Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  New Posts New Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Will the Scarlets make up most of Team Wales?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 May 2005
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 6447
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

I suspect Gatland has his eyes on 2019 and will select a squad with the 2017 Lions plus most of the Islands tour squad.  It is really time for Roberts to go, but I am sure he will be picked.

Warbs will likely pick up an injury in October and I don't think Moriarty will be fit in time, so Shingler might be in the squad.

Will be a big test for the Scarlets losing 10+ players.



I've got to say that I'm not too worried, our back up players really stood up last term and am sure will do so again. Can't see Shingler and Patchell being called up for the AI's or the 6N's.

Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 October 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 11999
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

I suspect Gatland has his eyes on 2019 and will select a squad with the 2017 Lions plus most of the Islands tour squad.  It is really time for Roberts to go, but I am sure he will be picked.

Warbs will likely pick up an injury in October and I don't think Moriarty will be fit in time, so Shingler might be in the squad.

Will be a big test for the Scarlets losing 10+ players.



I've got to say that I'm not too worried, our back up players really stood up last term and am sure will do so again. Can't see Shingler and Patchell being called up for the AI's or the 6N's.


I know what you mean, and there's no doubt that the Scarlets squad is as strong as I can remember in the professional era - on the other hand, several of our 'back up players' from last season are now liable to be called up for the AIs, because they've played so well... Wyn Jones, Ryan Elias, Shingler, Steff Evans and Patchell could well be called up (I don' think any of those figured in the AIs last year, though I could be wrong...). Boyde is a contender, too, though an outsider given the 'closed shop' that is the Wales back row, with no place even for Cubby on top form!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Back to Top
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 15 August 2004
Location: I Love Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 11963
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 4:03pm
North has done absolutely nothing in the first two games of the season.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Back to Top
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 July 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 10031
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Edited my post! I somehow mixed Navidi and Tipuric up! Apologies...can not see any change from that side to be honest though. Even Roberts at 12. 

But thats the side I see being given the nod. same old same old. As suggested, players like steff, elias, Wyn Jones, tackle bags. I hope I am wrong, but if the last decade has seen anything, its the same players usually. We shall see soon enough if fresh faces will come in, but with the disaster of the Welsh tour, I wouldnt be surprised if that will be seen as going against any new face that may have been involved on that tour. 



Who said the Summer tour was a disaster?  Despite being really inexperienced, Wales comfortably beat Tonga, then even after having lost four players to the Lions and Cuthbert to injury, overcame Samoa.  (Don't forget that Samoa have beaten full-strength Wales teams four times - three of them in Cardiff).

If you think some of the players stuck their hands up to show they can force their way in for AI and 6N selection then we shall agree to disagree.
But the form players were not picked.
The coaches originally picked did not have any input...(which is why they pulled out).
Teh whole tour was a farce in my view.
Why pick a coaching team if they had no intention of letting them have any input?
Why take players that did not deserve to go and leave the form behind etc etc.

It shows that the current regime have their style and squad and won't change it.
Back to Top
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 May 2005
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 6447
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 6:10pm
I've heard it alleged that the coaches for the tour included Patchell and Aaron Shingler. The squad that was selected went to Howley for rubber stamping (strange one that as McBryde was in charge), and Patchell and Aaron Shingler were dropped by Howley. I may be wrong on this however.

The squad was subsequently announced to the Press before the tour coaches were informed of the changes that had been made. 

I don't call that good management. To me that aspect of the tour was a shambles to say the least.
Back to Top
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 15 April 2009
Location: Llanelli
Status: Online
Points: 1409
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 7:05pm
North has only played 1 game this season, and made some useful runs yesterday, not soectacular but did show a bit more than last season.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Back to Top
najbritcol View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 04 January 2017
Location: SWANSEA
Status: Online
Points: 733
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Edited my post! I somehow mixed Navidi and Tipuric up! Apologies...can not see any change from that side to be honest though. Even Roberts at 12. 

But thats the side I see being given the nod. same old same old. As suggested, players like steff, elias, Wyn Jones, tackle bags. I hope I am wrong, but if the last decade has seen anything, its the same players usually. We shall see soon enough if fresh faces will come in, but with the disaster of the Welsh tour, I wouldnt be surprised if that will be seen as going against any new face that may have been involved on that tour. 



Who said the Summer tour was a disaster?  Despite being really inexperienced, Wales comfortably beat Tonga, then even after having lost four players to the Lions and Cuthbert to injury, overcame Samoa.  (Don't forget that Samoa have beaten full-strength Wales teams four times - three of them in Cardiff).

If you think some of the players stuck their hands up to show they can force their way in for AI and 6N selection then we shall agree to disagree.
But the form players were not picked.
The coaches originally picked did not have any input...(which is why they pulled out).
Teh whole tour was a farce in my view.
Why pick a coaching team if they had no intention of letting them have any input?
Why take players that did not deserve to go and leave the form behind etc etc.

It shows that the current regime have their style and squad and won't change it.

Given how exceptionally constrained Wales were due to the Lions and injuries (even England retained most of their experienced forwards and half-backs for their Summer tour, which Wales did not), who would you have picked in place of those who were?
Back to Top
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 28 March 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 1160
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 2:08am
Miss the point......players like Shingler who played both games were not originally selected
Back to Top
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 October 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 11999
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:51am
Wales did well to win both games on the summer tour without their Lions, but that doesn't alter the fact that selection was in some positions questionable (to put it kindly) - the non-selection of Cubby, Patchel and Shingler was a joke, and as far as I recall Patchell didn't get a minute of game time, so would have done better to be on a beach somewhere.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Back to Top
diego6754 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 09 June 2011
Location: Neyland
Status: Offline
Points: 313
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:48pm
It comes to something when even Ospreys fans are dumbfounded that the likes of Cubby, Patch, Shingler etc etc aren't involved with Wales. The problem we have is that if Gatland picked on form and not on passed glory/loyalty we could conceivably lose Up to 17 players to Wales at the moment, as well as one to the Jocks and one to the Oirish. Just leave Gats pick his little click and we'll carry on, on our own merry way.
Back to Top
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 June 2010
Location: Sir Berk
Status: Offline
Points: 4103
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:51pm
Whilst I wouldn't expect Gats & Co to change too many of their spots, a few subtle changes of tack on the Lions tour (eg - suddenly/finally being convinced that playing an attacking full-back like Sanj might win more games) combined with the relative form of Welsh players since the end of last season (ie - Scarlets on fire, other regions' players struggling, exiled players a bit hit & miss with the ironic exception of Priestland) could make for an interesting AIs squad.

Gatland has 2 years and a RWC left - he's not even going to be in the mix for the All Blacks' job (for which Wales need to have a sustained good run of impressive results) by sticking to his old game-plan any more. He has little to lose by propelling some more exciting, attack-minded (but defensively solid) talent into the AI/6Ns squads in preparation for RWC19. And that, right now, should mean more Scarlets.

Pivac stated at the 'Meet The Coach' meeting that one of the ways they'd measure success this season was by being the best represented region in the Wales squad, and that his plans for this season (in terms of back-up squad depth) have to take this into account.

At the moment I can easily see a Scarlets front row and three-quarter line (together with ex-Scarlets Sanjay & George), with Jake, Cawdor, Patch & a couple of our young front-rowers pushing themselves on the Wales bench. It'll be our guys leading the way.

Twitterer @ebenezer68
Back to Top
TheKing View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 07 August 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 932
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 5:13pm
I think the fact that team Wales seriously over looked our players last season gave us a massive advantage. Very lucky to have the likes of Cubby, Steff Evans Patchell and Shingler available all season long.
Back to Top
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 25 May 2012
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 958
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 5:22pm
First XXIII for Wales will include Halfpenny, Steff, Scott, Jon, Cawdor, Ball, Rob Evs, Sheriff and Samson. Larger squad could possibly include Shingler, Patch and Wyn Jones. 
Back to Top
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 October 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 11999
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Whilst I wouldn't expect Gats & Co to change too many of their spots, a few subtle changes of tack on the Lions tour (eg - suddenly/finally being convinced that playing an attacking full-back like Sanj might win more games) combined with the relative form of Welsh players since the end of last season (ie - Scarlets on fire, other regions' players struggling, exiled players a bit hit & miss with the ironic exception of Priestland) could make for an interesting AIs squad.

Gatland has 2 years and a RWC left - he's not even going to be in the mix for the All Blacks' job (for which Wales need to have a sustained good run of impressive results) by sticking to his old game-plan any more. He has little to lose by propelling some more exciting, attack-minded (but defensively solid) talent into the AI/6Ns squads in preparation for RWC19. And that, right now, should mean more Scarlets.

Pivac stated at the 'Meet The Coach' meeting that one of the ways they'd measure success this season was by being the best represented region in the Wales squad, and that his plans for this season (in terms of back-up squad depth) have to take this into account.

At the moment I can easily see a Scarlets front row and three-quarter line (together with ex-Scarlets Sanjay & George), with Jake, Cawdor, Patch & a couple of our young front-rowers pushing themselves on the Wales bench. It'll be our guys leading the way.


It's lovely to read that - how different to some football managers, who (it appears) twist the arms of star players to come down with flu, or twinge a hamstring, in the run-up to international windows. I fear that some rugby clubs may go the same way...
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.