Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Semi pro image

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2004 at 12:15am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by ursamajor ursamajor wrote:

Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Sorry lads and lasses, don't agree with the points regardless of what my signature says. The regional team are the new boys and hence the club side have more rights to the nickname that the region in a way. The only way to get around it is if one team changes their colours which is something that was touted around as a must for the region so that the scarlet link is lost. Maybe the club should change colours??

What if the region had decided to call themselves West Wales Drovers. Does that mean that suddenly Llandovery supporters can no longer shout for their club side using their established nickname??

I can't agree with this because, in effect, our fight to stand alone in the top flight was to preserve the Scarlets as a top flight rugby side. What was Llanelli RFC became Llanelli Scarlets, and the youngsters came in to fill the void. We retained our status by switching to a regional entity. But we had to field a semi pro team as well, and that team naturally picked up the discarded RFC identity.

If the regional side had chosen a different monicker to the Scarlets this problem wouldn’t have arisen, but not only did it stick with the Scarlets, we stuck with the Llanelli part also, and this has created all sorts of anomalies. How is a small town in Carmarthenshire expected to enfranchise supporters from across over half the geographical land mass of Wales?
I know there are fans from Gwynedd and all points West happy to support a team known either as Llanelli or Scarlets, but we have to look at those potential week in week out supporters of clubs like Narberth, Quins, Llandovery, and others accross the region that still regard either entity as rivals.
Look at the new Quins site. A lot of it is still under construction but regionalism seems to have passed them by if you were to go by their links section. Not a mention of the Scarlets that I could see, and I can sort of sympathise. Witness also the ‘ribbing’ of Llanelli RFC fans for a loss by the regional side the night before.

I know the Scarlets have made progress on this front, especially with ideas like the feeder club ticket option, but we’ve a  way to go before many of these supporters look to us as their own.

Quite hysterically, if you click on Llanelli on their website you get - The Scarlets - love it

TURKS!!!! Your having a laugh surely, being called a Turk is like being called a Nig**r as far as I'm concerned, it's a hateful name invented by Jacks cheesed off at our pretty `Scarlet` nickname

What... the origin for turks has nothing to do with the jacks and nothing to do with rugby either. The town accepted a turkish trading ship when the cardiff and swansea docks wouldn't... I think turks would be a good nickname. we could sound like neef and just shout "turks, turks, turks"  hmm maybe not...

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Sponsored Links

supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2004 at 5:30pm

Yeah but the word `Neef` is a derogatory term in itself and belittles the Neath supporters into a low brow brigade hence my point about Turks !

If I had a quid for the number of times I have heard `He's a bloody Turk` I would retire early..

Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2004 at 5:32pm
sorry and to add, I had never even heard of the term Turk as a nickname for the scarlets until the 90's and I 've had a season ticket since 1975. Whether it comes from an old bit of history or not, it has been pounced on by the scarlet bashers and I don't feel giving it any more prominence is the way forward.
MikeM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2004 at 7:41pm

I'm a Turk and proud of it regardless of what any Jack says. Turk is a nickname for ANYONE that comes from LLanelli absolutely nowt to do with rugby.

I can't see a problem with it. I think if we were shouting Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks at the semipro games it would wind up the opposition fans even more because they think they peev us off by calling us Turks.

How wrong they are

Through Thick And Thin!
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2004 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Lino Lino wrote:

I'm a Turk and proud of it regardless of what any Jack says. Turk is a nickname for ANYONE that comes from LLanelli absolutely nowt to do with rugby.

I can't see a problem with it. I think if we were shouting Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks Turks at the semipro games it would wind up the opposition fans even more because they think they peev us off by calling us Turks.

How wrong they are

Well Lino thats your choice and you are very entitled to it, I'm not a fan of it as you can tell.............

MikeM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2004 at 7:14pm

Originally posted by Lino Lino wrote:

How wrong they are

Well Lino thats your choice and you are very entitled to it, I'm not a fan of it as you can tell.............

Yes I am and no you're not

Through Thick And Thin!
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2004 at 1:34pm
What about Young Scarlets? There's a Young Munster side playing in the Irish league?
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic