Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 2:42pm
Interesting posts by people more knowledgeable than me.

I agree the best solution for Welsh pro teams is join English prem

The best solution commercially for Welsh, Scottish teams would be British league (probably good for the Irish too but they have a semi-sweet deal as is)

I think the expansion of these new SA sides into the URC has already improved the league but that’s coming from a position of the P12/14 being v poor. We’re yet to see what it’s like having their internationals and when they’re at home.

The only situation I can see the Welsh clubs getting into the English pyramid would be to accept entry into the lower leagues and work their way up. This would be quite a decade long task and the WRU would have many levers to block this.

I can’t quite imagine what sort of crisis England rugby would have to be in - RFU, Clubs etc - to accept 4 welsh pro teams?
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 2:56pm
As Kid A rightly pointed out the Welsh teams missed their golden chance many years ago. If I was in charge of the Scarlets and we were offered tomorrow a place in the English championship with two up and two down from the Premiership I would bite their hands off. I don't really care about the Scots & Irish as they do not have the competitive history which the anglo-welsh teams have. 

My huge concern is that if the status quo remains with constant financing issues then what we will be left with in 10 years time will look very different from what we have now. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Interesting posts by people more knowledgeable than me.

I agree the best solution for Welsh pro teams is join English prem

The best solution commercially for Welsh, Scottish teams would be British league (probably good for the Irish too but they have a semi-sweet deal as is)

I think the expansion of these new SA sides into the URC has already improved the league but that’s coming from a position of the P12/14 being v poor. We’re yet to see what it’s like having their internationals and when they’re at home.

The only situation I can see the Welsh clubs getting into the English pyramid would be to accept entry into the lower leagues and work their way up. This would be quite a decade long task and the WRU would have many levers to block this.

I can’t quite imagine what sort of crisis England rugby would have to be in - RFU, Clubs etc - to accept 4 welsh pro teams?
It would be down to private equity. If they want it it'll happen, but they look pretty set on South Africa for now.

Edited by scarletnut - 21 October 2021 at 3:46pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

As Kid A rightly pointed out the Welsh teams missed their golden chance many years ago. If I was in charge of the Scarlets and we were offered tomorrow a place in the English championship with two up and two down from the Premiership I would bite their hands off. I don't really care about the Scots & Irish as they do not have the competitive history which the anglo-welsh teams have. 

My huge concern is that if the status quo remains with constant financing issues then what we will be left with in 10 years time will look very different from what we have now. 
Way we’re playing we would be in the third tier of English rugby pretty quickly. 
I would put money on it that there will not be four Welsh regions in ten years. 
We cannot fall behind any more than we have otherwise there is a danger we will be jettisoned. There are a lot of people in Welsh right who would love to see us fail. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2021 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Way we’re playing we would be in the third tier of English rugby pretty quickly. 
I would put money on it that there will not be four Welsh regions in ten years. 
We cannot fall behind any more than we have otherwise there is a danger we will be jettisoned. There are a lot of people in Welsh right who would love to see us fail. 

I think you are right about there not being 4 regions in 10 years time. The past two seasons has really seen us fall quite quickly from being clearly the best region to now probably 3rd/4th. When the cull comes we need to be back at the top. 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2021 at 1:36pm
Moving to 2 or 3 teams would make matters worse in my opinion.  We moan enough now about not producing enough players in certain positions and too many in other positions.  If you reduce the number of teams then you reduce the number of academies and thus reduce the number of opportunities for players to succeed at the highest level.  unless the WRU are again looking at it from a totally selfish as financial viewpoint, 2 teams would require less financial support (they would never consider funding 2 regions with the same total funding as they would put aside for 4 regions), and hoping that they could select a few more English based players for the national side.

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Moving to 2 or 3 teams would make matters worse in my opinion.  We moan enough now about not producing enough players in certain positions and too many in other positions.  If you reduce the number of teams then you reduce the number of academies and thus reduce the number of opportunities for players to succeed at the highest level.  unless the WRU are again looking at it from a totally selfish as financial viewpoint, 2 teams would require less financial support (they would never consider funding 2 regions with the same total funding as they would put aside for 4 regions), and hoping that they could select a few more English based players for the national side.

Lots of good points. The Scottish sides aren’t exactly dominating Europe are they? their national team is improving but hasn’t won anything in my lifetime.

Always bare in mind the Irish teams have tax advantages and many people with deep pockets willing to bung them a few euros for a quality overseas international 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2021 at 7:10pm
Connacht totally dismantled a full strength Ulster in a fine performance..

36-11
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2021 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

36-11

Shock result that did not expect Connacht to beat ulster

Cardiff beat dragons 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2021 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

36-11
Motivated by last week’s so far offside try to Munster injustice?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2021 at 8:03pm
Certainly played with real fire.
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2021 at 9:26pm
All the regions seem to have played better without their Welsh internationals.Three good games. Even the Ospreys have got Munster taking speculative kicks at goal (and failing) to sneak a losing BP
Scott and Watkins look the 2 form centres 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2021 at 9:27pm
Hats off to the Ospreys, got under the skin of an error strewn and lackluster Munster, and ground out a great win.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2021 at 9:47pm
Munster didnt look hungry for it. I might even say complacent and paid the price. Osprey wernt good but seemed to do the basics well. Interesting fact from the english prem today.... 4 games played and there were 70 non english players involved in matchday 23.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2021 at 9:59pm
Interesting- So that  would mean there weren’t  enough English players out today to make one 23 .
England have a huge number of registered players (I was one for around 16 years) but unless they are playing in the Premiership numbers count for nothing 
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2021 at 10:13pm
Think I got my maths a bit wrong there!Even corrected still means an average of 14 English qualified players per 23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 445>
  Share Topic