Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will the pro 14 be cancelled due to Covid - 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 3:37am
This catastrophe cannot be avoided but clubs are going to take a huge financial hit. Players wages still need to be paid - but there's no income being generated from matchdays.
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
Sponsored Links

Llanelliman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 8:24am
Suspended indefinitely 
Made in Seaside, Llanelli
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 9:12am
It’s going to really hit budgets for all clubs- I don’t know how TV sponsorship is structured but assume that cancellation of a season is covered and how payments are covered eg reduced? Bills have to be paid including salaries. A worry 😕
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 11:28am
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Welsh teams started a mini league for the remainder of the season. Perhaps with the 2 Scottish clubs. Our TV and sponsorship money might depend on matches being shown, even if they take place behind closed doors. 

I can’t see any overseas fixtures being played for a long time. 
joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 12:35pm
I hope it all gets postponed by a few months and we get a bit of summer rugby. Can't wait to wear my Scarlets shirt on the outside for a change.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 12:41pm
I got tickets to the final in Cardiff, no word on whats happening with that I guess its wait and see. 
Straight knockouts would be my suggestion done by country. 

Top irish vs lowest placed irish team and 2nd vs 3rd.
Same for the welsh clubs
South african teams play each other, Scottish teams. 
Leave the italians out too dodgy Wink
Whoever wins the country playoffs then gets drawn. 
Season is over in 4 games tops. 

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Welsh teams started a mini league for the remainder of the season. Perhaps with the 2 Scottish clubs. Our TV and sponsorship money might depend on matches being shown, even if they take place behind closed doors. 

I can’t see any overseas fixtures being played for a long time. 

A mini league ain’t happening. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 6:27pm
Just called off the Newport v RFc game tonight at Rodney Parade.. I assume Dragons or WRU pressure. So very late in a stadium big enough to take what 10,000 when the gate might be a few hundred, Leadership? Mmm ?

Edited by reesytheexile - 13 March 2020 at 6:27pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2020 at 11:45am
My suggestion would be to play this season to its end, even if that is in November or thereabouts. Afterwards the next season is truncated so that it fits in with however many weekends we have (although hopefully the cancellation of the summer tour will create a bit more space in the calendar,) perhaps by only playing every other team in the league once. For me this is the fairest way of dealing with this crisis, as simply making the season null and void or deciding off current positions seems wholly unfair.
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2020 at 2:13pm
At the moment we are third in our conference and gain entry into the Champions Cup. That’ll do for me. 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2020 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

At the moment we are third in our conference and gain entry into the Champions Cup. That’ll do for me. 
Clap
Keep the faith
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 7:39am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Clap
Totally agree.
Just like in a game that has started and then has to be abandoned midway through - the result stands.
Page the oracle
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 7:40am
Can't see the powers that be messing up next season's schedule. European qualification to be decided on current positions and title given to Leinster who, by any yardstick, are the stand out team. This season's European tournaments null & void. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 8:28am
We may well find out which competitions/clubs/sports have cancellation cover that qualifies as a valid claim payout in these circumstances.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 8:45am
Can't see any chance of completing this year's competitions.

If we're lucky, the Summer tours will be abandoned and next year's domestic season can start a week or two earlier to allow for the inevitable Super Saturday on 31/10 followed by the 4 AIs.
We're still still here!
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 8:54am
It’s not just match scheduling it’s the disruption to training, players spending time in the gym etc. I’d say this season is a goner. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic