Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

which has been the best cup final

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which has been the best cup final
    Posted: 08 December 2004 at 5:57pm
 im stuck between that superb drop goal to beat neath or the dramatic neathvponty one?.
Sponsored Links

Jerry Dammers View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Dammers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2004 at 6:21pm
All the finals we've won have been great for different reasons. I happen to like the last one we were in when we beat Newport, not a classic by any means, but the way it was one way traffic after Mark Jones' try and the last "top class" final before regionalism. A bit of artistic licence here, but the Millenium Stadium semi when we not only played Cardiff off the park but crucified them is my fave trip to the capital, and Peter Rogers bit every time, the hand gestures we had off that man! also the semi in Bridgend (Cardiff again!) when Cardiff were sulking and not playing in the welsh league. Thinking of it the semi's have always seemed to be more entertaining affairs, perhaps it's the final whistle elation when you reach the final? not really a feeling like it (sports wise!)
connor boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2004 at 6:36pm
 the only thing that spoilt the semis,was the back to back ones yet another BRAIN WAVE by the WRU.they were had work especialy when the one you want to watch is last.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2004 at 6:58pm
ask me next year when i'll say the llanelli rfc final
mc scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2004 at 7:56pm

i would have to say one of the neath v llanelli games i watched in the cardiff arms park as a kid.

hated and always hate the semis being played in a half empty stadium. would much rather have stuck to a packed st helens or brewery field where players would fight tooth and nail for a chance to get to the final and play in our famous stadium

Are you the real radio renegade!?
Taffscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2004 at 9:12pm
I'll always remember the Pontypool final in 1991.  I can remember that Ian Jones try like it was yesterday! Fantastic performance.
Although a dour game, Emyr Lewis' drop goal against Neath 1994(?) is up there as well.
Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2004 at 9:48pm
 well to see ponty dead & bruied by half was shocking.BUT the second half truly amazing to go on to win.you could'nt ask for a better finally to 'THE ARMS PARK'.
Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2004 at 11:21pm
The game was pants, but us getting one over on Swansea - when Gillies scored the games' only try, and Moriarty floored John Davies, Phil Booth putting a kick forward for Gillies to score, Mark Jones' emergence as well. Pants game, good memories...
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
Gemma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 12:35am
very good memories! that was my first final I went to and I was sitting behind where gillies scored the try!
MikeM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 9:13am
Originally posted by connor boy connor boy wrote:

the only thing that spoilt the semis,was the back to back ones yet another BRAIN WAVE by the WRU.they were had work especialy when the one you want to watch is last.

I really enjoyed those. Good value for money.
Through Thick And Thin!
Fozzie View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Gas-mask optional.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 10:02am
not a great game but a great performance by Martyn Madden (remember him?) when we beat Ebbw in Bristol
f'dang b'dang boy
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Fozzie Fozzie wrote:

not a great game but a great performance by Martyn Madden (remember him?) when we beat Ebbw in Bristol
hell of a player wore his on his sleeve alright.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 1:00pm

Originally posted by connor boy connor boy wrote:

Originally posted by Fozzie Fozzie wrote:

hell of a player wore his on his sleeve alright.

Shame he lost the plot. became a total prat at the end of his career. Should never be allowed to grace himself at stradey anymore IMHO....

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by mc scarlet mc scarlet wrote:

i would have to say one of the neath v llanelli games i watched in the cardiff arms park as a kid.

Same here. Worst 99.
Scarlet Boy View Drop Down
Bloody Metatarsals

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 3:34pm

Originally posted by Taffscarlet Taffscarlet wrote:

I'll always remember the Pontypool final in 1991.  I can remember that Ian Jones try like it was yesterday! Fantastic performance.
Although a dour game, Emyr Lewis' drop goal against Neath 1994(?) is up there as well.

Have to agree with the Pontypool final in 1991.  Only 7 at the time but I remember it clearly.  Best individual try I've ever seen, Ian Jones magic step to go around the outside was just awesome stuff

Top points scorer - ScarletFever RFC
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2004 at 1:03pm

v Neath in 1988. We were underdogs and Jonathan Davies was awesome that day. We won 28-13.

Also 1991 v Pontypool for an array of top drawer running rugby and superb tries, especially Spaceman's.

1999 - I have erased a certain Saturday in May from my mind.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic