Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why I think Scarlets will supplant Ospreys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why I think Scarlets will supplant Ospreys
    Posted: 27 March 2017 at 4:54pm
Within the next few years, I do actually predict that the Scarlets will replace the Ospreys as being the best-performing and most consistent Welsh regional team.  Why?

(1) Ospreys are over-reliant on their (in many cases ageing) Wales internationals, and don't give so much game time to younger and less experienced players.  In contrast, Scarlets do not seem to be so dominated by their internationals, and instead a lot more young and up-and-coming players are given game time.

(2) More crucially, said youngsters have proven to be pretty good in many cases, especially among the forwards, although of course there are some blips such as the Leinster massacre the other week.

(3) In recent seasons, Scarlets' results against the Irish sides have actually been better than those of the Ospreys.

(4) In my experience, although Scarlets crowds are as small if not smaller than Ospreys crowds, the former seem to be more passionate and dedicated than the latter, which means their fan base is more genuine and less fairweather. 
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 7:44pm
Unfortunately the Ospreys region is far more populous than ours (rugby-wise at least) and apparently  stretches as far as Cowbridge. as was revealed during Sunday's  U18 international with England.  Cai  Evans, Ieuan Evans' son has just been awarded a 4 year development contract with the Sprays. They also seem to have their claws on a lot of the developing talent, even those at school over the border. 
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Unfortunately the Ospreys region is far more populous than ours (rugby-wise at least) and apparently  stretches as far as Cowbridge. as was revealed during Sunday's  U18 international with England.  Cai  Evans, Ieuan Evans' son has just been awarded a 4 year development contract with the Sprays. They also seem to have their claws on a lot of the developing talent, even those at school over the border. 

I'd argue that the Scarlets academy is more prolific than the Ospreys one.  The biggest question of all is: will the younger locks like Ashley, Thornton and Beard be good enough replacements once AWJ and Bradley Davies retire?
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:09pm
The Ospreys have more money, a free stadium that actually pays them money and a big population.
Odds stacked in their favour I'd say.

Although we finished above them last yr!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

The Ospreys have more money, a free stadium that actually pays them money and a big population.
Odds stacked in their favour I'd say.

Although we finished above them last yr!

And in spite of everything, could well do again this year.  The Scarlets have got a relatively easy run-in from now on, whereas I strongly predict that the Ospreys will lose to Leinster and at least one of Ulster or the Scarlets.  (And no, I am not just saying that because of Saturday's shock loss either).  I actually predict the Pro 12 end of season will be (1) Leinster (2) Munster (3) Scarlets (4) Ospreys.  Ulster will slip up against their much more successful Irish rivals and Glasgow have been hot and cold this season.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:15pm
Oh, and if the Swans buy the Liberty, this'll place the Ospreys in a much more precarious position.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Oh, and if the Swans buy the Liberty, this'll place the Ospreys in a much more precarious position.

Keep arguing- it's good for the spirit.

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:24pm
The Os have their toughest block of games to come don't they? Without AWJ they are so much weaker and could conceivably not win another game this season.
However, long term they have much less debt, a bigger population to draw on and that stadium. They won't leave that contract without a substantial payout from the Swans. 7 figures at least.

Edited by Wasp - 27 March 2017 at 8:26pm
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:32pm
The population argument is a red herring ultimately.  The Blues have the most populous catchment of all - the capital of Wales plus the densely populated Valleys - but have not really gone anywhere since Dai Young left.  What matters at the end of the day is good management, an eye for development and a strong team ethic.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:32pm
You'd pick the O's business model every day of the week.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:34pm
The main difference between the two West Wales pro teams is that the Ospreys put more emphasis on efficiency, while the Scarlets put more emphasis on style.  
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:39pm
Well put.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:41pm

The main difference between the two West Wales pro teams is that the Ospreys put more emphasis on efficiency, while the Scarlets put more emphasis on style.  

And in the meantime the East Wales pro teams aren't good at either.Wink
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 8:51pm
I'd also say that if we'd qualified for a home QF, our fixture date and time could've been fixed without waiting for Wendyball to decide when the prime tenants were required in front of the cameras.

While Leinster decamp to The Aviva for a big gate, and associated receipts, to swell their coffers, the Os go to the Principality Stadium because they've been booted out of their home ground. It'll be very interesting to see how many turn up to watch.

Add to that, the complications at Rodney Parade and despite many other points made, I'm glad we are where we are.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 9:25pm

Within the next few years, I do actually predict that the Scarlets will replace the Ospreys as being the best-performing and most consistent Welsh regional team.  Why?

(1) Ospreys are over-reliant on their (in many cases ageing) Wales internationals, and don't give so much game time to younger and less experienced players.  In contrast, Scarlets do not seem to be so dominated by their internationals, and instead a lot more young and up-and-coming players are given game time.

(2) More crucially, said youngsters have proven to be pretty good in many cases, especially among the forwards, although of course there are some blips such as the Leinster massacre the other week.

(3) In recent seasons, Scarlets' results against the Irish sides have actually been better than those of the Ospreys.

Who gives a damn.
A pointless thread.
We are the Scarlets and have nothing to prove. All this type of talk does is give the impression that we have a huge chip on the shoulder.
Let our rugby do the talking, and who cares if we are regarded as the no 1 Welsh region anyway.
(4) In my experience, although Scarlets crowds are as small if not smaller than Ospreys crowds, the former seem to be more passionate and dedicated than the latter, which means their fan base is more genuine and less fairweather. 
Page the oracle
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 7:28am
Pointless thread?
Delicious irony.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic