Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > B&I Lions 2021
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lions 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 50>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Be interesting post tour when all the dirt tends to come out why Adams hasn’t been in the test 23 especially if he doesn’t make next week?

As for the team whilst vunipola is an understandable choice due to Wyn injury I wonder how long he’ll be able to perform for fitness wise

Harris swap he was my starter so happy with that and deserved

Murray I hope has a much better game than last time Price I thought was excellent

Toby again will offer a bit more than Watson IF he finds his big game mojo

Ken and Cowan much of a muchness

Farrell that kick cemented his spot 🙁

The rest picks it self really
Why does there have to be anything sinister behind it? The Lions have world class options in the back three so there were always going to be other world class players missing out. It's sport it happens.

Doesn’t have to be sinister would like to know the reasoning behind the decision not play one of the most prolific try scorers of the season yes Gatlond has his reasons he’s coach and very successful, so I would be interested, nothing in wrong in that is there?? As for better players when it comes to the wing spot personally in my opinion is the position with by comparison to others is the weakest position so to not see Adams is a surprise non inclusion it may be injury may be head not right post baby who knows.

I tend to think that the coaches, rightly or wrongly, believed that the birth caused Adams to lose his focus.

FWIW, I'd have picked him over Watson (or VDM, for that matter).
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Out of curiosity why do we think LRZ is barely in the conversation for test starting?

As in, I know people don't NOT rate him but he seems to be behind all the other wing/fbs in the pecking order.

For me he has something different to Watson, Duhan and Adams.

Is it his defence? His kicking? Just his age/experience? 

Two reasons, I think - fewer opportunities, and lack of experience. Also - if the others had played badly, he'd definitely been in the frame - but they have all been pretty good, as it happens.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Cawdor the forgotten man as well… Just disappeared. I think that too many players went on this short tour. Too much surplus slack of top class players. Must be a personal challenge and test of mental strength,to accept the sense of rejection when not picked especially in their bubbled up mini world 

Since Murray has not been playing well, I'd have had Cawdor on the bench for the first test as being much more likely to help the Lions come from behind, if needed. But, they were ahead when Price was subbed, and Murray is a master at closing the gem down.

Second test - Murray gets to start. Quite frankly, I am baffled by this, as Price played well. Time will tell if Gatland has got it right again. I would not bet against a man with his record, but it's not a selection I'd have made!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 4:44pm

Be interesting post tour when all the dirt tends to come out why Adams hasn’t been in the test 23 especially if he doesn’t make next week?

As for the team whilst vunipola is an understandable choice due to Wyn injury I wonder how long he’ll be able to perform for fitness wise

Murray I hope has a much better game than last time Price I thought was excellent

Why does there have to be anything sinister behind it? The Lions have world class options in the back three so there were always going to be other world class players missing out. It's sport it happens.

In the ‘definite starters’ around journos and anyone who watched rugby basically Adams was on everyone’s list. I found the his wife just had a baby reason odd, there was talk of slight injury but I’m sure that’s ok by now. The comments on Duhan was his defence. He wasn’t tested with Kolbe Saturday because he didn’t have the ball so we can’t really comment on how he’d fare. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

In the ‘definite starters’ around journos and anyone who watched rugby basically Adams was on everyone’s list. I found the his wife just had a baby reason odd, there was talk of slight injury but I’m sure that’s ok by now. The comments on Duhan was his defence. He wasn’t tested with Kolbe Saturday because he didn’t have the ball so we can’t really comment on how he’d fare. 
Obviously Townsend has pushed for the selection of DVM and won the debate. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Doesn’t have to be sinister would like to know the reasoning behind the decision not play one of the most prolific try scorers of the season yes Gatlond has his reasons he’s coach and very successful, so I would be interested, nothing in wrong in that is there?? As for better players when it comes to the wing spot personally in my opinion is the position with by comparison to others is the weakest position so to not see Adams is a surprise non inclusion it may be injury may be head not right post baby who knows.

I tend to think that the coaches, rightly or wrongly, believed that the birth caused Adams to lose his focus.

whilst we dont know the ins and outs of this....The man has missed the birth flown 5000 miles performed spectacularly and to have the birth now thrown in his face as the reason to drop him from the series must be gut wrenching

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

whilst we dont know the ins and outs of this....The man has missed the birth flown 5000 miles performed spectacularly and to have the birth now thrown in his face as the reason to drop him from the series must be gut wrenching

I gather he has been singing nursery rhymes  to his room mate each night which gave the coaches cause for concern he wasn’t quite in the ‘ smash the Boks “ mode 😉
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

I gather he has been singing nursery rhymes  to his room mate each night which gave the coaches cause for concern he wasn’t quite in the ‘ smash the Boks “ mode 😉

For me this tour was too early for LRZ in that it was a learning curve but should he be required he could probably hold his own. Defensively he is poor but most wingers especially the rockets fall into that mould.
Watson has improved as the tour went on and he got game time VDM I don’t think is better than Adams both in current form and ability but in gatland we trust which I why I originally posted it will be interesting to hear/read post tour what the rationale was on selections someone is bound to write a book they always do!!
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 9:27pm
vdm is the perfect kind of pkayer for gats. The "smash them up" type pkayer. Just like jamie roberts used to do for him i.e. warrenball. Plus the fact that townsend has most probably mentioned his name a few times during coaches briefings hasnt done the guy and harm.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 7:43am
If DVM keeps Kolbe quiet again then we cannot argue. One of the things nagging away at me as kick off approaches is the fact that a clearly tiring Boks team scored one try and had two other close calls in the 2nd half whilst I don't recall the Lions looking like scoring another try. Yes Henshaw's break should have resulted in a supporting player - Price of DVM getting a chance. 

My point really is that the Boks are labelled an attritional, kick chase, defensively minded team yet they created more - funny old game. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

vdm is the perfect kind of pkayer for gats. The "smash them up" type pkayer. Just like jamie roberts used to do for him i.e. warrenball. Plus the fact that townsend has most probably mentioned his name a few times during coaches briefings hasnt done the guy and harm.

Yes Gats will accept anything someone tells him - even a Scot 😂 Come on , that’s just silly and  I don’t buy any of such conspiracy theories. He’s the boss. He will have final decision . I suspect whatever happens on Saturday there could be several changes for the final Test and a bit of levelling up for those itching to play and prove themselves. 

Edited by reesytheexile - 29 July 2021 at 10:59am
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 12:30pm
Rassie Erasmus has released an hour long rant criticising the Lions management and the officiating. He doesn't look in the best of health to me:

https://vimeo.com/579940415
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Rassie Erasmus has released an hour long rant criticising the Lions management and the officiating. He doesn't look in the best of health to me:

https://vimeo.com/579940415

Think Rassie is losing the plot in all honesty. Gatland is winning the mind game hands down at the moment. He is looking and sounding like a man under extreme pressure & if that gets through to his players they are going to need a very convincing first 20 minutes on Saturday. If the Lions can stay with them for the first 40 minutes it could well be all over. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 1:33pm
Reflecting on the Erasmus video I think he will be very lucky to escape sanction either from the SARFU or indeed World Rugby. His criticism of Berry is over the top & his apparent complaint about the unfair treatment of Siya Kolisi is pretty sinister. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

If DVM keeps Kolbe quiet again then we cannot argue. One of the things nagging away at me as kick off approaches is the fact that a clearly tiring Boks team scored one try and had two other close calls in the 2nd half whilst I don't recall the Lions looking like scoring another try. Yes Henshaw's break should have resulted in a supporting player - Price of DVM getting a chance. 

My point really is that the Boks are labelled an attritional, kick chase, defensively minded team yet they created more - funny old game. 

Kolbe didn’t have the ball to be kept quiet so we can’t really gauge on how Duhan did. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Half right - they had more (apparent) try chances, but didn't 'create' anything... one opportunity came when Kolbe knocked on and Hogg threw a wild pass..., another when after a Lions' kick ahead, all three chasers, oddly, missed the guy fielding the ball - that was very poor, unless they were blocked off (it didn't look like it).

So - more chances; no more creativity. If the Lions cut out those daft errors (and I think Gats will have something to say about that), then it should not be an issue.

A greater worry - for me - is the selection of the slow and predictable Murray at 9. But, we'll see.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 50>
  Share Topic