Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AWAY GAMES / TRIPS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plans in Limerick for Saturday and Sunday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plans in Limerick for Saturday and Sunday
    Posted: 12 December 2011 at 5:53pm
Ok, our esteemed colleague Thomond78 has put together a full itinerary to make the most of our time in Limerick. This is based on the Con Air group landing in Shannon at 1.30pm. Hopefully we'll try and follow this as much as possible as local knowledge is always the best knowledge.

Quote Right, the reciprocal guide...

Map - http://www.limericktourist.com/towns/limerick_city/ Limerick's basically a grid system, and it's hard enough to get lost. Everywhere is well within walking distance, so don't bother getting taxis.

You lads are staying in Pier One. They have a grand bar downstairs, with all the games on-screen. At the time you'll be in there - about 2:30, given check-ins, etc. - I'd have the first there and catch the second half of the early game.

From there, I'd go to the Locke - http://www.lockebar.com/. It's a great pub, owned by Ben Cronin, the former international, and my pre-match pub in Limerick. They will be showing every game, they do very good food for a late lunch, and the pints are perfect. From Pier One, go out the door, turn right, second left, keep on down Patrick Street past the Hunt Gallery, and you'll see it across the river. There's usually a screen on in the smaller bar to the right as you go in the door, with a fire, and it's a great place to watch a game.

From there, there are quite a few options; and the best route really depends on where you go for food. I'd leave Clohessy's till last, as it's a bit of a late-night shouty barn; perfect for ending the night, a bit much earlier.

For food, I'd recommend the following: Moghul Emperor is good, and literally within a minute's walk of Pier One - http://www.limericktourist.com/detai..._emperor.shtml. Poppadums is better, and right by the Milk Market/Nancy Blake's. The value menu is a steal. http://www.poppadom.ie/index.php?c=pages&id_page=27#1 Eddie Rocket's is a grand burger joint - keep an eye in the free sheet, the Limerick News, as there's usually two-for-one vouchers in it. There's a very good Lebanese place has opened up just down from Aubar's on Thomas Street. Aubar's itself does grand bistro food, and Cornmarket (further up Thomas Street) is excellent for that style of food.

From there, I'd do a loop. Dolan's, Myles Breen's, Sextons and the White Horse are all great, but it'd be a bit of an over-load in terms of pubs in one day.

If you go for Poppadums, I'd move from the Locke after the first game you watch there, go into Nancy Blakes for a pint, go to Poppadums, then into Nancy's for the other half, then move on. If you go for Aubars/Cornmarket, go into Nancy Blake's first, then on to Fla's (Jerry Flannery's pub) on Catherine Street, just for a peek, and watch the last game; from there to Tom Collins on Cecil Street, just around the corner from Fla's, and one of the nicest pubs I know; from there to Flannery's on Denmark Street (owned by Fla's cousin), then around the corner again into Claws.

Finish up in Claw's. You'll find it a nice short stagger home. Wink

The next morning, either go down to the Milk Market (just by Poppadums/Nancy Blakes) for a coffee and a potter after breakfast, then into the Locke; or go across the bridge by Pier One, turn right and go up the Shannon, and into the Curragower. They usually have a hog roast, so you'll be fine.

TP itself doesn't have a Barn. UL Bohs are underneath the West stand, with their club bar there. They might well be open early. There are bars in each stand; Guinness products, so it's Guinness or Carlsberg. Some food, but not a huge amount. Programs are on sale outside, cost €5.

t78 - what's the name of Jerry Flannery's pub?
Sponsored Links

CRYS16 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRYS16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2011 at 6:47pm
That's an impressive itenary. Many thanks, Thomond78.

Looking forward to the trip. Con Air & Dea-Con Air will be there to take full advantage of what Limerick has to offer.

(Obviously, we will keep the seats warm for when OH finally arrive).

Email info@crys16.cymru with your membership queries!

JOIN CRYS 16 FOR FREE:
http://www.crys16.cymru
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2011 at 6:57pm
Im practicing drinking for this marathon right now,,,,
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
joss View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by CRYS16 CRYS16 wrote:

That's an impressive itenary. Many thanks, Thomond78.

Looking forward to the trip. Con Air & Dea-Con Air will be there to take full advantage of what Limerick has to offer.

(Obviously, we will keep the seats warm for when OH finally arrive).

And we arrive on friday so will keep your seats warmWink
#HUMANTOURS Rise above the rest
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2011 at 7:45pm
You behave now Joss. Create a good impression for us before we arrive on Saturday!!!! Smile.

Dolans was good last time. A lot of the Munster supporters were there on the Saturday night
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Thomond78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomond78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2011 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Ok, our esteemed colleague Thomond78 has put together a full itinerary to make the most of our time in Limerick. This is based on the Con Air group landing in Shannon at 1.30pm. Hopefully we'll try and follow this as much as possible as local knowledge is always the best knowledge.

Quote ...then on to Fla's (Jerry Flannery's pub) on Catherine Street...

t78 - what's the name of Jerry Flannery's pub?

You can't get the staff these days, you know; you really can't...

Dolan's is great, but it's a bit further out of the way than the others, down the Dock Road. 

BTW, Pizza Express = Milano's in Ireland. There's one on the keys between Jury's and Claw's gaff if you're looking for pizza.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2011 at 9:03pm
It's actually called "Fla's"? Ok, fair enough. Cheers again for the itinerary. Looks like all bases covered Thumbs Up
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 2:20am
Thanks for the info T78.

We hope to get in a little site seeing while we are there too.,,couple of castles, that sort of thing..,,
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 8:25am
You'll be bored or relics by the time you get there mun.
Thomond78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomond78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:02pm
Before I forget, the important topic: beer.

Most pubs in Limerick will have at least two stouts, Guinness and Beamish. Quite a few will have MurParc y Scarlets as well. I prefer Beamish; I find Guinness a bit acrid, much like over-extracted, over-roasted coffee, and MurParc y Scarlets a bit too sweet. It can be cranky, though, and needs a decent through-put; thankfully, that's safe in every pub I've given above, all of which have cracking Beamish. Beamish is also, significantly, about 40c/pint cheaper. If you normally drink stout, try it, see how you go and take it from there. Limerick's a town that does great pints, so you'll be safe anywhere.

Lager; you'll have the range of, usually, Heineken, Carlsberg, Bud [haaawwkkspit] and at least one of Kronenbourg, Stella... the usual suspects basically.

Bitter; well, kids, you're spark out of luck on draft. We don't do it. You might get Smithwicks, which is an ale, on draught.

However, on bottled beers, you might be okay. A lot of pubs now carry stuff from micro- and craft-brewers in their fridges. Chances are you've a better odds of getting a bitter or ale there. Almost all of the pubs will have wheat beer in the fridge, too.

Cider will be Bulmers - Magners over there.

All pubs have the prices of their pints outside the door. For Beamish, from memory, I'd usually Parc y Scarletsomewhere between €3 and €3.50/pint. It'd be about 40-50c/pint more expensive for a Guinness in the same pub. Lager's a lot more expensive; about €4-€4.50. From memory, it's €4.50/pint in TP.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:08pm
Beamish for me then. Thanks for the Menu Thormond Smile
Thomond78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomond78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:13pm
Interesting little auto-correct on Murph's, gentlemen!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:16pm
Done in honour of Geordan Murphy
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:16pm
You skinflint Llandre.
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:18pm
Not going anymore, im being picked on in another thread, bloody bully CryWink
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:28pm
Smile. I havent discovered it yet Baz but i must have some Cardiganshire blood in me somwhere.

I dont drink much larger anyway Baz.

Ill buy you a Scotch egg in Limerick A Evans
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic