roberts? That spot was crying out for one of the new boys either Owen Williams to come on and play as another distributor if Foxy was struggling with Scott going to 13 or Steff Evans/Hewitt to bring gas and try scoring ability. We get Jamie. I have said for a long time that it is probably going to take a catastrophic run of results to get the WRU to act & I am, as near as I have ever been to, wishing for a defeat on Sunday followed by a walloping in Cardiff the following week. 

Lets none of us kid ourselves anything less than a winning bonus point on Sunday will be a failure. 

Whereas I agree with pretty much all of your analysis - including the point that Sanjay should (obviously, as any fule kno) be at 15 with 1/2p on the wing, and that Young should at the very least be on the bench - I can't wish for a defeat. I hope we win with a BP, but with performances forcing a few changes.

We'll see.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Whereas I agree with pretty much all of your analysis - including the point that Sanjay should (obviously, as any fule kno) be at 15 with 1/2p on the wing, and that Young should at the very least be on the bench - I can't wish for a defeat. I hope we win with a BP, but with performances forcing a few changes.

We'll see.

You are, of course correct Aber, when it comes to match day I will be singing like AWJ and playing every move as always. I just get so frustrated by our lack of ambition & planning. If we are so predictable in team selection when we are, after all, playing so badly with so many out of form players then our opposition can surely predict what they are going to be up against. For instance kick long to FB & probably get the ball back 9 out of 10 times; blitz Biggar in defence and cover his kick & chase - attack stopped. I forget the last time I saw a Welsh game when either wing appeared consistently at or around 10. If we fail to inspire in attack this tournament I do hope Howley will accept full responsibility & not pass the buck to our new part time attack coach. I live in hope rather than expectation. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 4:11pm

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

We'll see.

You are, of course correct Aber, when it comes to match day I will be singing like AWJ and playing every move as always. I just get so frustrated by our lack of ambition & planning. If we are so predictable in team selection when we are, after all, playing so badly with so many out of form players then our opposition can surely predict what they are going to be up against. For instance kick long to FB & probably get the ball back 9 out of 10 times; blitz Biggar in defence and cover his kick & chase - attack stopped. I forget the last time I saw a Welsh game when either wing appeared consistently at or around 10. If we fail to inspire in attack this tournament I do hope Howley will accept full responsibility & not pass the buck to our new part time attack coach. I live in hope rather than expectation. 

Don't we all!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 4:24pm
Biggar takes it up to the line, I think we win.

We play a passing game well behind the gain line and we could easily drift in to what Italy want as a match profile, a tense breakdown tussle played in the middle third of the pitch, with slow play, and multiple set piece.

Threat are....

Samson plays in a virtual moon boot, Webb has about 100 mins of rugby in 3 months, Jon is not first choice at his club, Sanjay has had no form in recent weeks and been carrying an ankle, Roberts on the bench is an odd one...

All In all this has the feel of the first game of the AI's -- lots of guys picked that need a big game but are coming off low game time or indifferent form.

Edited by Wil Chips - 02 February 2017 at 4:24pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Biggar takes it up to the line, I think we win.

We play a passing game well behind the gain line and we could easily drift in to what Italy want as a match profile, a tense breakdown tussle played in the middle third of the pitch, with slow play, and multiple set piece.

Threat are....

Samson plays in a virtual moon boot, Webb has about 100 mins of rugby in 3 months, Jon is not first choice at his club, Sanjay has had no form in recent weeks and been carrying an ankle, Roberts on the bench is an odd one...

All In all this has the feel of the first game of the AI's -- lots of guys picked that need a big game but are coming off low game time or indifferent form.

Thanks for that Wil your meant to be cheering me up!!! Trouble is everything you say is spot on. 
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 5:00pm
Sanjay is wasted on the wing
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 5:13pm
Interviewed by Ali Eykyn this morning, Howley said he has not and will not consider Sam Davies and Biggar playing together at 10 & 12.

That's how closed he is to exploring options and alternatives from which he might learn about squad development and start to put pressure on the established regulars. Roberts on the bench is equally baffling. Ermm

It appears that the squad players and uncapped youngsters may only get a chance as and when injuries hit the usual suspects.

Let's hope the usual suspects play them into top form in Rome on Sunday.

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Interviewed by Ali Eykyn this morning, Howley said he has not and will not consider Sam Davies and Biggar playing together at 10 & 12.

Neither are 12s. Have either even started a game in the centre at pro level? I don't blame him here.

But agree on the larger picture that the camp is still too stuck in it's ways.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 6:57pm
Scotts first 6N start for 3 years, and his first as a 12.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 7:16pm
All our representatives have played previously for the RFC.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 7:19pm
Great call out that.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 7:32pm
Roberts is a former full back and winger so to have him on the bench in that respect is not a stupid descion. However his form and the lack of a different type of player on the bench is an issue. The Welsh set up is a closed shop..If your cap fits!!!
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Scotts first 6N start for 3 years, and his first as a 12.

Long overdue and will make the most of it.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic