Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changes for Connacht?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes for Connacht?
    Posted: 24 September 2017 at 10:26am
I think there will be a mixture of enforced absences and resting a few players.

Can see a XV along the lines of:

15 Halfpenny
14 McNicholl
13 Foxy
12 Scott
11 Steff
10 R Jones
9 Aled
8 Macleod
7 Boyde
6 Rawlins
5 Bulbring
4 Ball
3 Kruger
2 Elias
1 Wyn

16 Owens
17 Dylan
18 Thomas
19 Price
20 Shingler
21 Evans
22 Patchell
23 Asquith
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Sponsored Links

multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 11:03am
With the ospreys and two big European games on the horizon rotation is key. I appreciate that Connacht are no mugs but we surely have to back the strength of our squad for games like this. Had it been away from Home I’d be concerned about slipping up but at the Parc we can afford a few changes.

Halfers, Steff, Asquith, Scott, prydie, dan/rhys j, Aled, Boyde, Macleod, rawlings, price, bullbring, Kruger, Elias, wyn
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

15 Halfpenny
14 McNicholl
13 Foxy
12 Scott
11 Steff
10 R Jones
9 Aled
8 Macleod
7 Boyde
6 Rawlins
5 Bulbring
4 Ball
3 Kruger
2 Elias
1 Wyn

16 Owens
17 Dylan
18 Thomas
19 Price
20 Shingler
21 Evans
22 Patchell
23 Asquith

Isn't Nicky Thomas out on loan to Bristol.  It will have to be Gardiner on the bench then, although I like the look of your selection.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 11:40am
Couldn't agree more with multinational about the upcoming games in Europe and the ospreys, we really do need to rotate the squad for next week. I would definatly rest halfpenny as patchell has 100% goal kicking accuracy this season and 1/2p is surely restricted by his nbc. I would also rest beirne, Cawdor and Barclay ( although the latter 2 could be unavailable for selection anyway) along with either Parkes or Foxy. I would certainly use this game to see whether some of our current bench players can step up from the start and to look at some of the fringe players off the bench.
But I am also concerned about underestimating the opposition as they have been one of our bogie sides.
McNcholl
Stef
Parkes/ Foxy
Scott
Prydie/Morgan
R Jones
Aled
Wynn
Elias
Kruger
Ball
Bullbring
Rawlings
McCloud
Boyde

Replacements
Samson
Ken
Rob
Beirne (second and back row cover)
Askquith
Patchell
Parkes/Foxy
Jonny Evans
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

15 Halfpenny
14 McNicholl
13 Foxy
12 Scott
11 Steff
10 R Jones
9 Aled
8 Macleod
7 Boyde
6 Rawlins
5 Bulbring
4 Ball
3 Kruger
2 Elias
1 Wyn

16 Owens
17 Dylan
18 Thomas
19 Price
20 Shingler
21 Evans
22 Patchell
23 Asquith

Isn't Nicky Thomas out on loan to Bristol.  It will have to be Gardiner on the bench then, although I like the look of your selection.

You're right, forgot he was on loan.

Will have to be Gardiner on the bench then.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 12:34pm
We have to be careful as we dont want to lose this as we rested to many players thinking this game would be the easy one. We have our internationals available for the next 4 games and after that we probably wont see them until December so IMO we go strongest team available. If anyone has a knock then fair enough rest them but dont rest them and underestimate connacht.
We dont want to lose to Connacht and then go to Ospreys and lose also as no matter how crap the Os are playing they always raise their game for us and we tend to struggle to cope with playing them at the Liberty as we did last season
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 1:11pm
Rawlins played for Llandovery yesterday so hopefully he's fit and has to come in to rest another. Rhys Jones has had time at the helm so I would go with him but have Patch on the bench. Cawdor should be rested even if not concussed and machine men Barclay and Parkes should be forced into resting. Jake has already sat out in Zebre so I dont know how his numbers are looking but I'd like to have him playing if at all possible. I'd also give Tadgh an extra day off during the week, he's been putting in some shifts.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 1:20pm
I would like to see on the bench players like Tom Phillips and Condy, watching thei level and condition this year...of course someone need a rest
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 1:40pm
what's been wrong with Rawlins?
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

15 Halfpenny
14 McNicholl
13 Foxy
12 Scott
11 Steff
10 R Jones
9 Aled
8 Macleod
7 Boyde
6 Rawlins
5 Bulbring
4 Ball
3 Kruger
2 Elias
1 Wyn

16 Owens
17 Dylan
18 Thomas
19 Price
20 Shingler
21 Evans
22 Patchell
23 Asquith

I hope the selection is along those lines - rest those who collected a knock yesterday (whether compulsory or not - Barclay, Cawdor and Parkes), but keep a core of first choice players. In all honesty, even though that's our second choice front row, it's barely weaker than the one which started yesterday. Bulbring looks in good nick... is Rawlins OK? He was superb at the end of last season... has he been injured? 

Other than that, Jones at 10 hasn't had much chance to show what he can do one way or the other. I do rate Dan Jones... is he another coming back from injury?

The team should be close to that shown, I hope.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 2:29pm
It seems that the management no longer rate Dan Jones after his poor performances last season against Leinster and the Dragons.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

It seems that the management no longer rate Dan Jones after his poor performances last season against Leinster and the Dragons.

Really? Everyone can have off days... Dan was pretty solid most times he played. We'll see.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 4:16pm
15,Halfpenny
 14,McNicholl
 13,Foxy
 12,Scott
 11,Steff
 10,Dan
 9,Evans
 1,Wyn
 2,Ryan
 3,Werner
 4,Bulbring
 5,Beirne
 6,Aaron
 8,Boyd
 7,Macleod
 16,Asquith
 17,Patch
 18,Aled
 19,Rob
 20,Ken
 21,Gardiner
 22,Ball
 23,Rawlins

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 7:22pm
If you wanted to play kicking for position more often instead of running almost everything and off-loading then Dan would be a very useful player to have playing, but  this seems to run (no pun intended) against our current philosophy. Personally I would like to see a little more tactical kicking, as opposition sides now tend to be up very fast against our line and can easily nullify passing moves where the ball is transferred mechanically along the line. This didn't used to happen when Sanjay was around as it wasn't all that easy to predict what direction he would hit the line and what he would he would do with the ball. In the last couple of matches I've been shouting for deft kicks or chips (not Wil) to turn the opposition and real pace to reclaim or harass
Of course the best answer would be for the decision makers to ignore any starting instructions and choose the best option for each particular situation ie more flexibility - trust the players more.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

What a ridicullous statement Dan was an integeral part of the squad last year and contributed massively to winning the title. If Dan is performing well he will be given chance. The Scarlets are picking on form not reputation if someone is not performing even in training they will not be picked compare that to the mess at your beloved Ospreys where they are slowly ruining playing careers of some of the best young Welsh talent like Sam Davies Cracknell Allen and Beard.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 7:49pm
The back row needs a bit of rotation, and we are a bit thin already.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic