Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Rugby World Cup 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales World Cup Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2019 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I suspect there will be more with the team playing these huge “ warm up” games. Seems over the top to me playing  so much Test rugby so close to the Tournament. 🤔

It's not over the top, the sh teams coming in off a championship is what has given them the edge over the years. 

Had the world Cup taken place  in April I'm pretty sure we'd have seen different results over the years. 

4 good, hard games are just the ticket to get us up to speed. 
Yep, not to mention the professional arm of the game in Wales really needs the money generated by these games.

I just hope at the time they board the plane to the WC that the injury list is modest - roll the dice really with 4 huge warm ups to play. We shall find out 🤔
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2019 at 6:41pm
It was a RWC warm up match that effectively ended Stoddart's career if I remember correctly.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2019 at 3:40pm
with the latest injury updates on faletau and ellis Jenkins, back rowers now pick themselves in my opinion.:
Front Row: Rob Evans, Wyn Jones, Nicky Smith, Ken Owen, Ryan Elias, Elliott Dee, Samson Lee, Tom Francis, Dillon Lewis.

Locks: Alun Wyn Jones, Adam Beard, Cory Hill

Back Row: Ross Morriarty, Justin Tipuric, Josh Navidi, Aaron Wainwright, James Davies, Aaron Shingler

*Cory Hill to cover 6 / Shingler to cover lock

Scrum Half: Gareth Davies, Aled Davies, Tomos Williams

Fly Half: Gareth Anscombe, Dan Biggar, Jarrod Evans

Centre: Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Scott Williams

Wing / Full Back: Josh Adams, Liam Williams, George North, Leigh Halfpenny, Hal Amos

*Anscombe as Full Back cover / Liam Williams as full back cover / George North as centre cover / Hal Amos as utility.

Omissions IMO:
Rhys Carre / Jake Ball / Bradley Davies / Rhys Patchell / Steff Evans / Owen Watkin / Owen Lane / Jonah Holmes.

a lot of rugby to be played before then though.

Edited by PE SA - 02 August 2019 at 3:40pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2019 at 9:00pm
I think you have 32 there PE SA...

Talk of only taking 2 fly halves prevails. No question Watkin is ahead of Scott, and rightly so, he had a great end of season, but regardless of that I think he’s a really great impact player with an increasing set of attributes. Scott hasn’t played a game since first week January either.

Just can’t see Cubby on the plane, delighted if he was mind.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2019 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Talk of only taking 2 fly halves prevails. No question Watkin is ahead of Scott, and rightly so, he had a great end of season, but regardless of that I think he’s a really great impact player with an increasing set of attributes. Scott hasn’t played a game since first week January either.

Well, according to today's WM:

"That leaves Wales with just the four fully-fit back rowers at present - Moriarty, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright and James Davies."

The 'that' refers to Navidi and Shingler both coming back from serious injuries, and not yet at 100%.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/ellis-jenkins-losing-world-cup-16688480

So, you'd have to think that Cubby's chances have improved significantly.

I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2019 at 7:43pm
Let's see if Cubs plays a part in the next 2 weeks. That would give an indication.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 9:17am

Ah yes...I do have 32!

in that case, one of the back rowers to miss out. I tend to agree with you about Cubby.

as for Scott, despite not playing much rugby in 2019, I feel he is the type of player that may be needed in the squad. Nothing at all against Watkin, who really started to come into his own last season, but Scott I feel is the tough nut they need amongst the backs in the squad. Gatland and the coaches know exactly what he will bring, and I think his experience may give him the nod over Watkin plus he already has a more familiar partnership with both Parkes and Foxy which could sway the decision his way.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 9:52am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Ah yes...I do have 32!

in that case, one of the back rowers to miss out. I tend to agree with you about Cubby.

as for Scott, despite not playing much rugby in 2019, I feel he is the type of player that may be needed in the squad. Nothing at all against Watkin, who really started to come into his own last season, but Scott I feel is the tough nut they need amongst the backs in the squad. Gatland and the coaches know exactly what he will bring, and I think his experience may give him the nod over Watkin plus he already has a more familiar partnership with both Parkes and Foxy which could sway the decision his way.

I can only agree with Wil's assessment of Watkin who made our two centres look very average in the final game of the season. However Scott's ability to play 12 & 13 at International level should not be overlooked. Parkes lacks the pace to play 13 & Watkin has limited if any experience at 13 certainly not at test level. If Scott had not got injured he would of course be my starting 12 ahead of Parkes regardless. 

As for Cubby's chances I think they will have improved with the Faletau setback but I am still not sure. Hearing that Navidi & Shingler are not yet ready for duty would be a big worry as time is running out. Cover for Moriarty is going to be vital not just in Japan but over the next few weeks. I am surprised that Seb Davies hasn't been called up as he will cover 4/5 6 & 8. For my money I would like to see Wainright given a chance at 8 - he is a very dynamic and aggressive carrier with a huge engine.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Ah yes...I do have 32!

I can only agree with Wil's assessment of Watkin who made our two centres look very average in the final game of the season. However Scott's ability to play 12 & 13 at International level should not be overlooked. Parkes lacks the pace to play 13 & Watkin has limited if any experience at 13 certainly not at test level. If Scott had not got injured he would of course be my starting 12 ahead of Parkes regardless. 

As for Cubby's chances I think they will have improved with the Faletau setback but I am still not sure. Hearing that Navidi & Shingler are not yet ready for duty would be a big worry as time is running out. Cover for Moriarty is going to be vital not just in Japan but over the next few weeks. I am surprised that Seb Davies hasn't been called up as he will cover 4/5 6 & 8. For my money I would like to see Wainright given a chance at 8 - he is a very dynamic and aggressive carrier with a huge engine.

I suppose they are hoping/banking on Navidi coming through to cover the 8 position, as well as being the likely starting 6. 

If that doesn't happen - all bets are off. (is Wainwright big enough for 8?)
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 1:24pm
i agree wainwright is surely an option at 8 too
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2019 at 8:04am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Ah yes...I do have 32!

I suppose they are hoping/banking on Navidi coming through to cover the 8 position, as well as being the likely starting 6. 

Well Aber according to the stats they are :-

Moriarty 6' 2" 106 kgs
Navidi 6' 1" 105kgs
Wainright 6' 2" 105 kgs. 

Nothing to choose really. Faletua of course carries another 7-8 kgs which along with all his other talents makes him ideal. For me Wainright has that explosive carrying which may well make him a good option. Our own Josh McLoud has that pace/acceleration also and will be on the International radar in the next couple of years if he continues his development. 
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2019 at 9:54am

Ah yes...I do have 32!

Moriarty 6' 2" 106 kgs
Navidi 6' 1" 105kgs
Wainright 6' 2" 105 kgs. 

Nothing to choose really. Faletua of course carries another 7-8 kgs which along with all his other talents makes him ideal. For me Wainright has that explosive carrying which may well make him a good option. Our own Josh McLoud has that pace/acceleration also and will be on the International radar in the next couple of years if he continues his development. 

If Navidi for whatever reason doesn't make it, if I was Gats I would definitely be on the phone to Josh. Okay, he may well be down the pecking order but his ability to cover 6,7 and most importantly 8 would be invaluable and to be honest after Moriarty and Navidi he is probably Wales' next best 8.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2019 at 10:45am
other options may be considered as back ups to the back ups... lydiate and seb davies
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2019 at 10:59am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

other options may be considered as back ups to the back ups... lydiate and seb davies

From what I've seen of Seb Davies at 8....no thank you. Lydiate who I have previously and unashamedly slated for being one dimensional was actually fantastic in the Autumn internationals last year. Is he fit? surprised he wasn't called up when they found out Faletau was broken.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2019 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Ah yes...I do have 32!

Moriarty 6' 2" 106 kgs
Navidi 6' 1" 105kgs
Wainright 6' 2" 105 kgs. 

If Navidi for whatever reason doesn't make it, if I was Gats I would definitely be on the phone to Josh. Okay, he may well be down the pecking order but his ability to cover 6,7 and most importantly 8 would be invaluable and to be honest after Moriarty and Navidi he is probably Wales' next best 8.

Thomas Young also fits the bill there.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2019 at 12:26pm
Too soon for our Josh. If Navidi doesn't make it then Young, if fit, would be a good bet. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic