Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Injury/team news

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Injury/team news
    Posted: 30 November 2010 at 8:47am
From the SWEP.

Quote SCARLETS lock Lou Reed is set to be sidelined for at least six weeks after suffering a knee injury in the region's bonus-point win in Aironi at the weekend.

Reed has damaged medial knee ligaments and although the Scarlets medical team are confident it is not as serious as first feared, the 23-year-old is likely to be out of action until the new year.

"It is still early to be sure about how long Lou is out for, but at the moment it is looking like six weeks," confirmed a Scarlets spokesman.

The loss of the 6ft 6in second row is a blow for head coach Nigel Davies.

Reed had started in all nine Magners League matches and both Heineken Cup fixtures this season and had become a mainstay of a much-improved Scarlets pack.

At least Davies does have options as cover, with Dominic Day, Damian Welch, Vernon Cooper and Jonny Fa'amatuainu in his squad.

The versatile Aaron Shingler is part of Wales's sevens squad for the forthcoming IRB series tournaments in Dubai and South Africa.

Scotland wing Sean Lamont, meanwhile, is likely to be another to miss the Scarlets' Magners League clash with Leinster at Parc y Scarlets on Friday night.

Lamont suffered severe bruising on his left hip during Saturday's win over Samoa.

Some positive injury news for the region is that back-rowers Rob McCusker (hernia op) and Josh Turnbull (shoulder) are set to be fit for the visit of the Dubliners, although there are doubts over wings Lee Williams (bruised shoulder) and Andy Fenby (groin).

Saturday's 34-17 victory over the league's basement boys has taken the Scarlets to within two points of leaders Munster in the league standings.

Leinster have dropped to sixth following their defeat by the Ospreys at the Liberty Stadium and will be without talisman Brian O'Driscoll, who suffered a suspected broken jaw during Ireland's win over Samoa in Dublin on Sunday.

The former European champions are also without British Lions Rob Kearney and Luke Fitzgerald, who both picked up knee injuries during the autumn Test series.

Edited by Mike - 30 November 2010 at 8:47am
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 8:59am
Buggers, I was worried when Lou went off early on Saturday. He is important to us.

With doubts over Fenby, Lamont and Lee bach we may have to press George in to the starting XV with Stodds on the other wing.

Other than that options are opening up in the back row...hell of a scrap for a starting place there!
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 9:09am
I think George has to start against Leinster. And Welch to partner Dom - I wouldn't start Jonny "Legs of a Sparrow" F at lock. Are Matthew and Steve available?

With regards to Josh & Rob being back, get them on the bench if they're fit enough! I think Ben, Lyons & Edwards should start - massive back-row that.

Even with injuries we're looking suspiciously strong... This is weird.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 9:28am
Is Joe Ajuwa fit again? I want to update the injury topic.
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 10:18am
I suspect that ND's hand is going to be forced with selection for friday. I doubt that Steve or Smiler will start, and in fairness deserve a bit of a rest and imo are amply covered by Rhys and Ken/Emyr. I wouldn't pick any of our injury returnees to start the match either, I'd prefer to see them ease back in for 30 minutes and be ready for Treviso.

My team (if all available)

Dan, Stodds, King, Maule, George, Rhys, Tav, Ben, Lyons, Jonny E, Dom, Welch, Manu, Emyr, Iestyn

Reps: Matthew, Josh, Rob, Phil, Pete, Martyn, Stevo, Scott

I appreciate that there is no recognised second row on the bench but I'd prefer to  push Josh or Rob up to second row and give them some game time.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 10:31am
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

I appreciate that there is no recognised second row on the bench but I'd prefer to  push Josh or Rob up to second row and give them some game time.

I think Rob Gog is a pretty solid second-row. His work in the line-out is suburb. Would be good to have on the bench for Friday.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 10:40am

Bad news about Lou though, he has been great this season.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 12:21pm
shame about Lou, been playing well, but its a squad that is starting to show some real strength, back row especially, you have to go with Ben, John and Dai Lyons, but can have Josh and Rob who were 1st chpice a few weeks back on the bench.....

id leave steve, matthew and deacon on bench.... lets have a great strong bench like we did against the Blues should we need it...

Id go for:-
Evans, Stoddart, Maule, King, North, Preistland, Knoyle, Thomas, Owens, Edwards, Cooper, Welch, Morgan, Edwards, Lyons
Bench: John, Manu, Rees, Mckusker, Turnbull, Roberts, Jones, Williams 
BillyBigBalls View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyBigBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 12:32pm
Lou Reed has been fantastic the last two seasons, should of been selected for the Wales squad by Gatland, does far more work than Gough Confused
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 12:45pm
with our medics record be prepared for him to be out longer than six weeks. They always seem to underestimate.
solo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 12:49pm
Shame about Lou Reed,he's being playing well again and is a better prospect than either Deiniol Jones Or Gough,both have had their day but Wales don't seem to give enough players a go other than throwing loads in for  game e.g. Fiji and then discarding them again.
This might leave us a bit thin on second rows,although Josh or Rob gog might be better than Johnny F there?Are there any players coming up from the Premiership side as though who've played this year have generally done pretty well.
It will be interesting to see how we do on friday after playing Leinster in the Heineken last year,here's hoping we can continue our improvement this year,looking forward to it. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 12:51pm
gutting but theres good news with the bad. Atleast they will be without Bod, fitzgerald and kearny.

Its a week before Europe. and the league is our bread and butter. My team -
Dan Evs, Stodds, Maule, King, North, Rhys, Tav, Lyons, Josh, Jon Eds, Welch, Day, Manu, Smiler, Iestyn.
REPS. - Phil, Gardener, Jonny F, Rob Gog, Martyn, Steve, Scott.
solo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 1:01pm
Pretty good team but I'd have had Ben Morgan & Ken Owens on hte bench instead of Johnny F. but that's just my view. 
Wrigley Man View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrigley Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

I suspect that ND's hand is going to be forced with selection for friday. I doubt that Steve or Smiler will start, and in fairness deserve a bit of a rest and imo are amply covered by Rhys and Ken/Emyr. I wouldn't pick any of our injury returnees to start the match either, I'd prefer to see them ease back in for 30 minutes and be ready for Treviso.

My team (if all available)

Dan, Stodds, King, Maule, George, Rhys, Tav, Ben, Lyons, Jonny E, Dom, Welch, Manu, Emyr, Iestyn

Reps: Matthew, Josh, Rob, Phil, Pete, Martyn, Stevo, Scott

I'd go along with that selection Multi
Allez Scarlets
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 1:38pm
not sure if people have seen it, but the trio, north steve and our captain smiler are available for friday.
Taken this from the website, last part of the aironi write up -

Wales internationals Stephen Jones, Matthew Rees and George North will re-join their region on Thursday. Despite being offered a week off after their Wales campaign, the trio is eager to return to Parc y Scarlets. Rees, North and Jones have requested to come back early and join their Scarlets colleagues ahead of the team's next Magners battle against Leinster on Friday night.

scarlets_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlets_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

not sure if people have seen it, but the trio, north steve and our captain smiler are available for friday.
Taken this from the website, last part of the aironi write up -

Wales internationals Stephen Jones, Matthew Rees and George North will re-join their region on Thursday. Despite being offered a week off after their Wales campaign, the trio is eager to return to Parc y Scarlets. Rees, North and Jones have requested to come back early and join their Scarlets colleagues ahead of the team's next Magners battle against Leinster on Friday night.

Clap Fair play.
twitter.com/scarlets84
www.wefollow.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic