Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will RGC1404 one day become a region?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will RGC1404 one day become a region?
    Posted: 19 April 2017 at 3:48pm
The masterplan is going well so far...after just a few years, cracking ground , superb facilities...4th in the welsh premiership and welsh cup winners in front of 9000 people

The question is what next and how far can this dream go?

How strong is the feeder club network up north? Would they need more northern sides in the welsh premiership to strengthen their future first?

Or will they simply have to be content to grow a strong semi pro club challenging at the top of welsh premiership , entering cross border competitions and supplying players to the 4 regions?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:00pm
They're pretty well funded by the WRU. They need to find backers of their own before they can consider becoming a region. Their production pathways are also a long way off any existing region.
Players from North Wales in Age Grade international teams are definitely in the minority.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:05pm
If they get a backer, its a cert. They have a few years until they can find a bankroller.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

If they get a backer, its a cert.

Is it? They can turnover the c£9m per annum it takes to be as competitive as the current 4 Welsh pro sides?
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Is it? They can turnover the c£9m per annum it takes to be as competitive as the current 4 Welsh pro sides?
Do the Dragons currently do that? 
I think it will be a case of a plan going nicely that the WRU have/will purchase Rodney Parade for way under market value, and alleged reports that in 2020 a housing company will buy the land for a quite a few million more - profit for the WRU made, Dragons will go and a new development region run by the WRU to open in North Wales.

If they get a generous backer, I can not see them not making it happen to be honest. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:18pm

I think it will be a case of a plan going nicely that the WRU have/will purchase Rodney Parade for way under market value, and alleged reports that in 2020 a housing company will buy the land for a quite a few million more - profit for the WRU made, Dragons will go and a new development region run by the WRU to open in North Wales.

If they get a generous backer, I can not see them not making it happen to be honest. 

The Dragons turnover is about £6m - £7m I believe. If a side in the North can generate that per year just to keep up with the Italians good luck to them. To be a pro side you have to have about 45 professional players on the payroll.

I wouldn't want the Scarlets playing in a league with a development side be it one from Wales, Scotland or anywhere else. Devalues the entire league and makes a mockery of trying to get a decent broadcasting deal and league sponsor. The Pro12 has enough problem as it is with fully pro sides, yet alone development teams.

The days of being sentimental about helping other teams and nations in rugby are sadly over. We are struggling to make ends meet at the Scarlets. That's where all our good thoughts should go.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:23pm

The Dragons turnover is about £6m - £7m I believe. If a side in the North can generate that per year just to keep up with the Italians good luck to them. To be a pro side you have to have about 45 professional players on the payroll.

I wouldn't want the Scarlets playing in a league with a development side be it one from Wales, Scotland or anywhere else. Devalues the entire league and makes a mockery of trying to get a decent broadcasting deal and league sponsor. The Pro12 has enough problem as it is with fully pro sides, yet alone development teams.

The days of being sentimental about helping other teams and nations in rugby are sadly over. We are struggling to make ends meet at the Scarlets. That's where all our good thoughts should go.
agree with all that KidA...I just see it being the way it is heading for Dragons/North Wales. 

I see them having a side, development or not, and Blues will grow into more of an East Wales. 

I do wonder how long it will take for a West Wales region to be set up between us and Ospreys. I just get the impression that's where the WRU want to take it and I think its more a matter of when than if it happens. 
West Region, East Region, North Region.

i think back to when Nigel Davies was coach and his comments about the union and he admitted he didnt know where the future was for Scarlets, but pro rugby will be in Llanelli because of the stadium. 

Edited by PE SA - 19 April 2017 at 4:25pm
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The masterplan is going well so far...after just a few years, cracking ground , superb facilities...4th in the welsh premiership and welsh cup winners in front of 9000 people

How strong is the feeder club network up north? Would they need more northern sides in the welsh premiership to strengthen their future first?

Or will they simply have to be content to grow a strong semi pro club challenging at the top of welsh premiership , entering cross border competitions and supplying players to the 4 regions?
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:50am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

lol I should have just rebooted that thread....The cup win brought it to my mind again
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:52pm
There is far more goodwill towards RGC since they have proven themselves on the field. Their achievments are remarkable and well done to everyone involved. Let's face it they do play entertaining rugby and Parc Eirias main stand is buzzing on game days, despite the absence of any kind of ClubHouse!
However I feel that a few seasons in the premiership will help to solidify local support and tap into the larger Wrexham conurbation. Rich backers are pretty rare things and fingers crossed on that one but in the future it would be a real treat to travel 20mins down the road to support the Scarlets rather than 4 hours.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic