Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  New Posts New Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Will the pro 14 be cancelled due to Covid - 19

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar
IT skilled man of detail

Joined: 18 April 2005
Location: Llanfrancisco
Status: Offline
Points: 9486
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 11:27am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by whataguy whataguy wrote:

We all need to stop believing what the television says.

You mean the figures are wrong?

No, but now there are only deaths from Covid that are the focus. There are generally 12 deaths in the UK per week from flu across the winter period - again, mainly affecting the older population. Italy had something like 20,000 deaths from flu in 2017, again with mainly the elderly being the unfortunate ones - and that's with a vaccination. 

It is serious, as the Spanish Flu was in 1918 (when it killed, what, 50-million people?!). 

But the economic effects have to be considered too. I don't know if our walk-up crowd is that significant - but the knock-on effect to the crowd - to St. Johns Ambulance, to the food vendors, to traders, to the security staff, to bar-staff, to food suppliers etc. etc. If you take money out of the economy, and the multiplier effect that every pound has, that stalling has a massive effect regionally. 

The reality is everything can't ground to a halt or the damage and consequences - to the club and to it's partners, employees etc. are gigantic. That effects our plans for next year, our ability to recruit, to retain - everything the club does is based on revenue and income. That dries up and then it's Pandoras box time.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Pentigili View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 18 December 2017
Location: Pembs
Status: Offline
Points: 224
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentigili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 11:46am
Looks like Connacht game is off then as Irish govt have cancelled all gatherings over 500 until 29 March.
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Online
Points: 11860
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 11:56am
The pro 12 is done stick a fork in it, the European games maybe moved to next season the league games won't
 
No way we are going to be playing cross border competitions in this current situation.
 
The only rugby we may get is domestic games and that is if we are lucky
 
 
Back to Top
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar
IT skilled man of detail

Joined: 18 April 2005
Location: Llanfrancisco
Status: Offline
Points: 9486
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The pro 12 is done stick a fork in it, the European games maybe moved to next season the league games won't
 
No way we are going to be playing cross border competitions in this current situation.
 
The only rugby we may get is domestic games and that is if we are lucky
 

A Welsh Regional Round Robin might be a good shout if we aren't banned from attending. 

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Online
Points: 11860
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The pro 12 is done stick a fork in it, the European games maybe moved to next season the league games won't
 
No way we are going to be playing cross border competitions in this current situation.
 
The only rugby we may get is domestic games and that is if we are lucky
 

A Welsh Regional Round Robin might be a good shout if we aren't banned from attending. 

 
was thinking the same myself, I reckon if we get the all clear . they will do this to try and keep the revenue coming
Back to Top
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar
Dr. Optimist

Joined: 03 May 2008
Location: Bont
Status: Online
Points: 12532
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Pentigili Pentigili wrote:

Looks like Connacht game is off then as Irish govt have cancelled all gatherings over 500 until 29 March.
Could the game be moved to Llanelli?
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
Back to Top
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Don't blink

Joined: 15 August 2004
Location: Pemberton
Status: Offline
Points: 20191
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by whataguy whataguy wrote:

We all need to stop believing what the television says.

You mean the figures are wrong?

No, but now there are only deaths from Covid that are the focus. There are generally 12 deaths in the UK per week from flu across the winter period - again, mainly affecting the older population. Italy had something like 20,000 deaths from flu in 2017, again with mainly the elderly being the unfortunate ones - and that's with a vaccination. 

It is serious, as the Spanish Flu was in 1918 (when it killed, what, 50-million people?!). 

But the economic effects have to be considered too. I don't know if our walk-up crowd is that significant - but the knock-on effect to the crowd - to St. Johns Ambulance, to the food vendors, to traders, to the security staff, to bar-staff, to food suppliers etc. etc. If you take money out of the economy, and the multiplier effect that every pound has, that stalling has a massive effect regionally. 

The reality is everything can't ground to a halt or the damage and consequences - to the club and to it's partners, employees etc. are gigantic. That effects our plans for next year, our ability to recruit, to retain - everything the club does is based on revenue and income. That dries up and then it's Pandoras box time.


More people had it so that means more deaths. 
Back to Top
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Joined: 25 August 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 2983
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 2:46pm
People need to get a grip. Comparing COVID-19 death to deaths from Cancer or Heart Disease is BS. You can't catch Cancer or Heart Disease from standing next to someone in a crowd at a stadium watching Rugby.

Nuff said folks?
Back to Top
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 18 October 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 1482
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

People need to get a grip. Comparing COVID-19 death to deaths from Cancer or Heart Disease is BS. You can't catch Cancer or Heart Disease from standing next to someone in a crowd at a stadium watching Rugby.

Nuff said folks?

1 person mentioned cancer, no-one mentioned heart disease in this thread.
Back to Top
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Don't blink

Joined: 15 August 2004
Location: Pemberton
Status: Offline
Points: 20191
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

People need to get a grip. Comparing COVID-19 death to deaths from Cancer or Heart Disease is BS. You can't catch Cancer or Heart Disease from standing next to someone in a crowd at a stadium watching Rugby.

Nuff said folks?

1 person mentioned cancer, no-one mentioned heart disease in this thread.

He’s talking about the public in general. 
Back to Top
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 May 2005
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 9101
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 4:21pm
PRO14 suspended indefinitely

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51858815

Edited by ap sior - 12 March 2020 at 4:23pm
Back to Top
Pentigili View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 18 December 2017
Location: Pembs
Status: Offline
Points: 224
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentigili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 4:21pm
Pro 14 suspended indefinitely.
Back to Top
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 06 February 2012
Location: Italy
Status: Offline
Points: 5268
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 4:53pm
natural choice considering Benetton and Zebre are off from a week..here all sport activities are stopped
Back to Top
Airdaa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 06 September 2014
Location: Bangor
Status: Offline
Points: 137
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 5:13pm
The IRFU have suspended all rugby in Ireland that is at Mini, schools and club level from 6pm to night until 29/ 03. This will not have been taken lightly as will impact heavily on a large number of cup competitions including the Provincial Schools cup competitions which are big events herein Ireland. This ban includes trading etc.
Back to Top
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 October 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 2365
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Pentigili Pentigili wrote:

Pro 14 suspended indefinitely.
 
There is no way that the games can be played out now.
 
I would think the logical solution would be to take the tables as they stand for European qualification for next season, and perhaps have the play offs if they can be fitted in?
 
I suspect that the regulators wont consider starting up again until the end of April at the earliest.
 
Anyway, peoples health and safety is paramount.
Page the oracle
Back to Top
Scarlet Tom View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 14 January 2020
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 53
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 6:13pm
Frustrating news but a necessary action in light of the situation. As many have already said I worry about the loss of revenue to all the clubs and everything that's related to match days such as pubs, merchandise, stewards, and the like. I don't know how the league can pick up whenever it's declared safe to restart. Let's hope the virus burns itself out quickly and that there is minimal loss of life and we can all get back to normal as soon as we can. 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.