Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where were you? Wembley 99.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where were you? Wembley 99.
    Posted: 12 February 2019 at 6:20pm
It's 20 years since that infamous match between ourselves and the   Anglo Saxons. Who will ever forget that special day, when   Scott Gibbs   ripped up the England Grand Slam script. The ribbons were already on the Six Nations trophy, but the Welsh scuppered the script to be put back in the shredder. It was an unique day , Max and Tom   combined to generate the pre match hwyl,and   it helped to bring joy to the Welsh nation at the home of English soocer. Where were you that day ? What are your memories?.

Edited by LLANDRE - 12 February 2019 at 6:22pm
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 8:50pm
told the wife I would look after the kids for her to go shopping as I could see nothing but a hammering.Dead
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 9:02pm
We’re we behind at half time and being outplayed?

If so, it could be the occasion when I’d umpired a top division national league hockey match in a posh part of the SE of England.

When asked if I was staying to watch the second half (of the rugby), I replied that I had to leave now, as I’d not got enough Kleenex tissues in the car to mop up the tears as we roared back to clinch victory.

I enjoyed the radio commentary on the way home, naturally.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 9:14pm
I had 4 tickets for the match, which I earmarked for myself and 3 of my rugby playing teammates (2 of who were saes), but unfortunately they all decided in the days leading up to the match that they didn’t want to go. I was panicking as I was over £100 out of pocket and was struggling to sell the remaining 3 tickets, when a work colleague found a buyer for the tickets in Cardiff. I drove to Cardiff and sold all 4 (at face value of course), meaning that I was actually out of pocket as the buyer didn’t even offer to cover my traveling expenses.
I watched the match with Mrs Legendinmybathroom and other members of the family and had a few cans (which contained bitter ale) to celebrate.
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 10:24am
A rare occasion where I can say "I was there" managed to get tickets off someone in work from New Dock Dtars RFC (will forever be grateful). Day started with a plethora of odd looks as we made our way in full face paint from Chiswick high street, the majority of which i assume had no idea what rugby was let alone what a momentous game was happening at Wembley.

The face paint made more sense the closer we got to the game. Other than the game istelf my one abiding memory of the day was standing on one of the tube station platforms and 5 or 6 football supporters were singing the usual offensive songs about Arsenal when pretty much the whole platform erupted into Calon Lan. Never seen 6 people realise how out of depth they were so quickly in my life LOL.

Sat amongst a few lads from New dock with a couple of good humoured English fans in front of us, the game starting to slip away from us one of the new dock boys jumps up and shouts "F$%^ing Hell I didn't wear my welsh jersey for the french game and we won"

After much admonishing that it was a bit f^£$ing late now, he took his top off anyway "just in case" 2 minutes later the two Scott Q give that short ball to Scott G and pulls off for what is possibly one of my favourite international tries ever, the English boys in front were resigned even before the conversion "Jenkins doesn't miss these"

I am forever grateful to the bbc for not catching footage of my heavily pregnant girlfriend (now wife) dancing on the seats when my overly protective mum thought "It's not the place for a heavily pregnant woman"LOLLOL

The day was complete with a Chinese takeaway and re-watching the game at home with John Inverdale asking "But seriously Kyran (Bracken) can wales beat England today"......Yes John.....yes they can and "I was there"
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Where were you that day ?

Wembley.

Won't forget that in a hurry. That try is a whole load of freak occurences / perfect storms in a pot. The timing. The fate. The angle. The skill. The drama.

From the perfect lineout:

To the Quinnell juggle:

To the Gibbs double step (still can't work out how he did that last jig almost in mid-air):

The touch down:

And not forgetting that Jenkins still had to nail the kick to make it 32-31:

Timeless rugby. The good old days.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

A rare occasion where I can say "I was there" managed to get tickets off someone in work from New Dock Dtars RFC (will forever be grateful). Day started with a plethora of odd looks as we made our way in full face paint from Chiswick high street, the majority of which i assume had no idea what rugby was let alone what a momentous game was happening at Wembley.

The face paint made more sense the closer we got to the game. Other than the game istelf my one abiding memory of the day was standing on one of the tube station platforms and 5 or 6 football supporters were singing the usual offensive songs about Arsenal when pretty much the whole platform erupted into Calon Lan. Never seen 6 people realise how out of depth they were so quickly in my life LOL.

Sat amongst a few lads from New dock with a couple of good humoured English fans in front of us, the game starting to slip away from us one of the new dock boys jumps up and shouts "F$%^ing Hell I didn't wear my welsh jersey for the french game and we won"

After much admonishing that it was a bit f^£$ing late now, he took his top off anyway "just in case" 2 minutes later the two Scott Q give that short ball to Scott G and pulls off for what is possibly one of my favourite international tries ever, the English boys in front were resigned even before the conversion "Jenkins doesn't miss these"

I am forever grateful to the bbc for not catching footage of my heavily pregnant girlfriend (now wife) dancing on the seats when my overly protective mum thought "It's not the place for a heavily pregnant woman"LOLLOL

The day was complete with a Chinese takeaway and re-watching the game at home with John Inverdale asking "But seriously Kyran (Bracken) can wales beat England today"......Yes John.....yes they can and "I was there"

Didnt jiffy and bracken have a little off camera fisticuffs lol
why do the beeb show such blind devotion to the appalling inverdale and steve ryder before him....the man who accused ME of not spelling Awstralia right....LOL
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 7:23pm
I saw it in my local rugby club in Saudi Arabia.  The audience was mainly English and Australian.  It got a lot more raucous in the second half.  The Aussies loved it.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 4:22am
Newquay Arms in Cornwall. Only Welshman with a load of Cornish (English supporting must add). there were two welsh boys down on holiday and at the end we were dancing on the tables. Never seen a pub empty so fast....
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 6:58am
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

spent some time in the pack horse and Talbot back in the day,my mate's sister owned it.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 11:48am
I was there. I ruptured my cruciate ligament in the melee after Gibbs scored and had major surgery a few months later.

I might have had a couple of drinks, too.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 8:51am
Marbella Spain....I remember banging out Men of Harlech to a bar full of English expats.

Don’t recalll that ending well.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 8:59am
they showed the highlights on bbc 2 last night,how valuable was jenks to wales back then?
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 9:30am
Heres another classic from the vault....A team decimated by rugby league and up against a great english team...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x3wB7ub6MM&fbclid=IwAR2W0bp_OUvLGbTthoErRioxRuZbB0bmXssDiLbM_Rg8pDZ-k6RlwEW22HI
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic