Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changes for Connacht?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

It seems that the management no longer rate Dan Jones after his poor performances last season against Leinster and the Dragons.

What a ridicullous statement Dan was an integeral part of the squad last year and contributed massively to winning the title. If Dan is performing well he will be given chance. The Scarlets are picking on form not reputation if someone is not performing even in training they will not be picked compare that to the mess at your beloved Ospreys where they are slowly ruining playing careers of some of the best young Welsh talent like Sam Davies Cracknell Allen and Beard.

To be fair I have also heard that Dan is out of favour. Good player though and he will be back.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 10:51pm
I agree with Ffidel - Sanjay was fixing the defence with his runs and giving space out wide. We seem to be missing that this season and the drift seems a little bit more effective against us. I'd like to see McNichol attacking more from full back. Halfpenny just isn't that kind of player ... as it stands.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 6:23am

It seems that the management no longer rate Dan Jones after his poor performances last season against Leinster and the Dragons.
you know this how?
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 6:48am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

What a ridicullous statement Dan was an integeral part of the squad last year and contributed massively to winning the title. If Dan is performing well he will be given chance. The Scarlets are picking on form not reputation if someone is not performing even in training they will not be picked compare that to the mess at your beloved Ospreys where they are slowly ruining playing careers of some of the best young Welsh talent like Sam Davies Cracknell Allen and Beard.

To be fair I have also heard that Dan is out of favour. Good player though and he will be back.

Dan started at 10 for the Quins on Saturday, first start of the season I think ( after a head knock ).

No truth in the 'out of favour' stuff...just Rhys Jones has had a good pre season and currently holding the 10/15 cover bench shirt while Dan gets back to match sharp.

We will see plenty of him this season.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Dan started at 10 for the Quins on Saturday, first start of the season I think ( after a head knock ).

No truth in the 'out of favour' stuff...just Rhys Jones has had a good pre season and currently holding the 10/15 cover bench shirt while Dan gets back to match sharp.

In all fairness Pivac has said in public that he just misses too many tackles and doesn't get the back line going enough
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 9:01am
He has also said that he has had hardly any pre season minutes, recovering from a head knock and is likely to make a few starts for the Quins to get match fit.

Dan is still a young promising player. Plenty of learning and developing to do.

He will have plenty of game time soon enough.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 9:58am
He stepped in to cover Rhys for 10-12 weeks last season and never let us down. Sure he has issues with his game so does Rhys but he is in very good hands. To be fair Rhys Jones has stepped in so far and covers 10 & 15. We need 3 competent 10's with every likelihood that Patch will be away with Wales.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

He has also said that he has had hardly any pre season minutes, recovering from a head knock and is likely to make a few starts for the Quins to get match fit.

Ye but he dropped him last season didn't he, opting to go with no ten on the bench ahead of selecting him. I rate Dan and I thought he did a good job in Patchell's absence and he's far better than Rhys Jones but that doesn't look very good for him
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 10:46am
Rest the guys that have had a lot of gametime, though they'll need to be on the bench to make sure we're winning. Someting like:

Jones, Elias, Kruger, Ball, Bulbring, Shingler, McLeod, Boyde, Aled, Patch, Steff, Scott, Fox, JMac, Halfpenny

Rob, Ken, Samson, Beirne, Rawlins, Jon, Jones, Asquith
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 10:48am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Ye but he dropped him last season didn't he, opting to go with no ten on the bench ahead of selecting him. I rate Dan and I thought he did a good job in Patchell's absence and he's far better than Rhys Jones but that doesn't look very good for him
Have to agree disappointed in our recruitment of rhys jones and from the little he has played my opinion has not changed. At least with dan you have a great kicking game which he can control a game. Don't think rhys is anyway good enough to be our back up 10. What about asquith at 10?
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 12:10pm

That's absurd if that's true. Dan has played magnificently for us and is right up there on apar with Patches. Kingsley son is utter kak
judith View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Did he drop him, or was it that he couldn't play because of his head knock?
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 12:33pm

What was said in the Crys meeting was- we were at the top end of last season big games coming up. It seems that the stats were showing that the opposition were attacking the 10 channel because Dan was missing too many tackles at that time. The coaches wanted to plug that defensive gap and as Parkes had played at 10 for Pivac at Auckland he knew he could rely on him and he had Stevo work with Sanjay on his goal kicking. At no time did he say that he or the other coaches didnt rate Dan. I'm sure this would have been fed back to Dan who had put in some fine performances last year and was very much a key member of the squad. It was great to see him on the pitch pre match in Dublin assisting with the warm up.

Pivac was asked a specific question about the selection process for the end of seasson games and he answered frankly as he always does. Other positions were discussed he didnt single out Dan especially.

This is based on what Pivac actually said, you've made a pretty damning statement there, based in what exactly?

Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 12:38pm
Pivac covered the Dan Jones question in the meet the coaches evening. I think Pivac said Dan's defence was being exploited and they decided to have Parkes as back up 10 as he's played 10 for Pivac in the past. He also had Stevo to work closely with Liam Williams to get his kicking up above the 60-70% mark. Dan has been given a personal task of getting his defence up to where it should be. This seasons absence has been covered by Mr Chips.

Edited by Havard Fan - 25 September 2017 at 12:39pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Thanks very much for that inside info - we get a lot of daft rumours on SF at times, unfortunately! I rate Dan highly for his kicking and passing games - the one thing he lacks is pace. I look forward to seeing him play an important role in our title defence.

Too early to comment properly on Rhys Jones - he seems a brave player, and as a former 7s guy I assume he's quite quick (?) but smaller than Dan and Patch, so despite his bravery, less likely to be effective at the breakdown. I'll trust the coaches to have picked up a player who can do a specific job for us.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Pivac covered the Dan Jones question in the meet the coaches evening. I think Pivac said Dan's defence was being exploited and they decided to have Parkes as back up 10 as he's played 10 for Pivac in the past. He also had Stevo to work closely with Liam Williams to get his kicking up above the 60-70% mark. Dan has been given a personal task of getting his defence up to where it should be. This seasons absence has been covered by Mr Chips.

Having read this and other comments - interesting that the coaches feel Dan missed too many tackles last term. He's a big, strong boy, so I'd expect him to be able to put this right - tackling is all about a mixture of anticipation, positioning and determination. (Plus technique, of course - I'm no fan of the 'head in front of the knees' tackle we've seen sometimes in recent years!)

Stevo was an excellent defensive 10, and so Dan should be able to learn the essentials quickly. I'd rather not see Parkes at 10 too often, as his kicking is pretty inconsistent. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic