Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gilbert messed about, contract offer withdrawn!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gilbert messed about, contract offer withdrawn!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote elmo761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gilbert messed about, contract offer withdrawn!!
    Posted: 02 June 2012 at 10:26pm

I’ve tried to contain my disgust and anger towards the region over the last few months, and feel it is now appropriate to vent my frustrations. Mat Gilbert will not be returning for pre-season training or continue to be a member of our squad as he has had a contract offer withdrawn early last week. After being led a merry dance for the past few months, the region decided to withdraw the offer of a contract and turn away a player IMHO who would have been challenging for a starting spot at No.8 next season. Mat is a player who has performed whenever he was given the opportunity last season (far too few!!), most notably in HC try scoring outings against Saints and Castres!! Rather than being given the opportunity to prove what he can really do, he has been badly treated, and it has to raise the question how many others have been through the same?? (Manu, Welch….???) And how many more will have to suffer in the future? Being promised a future, and asked to give your all, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty being lied to!

As has been mentioned on many threads before, this poor way of treating people/businesses is nothing new!! But we cannot calculate the true cost to the region as a business, and equally importantly to the families that give their all to “Heart & Soul Rugby” only to be tossed out without a care.

I personally would like to give Gumbie a big thank you for his performances, efforts and contributions both on and off the field these last two years. He has been the model professional, ironically on a semi-pro’s wage, yet has had time for everyone who wanted to speak to him, and has for me been a huge inspiration for what he has been able to achieve despite his impairment. I know he wants to be known for what he does on the field (well our DVD of him scoring that brilliant try out in Castres back in January has seen better days ;-D) but I hope he knows how much it has meant to us to have him at our region. I’d love to say great region, but I don’t feel it deserves that YET!!

It’s not just about winning matches and trophies; it’s about winning over people! So many people I have come into contact with have very worrying and damaging stories about the old setup at Stradey, and now our “new era” at Parc y Scarlets’s. Bad news travels fast!! I sincerely hope he can find himself another club at this late stage in the season? (The timing of the withdrawal also disgusts me!) And can probably see Lovell Rugby dispatching their colours to our square mile in deepest darkest West Wales soon after!

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/Elmo761
Sponsored Links

bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 10:42pm
Our region is going downhill at a rate of knots, what is happening

What is happening to our region? Matt could not have been on mega money so why are we letting so many players go? Lets hope we have a team for when the Wales players are away.

/W
North London Scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote North London Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 10:42pm
What!? If this is true I'm gobsmacked. An outstanding player with absolute commitment to the shirt who I doubt would break the bank. This exodus is getting beyond a joke. I genuinely fear for next season, an I hate negativity. But come on!!! What is going on!?
Ry'n ni yma o hyd...
SMELLYMIKE View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 10:44pm
un [beep]ing believable
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote North London Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 10:48pm
I tell you what, our match day 23 for the majority of next season is going to look like a completely different team to the one we have been supporting of late! Where's the consistency!? I honestly don't think I've seen such a vast loss of major players to a squad in Celtic rugby all in one go like this! I know the Ospreys lost some big players but lets face it; they have some strength in depth. Anyone remember the 'rats leaving a sinking ship' thread? I'm sure they're saying much the same about us over the loughor. Is this perhaps is finally seeing the real effect of being in such massive debt!?...
Ry'n ni yma o hyd...
SMELLYMIKE View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by North London Scarlet North London Scarlet wrote:

I tell you what, our match day 23 for the majority of next season is going to look like a completely different team to the one we have been supporting of late! Where's the consistency!? I honestly don't think I've seen such a vast loss of major players to a squad in Celtic rugby all in one go like this! I know the Ospreys lost some big players but lets face it; they have some strength in depth. Anyone remember the 'rats leaving a sinking ship' thread? I'm sure they're saying much the same about us over the loughor. Is this perhaps is finally seeing the real effect of being in such massive debt!?...
Well i can assure you they are not.....
elmo761 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

Originally posted by North London Scarlet North London Scarlet wrote:

Well i can assure you they are not.....

You don't have to go as far as the dark side...it's happening this side of the divide as well!! All over our 'Region' if truth be told! You cannot treat people like this and expect the paying public to ignore it!
Ian Lewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 10:58pm
Man management at its very worst, yet again! Earlier in the week it was Deacon, who somehow managed to get them to change their minds and tonight, THIS. Absolutely unbelievable, makes me re evaluate my support and commitment to the region.
We're supposed to have top notch businessmen running the region, it's time they stepped forward and prove it. Or are they and this is the way they operate, bottom line, bottom line and sod the players.
It's not always about where you end up, it's about how you get there.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote North London Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:00pm
I'd love to be a fly on the wall behind those closed doors, so I could come a little closer to understanding what on earth is going on.
Ry'n ni yma o hyd...
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:01pm
I'm sad to see him go, but it is the Head Coach's decision who is offered a contract, and we've just had a brand new Head Coach. Our budget is very tight and sometimes good players will have to be let go in order that we can afford others to stay.

I doubt there are any hard feelings as Matt retweeted this on Twitter earlier,

"Chuffed for Easters! Great coach and deserves the appointment! Gonna be alot of tackle jackling next year for Scarlets!"
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:04pm
Is this related to whether Matt takes up a NWQ place? Depends on whose coming in to take those places.
Freddy The Turk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddy The Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:05pm
A major problem that I can see is we have changed coaches really late in the off season. 

Nigel may have pushed for contracts for Deacon and Murphy maybe Easterby wasn't so keen on them.  I have no idea what has happened mind just putting some thoughts out there but it is very sad to see this kind of situation happening again.

Serenity now. Serenity now.

elmo761 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

He's probably got a lot of respect for Simon having worked closely with him all season!!??
And by all accounts this decision to offer and then snatch away was done under someone else' regime (ND) and not just today or yesterday!! Mat was told about it last Monday (how long after the season has finished!!??) and had been promised a contract months back!!
Lepsgreeny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lepsgreeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

I'm sad to see him go, but it is the Head Coach's decision who is offered a contract, and we've just had a brand new Head Coach. Our budget is very tight and sometimes good players will have to be let go in order that we can afford others to stay.

"Chuffed for Easters! Great coach and deserves the appointment! Gonna be alot of tackle jackling next year for Scarlets!"

It really is vile how genuinely kind people like Matt can be treated like this. A protest is in order!
elmo761 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:15pm
How can our disgust for this treatment of loyal players been transmitted to the Board? Is this something Crys16 was formed to instigate?? Suggestions please...
rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:19pm
Players come and go  . End of story . the coaches obviously feel he aint up  to the standard . Or cant afford him .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic