Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is/are Kingspan?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is/are Kingspan?
    Posted: 27 November 2020 at 4:05pm
We all know that Ulster Rugby's main sponsor is 'Kingspan', and the stadium is named for them.

We also heard today that a company called 'Kingspan' was involved in the maufacture of the combustible cladding used in the Grenfell building fire:

"Three directors of Kingspan, the company that made combustible insulation used on Grenfell Tower, cashed in more than £6m in share options before allegations against the business were aired at the public inquiry into the disaster."

You can also see from that quote that some directors cynically sold shares to the value of £6 million, before the value dropped following revelations at the Grenfell inquiry.

Is this (part of) the same company? I don't know, but...

If so, maybe the 'Kingspan' stadium should be renamed as the 'Grenfell Memorial Stadium', out of respect for the victims.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2020 at 4:33pm
It's the same company.
Jones2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2020 at 11:34pm
If the company were heavily involved in the Grenfell tragedy then Ulster should certainly rename their stadium. As has been suggested, the Grenfell Memorial Stadium would be a good name in my opinion, or otherwise simply returning the name to Ravenhill.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2020 at 10:58am
I'm not sure whether Ulster Rugby can be relied upon to behave sensitively on this issue.The way the club conducted themselves during the Paddy Jackson trial  fuelled the acrimony in the debate that ensued across the whole of Ireland.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2020 at 11:20am
Ulster & sensitive are not two words I would ever imagine using. Ulster, one-eyed & cheats now thats better. My apologies to Airdaa who is one of the good ones!!!!!
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2020 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

If the company were heavily involved in the Grenfell tragedy then Ulster should certainly rename their stadium. As has been suggested, the Grenfell Memorial Stadium would be a good name in my opinion, or otherwise simply returning the name to Ravenhill.

The stadium is owned by the IRU so the naming of the stadium may not be Ulsters responsibility.  
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2020 at 1:30pm
And Ulster Rugby's Wikipedia page says the team represent the northern branch of the IRFU. So it is the IRFU who are responsible for all of Ulster Rugby.
Jones2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 9:21pm
More details are still emerging about Kingspan. This bit is truly shocking and must be horrific for the survivors and relatives of those that died. 😡😡
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

More details are still emerging about Kingspan. This bit is truly shocking and must be horrific for the survivors and relatives of those that died. 😡😡

Indeed. These are some of the key quotes:

In a November 2016 text chat Peter Moss, a member of the firm’s technical team, asked his colleague Arron Chalmers, about the fire performance of the foam insulation, which was marketed as having a class-0 rating – the safest for spread of flames across the surface of a product.

After telling Moss that it was class 0, Chalmers added: “Doesn’t actually get class 0 when we test the whole product tho. LOL.”

Moss replied: “WHAT. We lied? Honest opinion now.”

Chalmers said: “Yeahhhh. Tested K15 as a whole – got class 1 [a worse performance]. Whey. Lol.”

Moss’s response was: “poo product. Scrap it.”

Chalmers then explained that it was “worded in such a way that it ‘implies’ the facing can give you class 0 … But don’t tell anyone that.”

I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic