Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Rugby World Cup 2019
  New Posts New Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Your team for SA?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 October 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 15263
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your team for SA?
    Posted: 21 October 2019 at 9:25am
I'd go with:

15 Liam
14 North
13 Foxy (if fit) or Watkin
12 Parkes
11 Adams
10 Patchell
9  Cawdor

8 Moriarty (assuming Navidi is out with a hamstring injury - it looked like that)
7 Tipuric
6 Wainwright
5 AW Jones
4 Ball
3 Francis
2 Ken
1 Wyn Jones

Bench: Dee, Carre, Lewis, Beard, Cubby, Tomos Williams, Biggar, Watkin (if Foxy is fit) or Halfpenny

Reasons: Biggar was really poor v France - he more or less gave then their first try by only reaching touch 5m out, instead of (at least) near the 22, which allowed them to score from the lineout. He also failed to get anywhere near France's 5m with two penalties, which finished near their 22. He kicked infield when the sensible thing to do was to put it safely out, allowing them to counter-attack dangerously... and he got flattened in an attempted 'tackle'. I admire Biggar, but that's as poor as he's been for a while, and Patchell has looked a lot sharper when given a chance. His line kicking is also longer and, ATM, more accurate. He is a much more dangerous runner - Biggar never looked like cutting through yesterday.

The other tricky decision concerns the back 3 - North or Halfpenny? 1/2p is playing better, but he'd need to play 15 with Liam on the wing - I'd be reluctant to go down that route, though the coaches may yet give it a shot. Liam's our best attacking runner, and he'd see less of the ball on the wing.

We're short at centre and I know - and understand why - people are calling for Scott to fly out. The coaches won't send Foxy home even if he's not fit for the semi, so long as they think he may be fit for the last game (final or 3rd place play-off)... it could be that if Navidi is definitely out, Scott could fly out to take his place as the back row is well stocked... but even if that happens, I can't see Scott being ready for the semi... the last game, maybe.

Finally - Cubby on the bench instead of Shingler - because, if we're short of centres, we know Cubby can cover in the back line if necessary.

I don't think there'll be many changes, and I doubt they'll drop Biggar despite his lack of form, but we'll see. Most of the players will benefit from a  good kick up the backside this week - and SA are hard to beat but predictable. They are playing better and will most likely win, but if we front up to the power game we are in with a decent chance.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 28 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I'd go with:

15 Liam
14 North
13 Foxy (if fit) or Watkin
12 Parkes
11 Adams
10 Patchell
9  Cawdor

8 Moriarty (assuming Navidi is out with a hamstring injury - it looked like that)
7 Tipuric
6 Wainwright
5 AW Jones
4 Ball
3 Francis
2 Ken
1 Wyn Jones

Bench: Dee, Carre, Lewis, Beard, Cubby, Tomos Williams, Biggar, Watkin (if Foxy is fit) or Halfpenny

Reasons: Biggar was really poor v France - he more or less gave then their first try by only reaching touch 5m out, instead of (at least) near the 22, which allowed them to score from the lineout. He also failed to get anywhere near France's 5m with two penalties, which finished near their 22. He kicked infield when the sensible thing to do was to put it safely out, allowing them to counter-attack dangerously... and he got flattened in an attempted 'tackle'. I admire Biggar, but that's as poor as he's been for a while, and Patchell has looked a lot sharper when given a chance. His line kicking is also longer and, ATM, more accurate. He is a much more dangerous runner - Biggar never looked like cutting through yesterday.

The other tricky decision concerns the back 3 - North or Halfpenny? 1/2p is playing better, but he'd need to play 15 with Liam on the wing - I'd be reluctant to go down that route, though the coaches may yet give it a shot. Liam's our best attacking runner, and he'd see less of the ball on the wing.

We're short at centre and I know - and understand why - people are calling for Scott to fly out. The coaches won't send Foxy home even if he's not fit for the semi, so long as they think he may be fit for the last game (final or 3rd place play-off)... it could be that if Navidi is definitely out, Scott could fly out to take his place as the back row is well stocked... but even if that happens, I can't see Scott being ready for the semi... the last game, maybe.

Finally - Cubby on the bench instead of Shingler - because, if we're short of centres, we know Cubby can cover in the back line if necessary.

I don't think there'll be many changes, and I doubt they'll drop Biggar despite his lack of form, but we'll see. Most of the players will benefit from a  good kick up the backside this week - and SA are hard to beat but predictable. They are playing better and will most likely win, but if we front up to the power game we are in with a decent chance.
Why would Liam see less of the ball on the wings? It really shouldn’t be an issue. Halfpenny and Liam are international back three players and should be good enough to interchange throughout the game like the All Blacks do 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Back to Top
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 July 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11706
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 10:58am
Depends if Foxy is fit as without him, we never click. we are different side when he plays. Most important player for Wales IMO.
 
only change I would make is Halfpenny to 15, Sanjay on the wing instead of North. Watkin on bench.
Back to Top
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 10 November 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 13574
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 11:18am

Wales may be able to get through the SA game through sheer work rate and attitude and then hope that the occasion gets to NZ/England a bit in the final, but if Wales need to score tries it's hard to see where they're going to come from.

Feels a bit like how much credit is left in the bank for a few players and is it too late/risky to gamble anything now.
 
I'd go for the back 3 of Halfpenny, Sanjay and Adams, stick with the centres as there's not much pushing them and Patchell at 10 with Cawdor at 9.
 
Up front there's no-one really pushing for a start so I'd go same again, would have been nice to have players like Rob Evs, Seb Davies and Young out there but it is what it is.
 
I fully expect Gatland to go same again though.
Back to Top
crj89 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 04 May 2009
Status: Online
Points: 337
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 11:22am
Ken Owens for No. 8

Joking aside... It looks like Scott Williams is being called out if Navidi is being replaced by a back.
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11295
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 11:59am
Id make 3 changes. North out Halfpenny 15 liam to wing watkin in to centre parkes out patchell 10 biggar out.  Shingler to bench
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 12686
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I'd go with:

15 Liam
14 North
13 Foxy (if fit) or Watkin
12 Parkes
11 Adams
10 Patchell
9  Cawdor

8 Moriarty (assuming Navidi is out with a hamstring injury - it looked like that)
7 Tipuric
6 Wainwright
5 AW Jones
4 Ball
3 Francis
2 Ken
1 Wyn Jones

Bench: Dee, Carre, Lewis, Beard, Cubby, Tomos Williams, Biggar, Watkin (if Foxy is fit) or Halfpenny

Reasons: Biggar was really poor v France - he more or less gave then their first try by only reaching touch 5m out, instead of (at least) near the 22, which allowed them to score from the lineout. He also failed to get anywhere near France's 5m with two penalties, which finished near their 22. He kicked infield when the sensible thing to do was to put it safely out, allowing them to counter-attack dangerously... and he got flattened in an attempted 'tackle'. I admire Biggar, but that's as poor as he's been for a while, and Patchell has looked a lot sharper when given a chance. His line kicking is also longer and, ATM, more accurate. He is a much more dangerous runner - Biggar never looked like cutting through yesterday.

The other tricky decision concerns the back 3 - North or Halfpenny? 1/2p is playing better, but he'd need to play 15 with Liam on the wing - I'd be reluctant to go down that route, though the coaches may yet give it a shot. Liam's our best attacking runner, and he'd see less of the ball on the wing.

We're short at centre and I know - and understand why - people are calling for Scott to fly out. The coaches won't send Foxy home even if he's not fit for the semi, so long as they think he may be fit for the last game (final or 3rd place play-off)... it could be that if Navidi is definitely out, Scott could fly out to take his place as the back row is well stocked... but even if that happens, I can't see Scott being ready for the semi... the last game, maybe.

Finally - Cubby on the bench instead of Shingler - because, if we're short of centres, we know Cubby can cover in the back line if necessary.

I don't think there'll be many changes, and I doubt they'll drop Biggar despite his lack of form, but we'll see. Most of the players will benefit from a  good kick up the backside this week - and SA are hard to beat but predictable. They are playing better and will most likely win, but if we front up to the power game we are in with a decent chance.


[QUOTE=aber-fan]I'd go with:

15 halfpenny
14 liam
13 Foxy (If fit if not scott 13 parkes 12)
12 scott williams
11 Adams
10 Patchell
9  Cawdor

8 Moriarty 
7 Tipuric
6 Wainwright
5 AW Jones
4 Ball
3 Francis
2 Ken
1 Wyn Jones

Bench: Dee, Carre, Lewis, Beard, Cubby/shingler, Tomos Williams, biggar, north (to cover wings and 13)

patchell has played far better than biggar...far bigger threat with the ball , better passer, kicks 20 yards further and has kicked all his pressure goals too

scott and foxy is the best partnership if both men are fit
parkes looks knackered, watkin has looked average
cant seperate cubby or shingler as bench cover...both offer a great deal.






ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 8257
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Id make 3 changes. North out Halfpenny 15 liam to wing watkin in to centre parkes out patchell 10 biggar out.  Shingler to bench

Agree with most of that - I would start Scott at 12 if at all possible with Foxy hopefully at 13. For me Shingler to start at 6 with Wainwright at 8 & Moriarty on bench. Think we need a huge lineout presence against SA. Hadleigh has been carrying knocks almost from day 1. He is as game as they come but we have to throw sentiment out of the window. 
Back to Top
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 10 April 2009
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 17674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:32pm
15 Halfpenny
14 Williams
13 Foxy
12 Watkin
11 Adams
10 Patchell
9 Davies
8 Wainwright
7 Tipuric
6 Shingler
5 AWJ
4 Ball
3 Francis
2 Owens
1 Jones

Bench:
16 Dee
17 Smith
18 Lewis
19 Beard
20 Moriarty
21 Williams
22 Biggar
23 North
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!
Back to Top
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2009
Location: Africa
Status: Online
Points: 42369
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 3:00am
Same team but Foxy for Watkin and Watkin on the bench for Hpenny.
Moriarty for Navidi and Cubby to the bench.

Gats will not change his starting XV if players are available.

He made the big calls early... Wyn at 1, Wainwright/Navidi and not Moriarty/Shingler, Cawdor not Tomos.

He’s always invested in continuity, often in the face of the media/public clamour for change....hugely loyal and he expects that loyalty to be repaid.

Edited by Wil Chips - 22 October 2019 at 3:08am
Back to Top
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2009
Location: Africa
Status: Online
Points: 42369
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 4:07am
Garces reffing this one.

Edited by Wil Chips - 22 October 2019 at 4:08am
Back to Top
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 28 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Same team but Foxy for Watkin and Watkin on the bench for Hpenny.
Moriarty for Navidi and Cubby to the bench.

Gats will not change his starting XV if players are available.

He made the big calls early... Wyn at 1, Wainwright/Navidi and not Moriarty/Shingler, Cawdor not Tomos.

He’s always invested in continuity, often in the face of the media/public clamour for change....hugely loyal and he expects that loyalty to be repaid.
No Halfpenny for North?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Back to Top
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 10 November 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 13574
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 8:01am
Gatland doesn't half take the fun out of the 'what will the team be' debates. It would be a huge surprise if he did anything other than same again (apart from bringing Foxy back in). In a lot of other set up's players like North, Parkes and Biggar would be in danger of losing their places but Gatland rarely makes any big changes at these stages.
 
The call ups back that up, if he really wanted some selection headaches you'd think that players like Seb Davies and Scott would have replaced Hill and Navidi, sounds a bit unfair but guys like Bradley and Lane (at this stage of his career) will be just grateful to be there and contribute.
 
Bit worried about Garces reffing, makes some odd breakdown decisions and makes it a bit of a lottery, last weekend on a few occasions it was the 3rd/4th/5th man into a ruck getting turnovers.
Back to Top
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 10 April 2009
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 17674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 8:03am
Does anyone think Moriarty's moment of madness with his high tackle after just replacing Navidi might count against him getting a starting spot against SA?

I can also see a valid reason to include Halfpenny in the XV as Wales haven't looked to kick any long range penalties this WC as he hasn't been on the pitch. Bigger hasn't got the same distance as he has. Converting these kicks and taking advantage of any SA indiscipline will be crucial for Wales.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 8257
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 8:12am
I kind of take Wil's point if Amos is a doubt. However we still have 4 back 3 players fit & ready to go without Amos. Foxy cannot be 100% & we all know that Parkes is soldiering on with a few issues. Realistically we could get to Sunday morning with only two fit centres or lord forbid the 30th minute with both Foxy & Parkes back on the bench. I guess in that scenario Watkin would cover 12 from the bench, North would move to 13, Liam to 14 & Patchell to 15 from the bench. 
Back to Top
crj89 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 04 May 2009
Status: Online
Points: 337
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 9:28am
1. Rob Evans
2. Sam Parry
3. Samson Lee
4. Seb Davies
5. Cory Hill
6. Thomas Young
7. Ellis Jenkins
8. Talupe Faletau

9. Rhys Webb
10. Rhys Priestland
11. Steff Evans
12. Owen Williams
13. Scott Williams
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Gareth Anscombe


Edited by crj89 - 22 October 2019 at 9:30am
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.