Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SUPPORTERS TRUST NEWS
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Crys16 AGM via Zoom TONIGHT Nigel Short speaks as
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crys16 AGM via Zoom TONIGHT Nigel Short speaks as

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crys16 AGM via Zoom TONIGHT Nigel Short speaks as
    Posted: 21 July 2020 at 12:16am
Crys AGM coming up TODAY  for members on Zoom with 7pm start. ! All members (remember it’s free to join new forum members) will have been notified to register interest. For the first time an election has been held with there being more applicants than vacancies. Great to see the interest from supporters πŸ‘πŸ‘

Nigel Short steps down as Chairman and is speaking tonight to Crys members 

Edited by reesytheexile - 21 July 2020 at 1:47pm
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Crys AGM coming up TODAY  for members on Zoom with 7pm start. ! All members (remember it’s free to join new forum members) will have been notified to register interest. For the first time an election has been held with there being more applicants than vacancies. Great to see the interest from supporters πŸ‘πŸ‘

Nigel Short steps down as Chairman and is speaking tonight to Crys members 
What a scoop for Crys and nice of Nigel to take part. Speaks volumes.

Feeble internet connection prevents me joining in tonight sadly.

Hope it all goes well.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 5:48pm
Thanks Steve.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 7:22pm
Will be a fantastic night, should be great to partecipate to thi zoom night 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 8:40pm
What did nigel short say? 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 12:59pm
I'm sure Crys will summarise in time - don't want to steal their thunder, but thought I'd drop a few notes while it's still fresh for those that couldn't be on last night.

Nigel seemed pretty relaxed - the glass of gwin coch probably helped - and was as open and candid as ever, if realistic about how tough the current situation has been and will continue to be for a while yet. His priority is maintaining the solvency of the club, which means managing the Welsh Govt loan via the WRU and ensuring that it is allocated fairly - he sees no problem with the repayments with the financial planning that they have undertaken, but doesn't underestimate some of the measures which will will be needed to make it viable.

However, he's very excited about the future - CVC will change the governance of the game, raising the professionalism expected of clubs, and they clearly see the business of (club) rugby as being grossly undervalued.

Simon is a Llanelli boy with a great global outlook and experience, and will monetise the global appeal of Scarlets as a recognised rugby 'brand', but one which is unique in how it is 'rooted' in the West Wales community - Crys & supporters have played a huge part in this.

The meticulous selection process for a new Executive Chair - the first fully pro rugby Chair in the UK, if not Europe - saw Simon emerge as the stand-out choice for this role, but also brought in some exceptional new talent. Look forward to new additions to the Board in the coming months, and also an extraordinary appointment of a new role to be announced very soon - stay tuned for this...Shocked

He went on to answer a number of direct questions from Crys members, including very honest assessments of developments at the WRU and our fellow Regions. Fair to say he was sceptical about the approaches taken over the Loughor and in Gwent - just like rugby, building a sustainable and successful business is a game of inches, you can't just throw money at it and expect long-term success. That's what Nigel and our remarkable Board have done since 2011, built and strengthened the foundations, 'reignited the Scarlets spark' and focused on delivering an operation which is about achieving world class results on and off the field.

The appointment of Simon enables the next step up to happen, although Nigel will still be heavily involved, especially with the PRA/PRB, which are absolutely the right mechanisms to achieve success for Welsh rugby, especially with the new Board members, Amanda Blanc and Julie Paterson. The Dragons issue needs resolving, though, and the WRU will soon have a new CEO, to replace Martyn Phillips, who can certainly facilitate the changes required in the next few years. Nigel says he enjoys going to Cardiff 'about as much as I enjoy toothache', but will continue to endure it as Scarlets' PRB rep for the foreseeable future - that's to our great benefit and Welsh rugby's.

He thanked all supporters for their patience and unswerving loyalty in these extraordinary times - I think he said that not one season ticket holder had asked for a refund - quite incredible, but a testament to the fans' relationship with the Scarlets.

To be honest, I've not followed much detail in recent months - I'm still furloughed, and I know the club and the game have been dealing with unbelievable issues, so frankly I feared the worst. After last night, I'm aware that there are still tough times to be managed, but I am immensely reassured and heartened by what Nigel said.

We've been in great hands for the past 9 years, and we're now being strengthened further - plus, he's not going anywhere - we're stuck with Shorty's unique vision, drive and fashion sense for a while yet!

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 1:57pm
Thanks Nobby. Most informative.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic