Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Brexit bonus...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 160>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

To be fair I am 99% sure Aber voted for Brexit but only because of the 350m/NHS and now feels duped Wink

#regrexit

Careful Dyniol or else there will a bucket load of FACTS coming your way. Cry

I note that you always prefer bluster to facts... no coincidence there, methinks.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2021 at 4:02pm

There's also a French election in April so "targeting" Brexit Britain is a fairly cost-free way of appeasing the French nationalist voters - many of whom are migrating towards Zemmour, who also dislikes Britain. 

So if the existing authorities make life hard for Brexit Britain or, Brits in France, swing voters are less likely to swing away from Macron towards Zemmour.

And making a fuss about this is an easy way for the English government to distract attention from the forecast made by their own creation, the Office for Budget responsibility!

BTW - when it comes true, it'll be too late to do anything about it... as with the COVID crisis where Boris prefers optimism over action.

No wonder cases in the UK charge ahead when compared to much of the rest of Europe.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2021 at 5:06pm
I merely related tales delivered first hand to the source telling me or have witnessed personally.

I’ve no knowledge of the details of the fishing boat seizure and that’s why I didn’t comment on media reporting. Clearly, no one can find that comfortable and we hope it gets resolved.

The tales do underline a lack of preparedness of those travelling as people on both sides of the frontier adapt to the new rules.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2021 at 8:33am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

To be fair I am 99% sure Aber voted for Brexit but only because of the 350m/NHS and now feels duped Wink

#regrexit

Careful Dyniol or else there will a bucket load of FACTS coming your way. Cry

I note that you always prefer bluster to facts... no coincidence there, methinks.

Well I try to pay attention to facts as you call them Aber but I am afraid some guesstimates from a government appointed quango do not qualify as facts in my book. I appreciate that anything which appears anti Brexit is fact in your book & if that is how you feel then thats perfectly Ok with me but please don't expect to be allowed to quote these FACTS without being challenged. 

By the way this is the same organisation which suggested in the run up to Brexit that all families would be worse off to the tune of £4500 per annum because of Brexit. It may be a little early yet but I certainly am not worse off & nor are my two daughters. Finally you seem to be confused about my support or not for Boris - just because I supported Brexit does not equate to support for Boris; I fail to understand the correlation in your eyes. Indeed if you care to read the Covid thread from day one I have been one of the biggest critics of this government's actions.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2021 at 4:58pm
Back on the overnight ferry into Portsmouth this morning. It was packed with returning Brits getting their children back after half term.

Unusually, for a Saturday night, no lorries at all on deck 5 of the ferry. Normally, it’s about a third full with them and it surprised us as on the road to the French port, there was the usual number about.

Border Force had 5 of an available 6 or 8 booths open and we were through controls within 30 mins of docking. The weather was foul and a bit too much water on the road for some. 40mph round quite a bit of the Surrey stretch of the M25.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 31 October 2021 at 5:00pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2021 at 7:43pm
Cardiff wAs like a zoo sat, loads of uk (mainly london) based kiws here to. I expect a surge after that. Sorry meant for corona virus thread!!

Edited by RR1972 - 31 October 2021 at 7:44pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 9:15pm
Interesting perspective from an Irish academic on the unfolding of Brexit here: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/view/2580015-video-brexit-and-the-island-of-ireland 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 10:12am
Although covering a great deal more than Brexit, this programme looks into a lot of the anti-immigration feeling down the years. https://www.channel4.com/programmes/empire-state-of-mind
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 4:49pm
I assume many of you - perhaps most - will have noticed shortages on supermarket shelves in the last few months. Recently, our local M&S filled  several shelves with eggs, as they didn't have the 'usual' goods! 

Is this because the goods are in short supply? Or because of a lack of drivers in the UK? And what is the root cause? Where have all the drivers gone? (to misquote an old song)

We didn't see any shortages in France during Sept-Oct... just saying.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 8:06am

I assume many of you - perhaps most - will have noticed shortages on supermarket shelves in the last few months. Recently, our local M&S filled  several shelves with eggs, as they didn't have the 'usual' goods! 

Is this because the goods are in short supply? Or because of a lack of drivers in the UK? And what is the root cause? Where have all the drivers gone? (to misquote an old song)

Lampeter Sainsburys has been pretty good to be honest and my local butcher is doing a roaring trade with meat all supplied within 5 miles of his shop in Lampeter. Think of the CO2 benefits - certainly up to the standards of Western France in my experience.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 9:04am

Lampeter Sainsburys has been pretty good to be honest and my local butcher is doing a roaring trade with meat all supplied within 5 miles of his shop in Lampeter. Think of the CO2 benefits - certainly up to the standards of Western France in my experience.

From Wales Online - and as reported in pretty much all the other newspapers as well:

The UK could face a shortage of alcohol this Christmas.

That is the warning from the Wine and Spirits Trade Association (WSTA) who say imports are taking five times longer than a year ago.

Bottles of alcohol could be missing from dinner tables this Christmas unless the Government does more to address the HGV driver shortage, a group of 48 wine and spirits companies has warned.

Merry Christmas!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 9:10am

From Wales Online - and as reported in pretty much all the other newspapers as well:

The UK could face a shortage of alcohol this Christmas.

That is the warning from the Wine and Spirits Trade Association (WSTA) who say imports are taking five times longer than a year ago.

Bottles of alcohol could be missing from dinner tables this Christmas unless the Government does more to address the HGV driver shortage, a group of 48 wine and spirits companies has warned.

Merry Christmas!

If you are short of wine Aber let me know & I will get you as much as you want delivered to your door. Try the Virgin wines site & get delivery next day- shortage - what shortage. I really do expect more from you Aber than relying on WOL; at least the Guardian has some credibility. Happy Xmas & a stress free 2022.LOL
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 9:50am
One thing we're not short of compared to pre-Brexit days is the number of illegal immigrants entering the country.  That plan worked well.
jimmywilde View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmywilde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 9:55am

Not sure importing from Australia & NZ instead of Europe is going to lower CO² emissions.
Pleased for your butcher, I'm all for buying local.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

One thing we're not short of compared to pre-Brexit days is the number of illegal immigrants entering the country.  That plan worked well.

You are right Rob. Can't really understand Macron's attitude as if he is somehow doing us a favour. These unfortunate people enter Europe mainly through EU member states who seem totally unprepared or unwilling to deal with the situation. 
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 11:16am

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

You are right Rob. Can't really understand Macron's attitude as if he is somehow doing us a favour. These unfortunate people enter Europe mainly through EU member states who seem totally unprepared or unwilling to deal with the situation. 
This wasn't an issue pre Brexit as there was a treaty in place with the EU that covered this.  Britain crashed out of Europe without sorting this out. The UK then promised to pay France £50m+ to patrol the border but then we reneged on the deal - not like Boris' Government at all that.

Anyway, as many said at the time to those who voted for Brexit to keep migrants out; the problem would get worse not better - and it has.  

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 26 November 2021 at 11:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 160>
  Share Topic