Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We appear to have the makings of a scrum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 11:51am
If we are in a position where we have a front row of Rhodri Smiler Jacobie with Deacs Ken Samson on the bench I would be comfortable playing anyone in Europe. You could also stick Emyr or Kirby in there, no worries. With Rob Evs to come as well, its appy days.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Sponsored Links

Jag View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

We have a scrum and we should be all chuffed to bits, but i suspect until Boxing day when we take on the Os and hopefully match them up front, i can see the "well AWJ wasnt playing and you were playing our second string"

Let's dominate a strong scrummaging side when they are at full strength.  Then we'll really know we've cracked it.  I agree that the signs are really encouraging, however.
daveoda View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 2:05pm
The best group of tight five forwards for many a year!!I have been very impressed with all of themClapClap
YMLAEN SCARLETS!!!
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 2:15pm
Sean Hopkins did ok yesterday, too.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Yeah, sort of drifted into the team with no great fanfare, but has done well.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by BrummieScarlet BrummieScarlet wrote:

Our second string did well against their 2nd string, I'm not going to shout about that. Lets see how we do against Exeter, Ospreys, Leinster etc before crowing too much.....
I wouldn't call our pack second string. I'd go as far as 3rd string. Blues finished the and with their first choice front row. One of the locks was first choice. And the no.8 was first choice. Only 3 players missing in that pack for the blues, Warburton, navidi and Bradley.
We were missing rhodri, smiler and ken, Earle and vallejos, and an entire back row.

Our scrum was outstanding through the game. The pack did a few good maules, but adriaanse....waw. That was the first game I have seen him. And he's certainly impressed.

Edited by PE SA - 18 November 2012 at 3:54pm
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 4:35pm
Jacobie loves his job and thrives on the scrum environment, he will provide the edge to the new look front five that will provide the platform we need.

Snyman has been a revelation tbh everything about him shines, his galloping runs on kick off's and some of his hits and the applause he always gives when leaving the pitch suggests the guy is loving it at the Scarlets and is giving everything and more for the cause. Snyman didnt have the fanfare when he joined but boy for me he has been simply outstanding.

Jacobie has already got his work cut out in ousting the pocket battleship in Samson, who is getting better and better every game. How often have we had two tight heads battling for the slot in the scrum.

What is clear for me we are going to get better and better all the time..yes we have areas to improve but we have much to enjoy and the highlight still pounding around in my bonce was when we shoved the Blues pack on the halfway line up their own......wonderful warming stuff.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 4:37pm
Kev as PE-SA said towards the end that was well over half the Blues 1st choice forwards. When our replacement front row came on they smashed them nearly every time.
To be a Scarlet is as good as it gets
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 4:42pm
And four of that blues front five that got shoved up their own arses were first choice!

Adriaanse in the little time he has been here has seriously impressed. We now have a wonderful front row to help bring Samson on properly. Involve Samson every game possible now. Samson will learn a lot from the saffer.

I can't wait to see Rhodri Jones, Matthew Rees and Jacob Adriaanse starting. That is a beastly front row with Emyr/kirby/ken, Phil John and Samson on bench. Not bad!

Special mention to Joel Galley and Emyr Phillips too, just back from injury and both got very physical and Emyr strong as ever in the scrum.

Onwards and Upwards.

Tumblescarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tumblescarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Got to agree, Hopkins seems  to have slipped under the radar a bit, held his own yesterday  and definetly worth perservering with, could be a useful addition to our improving front row
Wales only true rugby region.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 8:24pm
Truth is  that we actually   don't desire to be a team that defines itself by scrummaging. what we need to be is a team that doesn't lose tight HEC games because we are dominated at scrum time. In that regard, the new personalities are getting us there imho
#George
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Truth is  that we actually   don't desire to be a team that defines itself by scrummaging. what we need to be is a team that doesn't lose tight HEC games because we are dominated at scrum time. In that regard, the new personalities are getting us there imho

ClapClapClap

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

ClapClapClap

That's the way I feel about it as well. However, if like Leicester, we can pin a side on their own line and get one of their props carded and/or a penalty try, it does help with the scoreline.   
omri jones View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omri jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 11:32pm
Last night we played and won like the Ostriches normally do, but in the absence of our big guns in the backs and playing against a side trying to frustrate us and snatch a win, it was acceptable. It gives us another string in our bow when the backs aren't clicking and makes us a more difficult side to beat. But we should definitely not use it as an alternative to the open attacking rugby that we are known for and that will return when we sort out the breakdown..
BrummieScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrummieScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 9:52am
Originally posted by bazlewis bazlewis wrote:

Kev as PE-SA said towards the end that was well over half the Blues 1st choice forwards. When our replacement front row came on they smashed them nearly every time.

I stand by what I said & Lets see how they do against a REAL pack in a game that matters, I can't get carried away , yes they did well, but lets see against Exeter , The Ospreys, Clermont & Leinster before shouting too much. I remember reading in the run up to the Home Ospreys game how we'd smash them, so forgive me for not jumping up & down because of a LV win.....
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 10:05am
We now have two sets of strong front rowers, so when we make the change at 60 we won't be weakened. On Saturday it was our scrum that enabled us to win the game and this was refreshing as we are normally on the wrong end of losing games due to being penalised at scrum time. Need to sort the line out though, it was not good on Sat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic