FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boring Rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boring Rugby
    Posted: 01 April 2022 at 8:41am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Takes a lot of players to make a caterpillar too.Wink

I did hear one person suggest it shouldn’t be called a caterpillar rather call it a human centipede 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2022 at 3:32am
jarod evans omission this season by the so called more attacking welsh coach mr pivac highlights how uber conservative anti flair welsh rugby is and has been for many moons
sir duckling tuft
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2022 at 7:43pm
Takes a lot of players to make a caterpillar too.Wink
Keep the faith
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2022 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I agree and broadcasters should have an onscreen timer from use-it that the TMO can see, anything that stops the build up to the caterpillar will help rugby imo.
Easier go back to old rule as soon as SH touches ball it’s in play 

That hinders attacking rugby though as team with possession has to commit lots of people to breakdown to protect 9
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2022 at 5:27pm

I agree and broadcasters should have an onscreen timer from use-it that the TMO can see, anything that stops the build up to the caterpillar will help rugby imo.
Easier go back to old rule as soon as SH touches ball it’s in play 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2022 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

When the referee calls ruck, no one else can join the ruck, so no caterpillar can be formed. 

Also something which I have noticed this season is a defending player standing to the side of the ruck, not attached to it, being a shield for the 9 when box kicking, that should be stopped too.

Far too much protection for the 9's these days.
The problem with any of those rules (however sensible some of them are) is that refs don’t tend to want to blow the whistle too often and so what you’d see is they’d clamp down on it quite hard in the first few months and then minds would drift and things would be back to how they are now within a year or two. Instead I’d propose cutting down the time from ‘use it’ to actually having to use it from 5 to 3 seconds. Once 3 seconds have gone the ref shouts ‘ball out’ and the defending team can pick the ball up from the ruck. That way you get rid of the box kick, and make the game more entertaining, and do something that the refs are likely to persist with for more than a few weeks / months. 
The trouble is ref's now shout use it & I often count (yes I am that sad) 7 or 8 seconds before the ball is actually picked up.
So if the time is cut to 3 seconds there’s half a chance the ball will be out in 5! In all seriousness I think a big part of the reason for that is that refs don’t want to cause another scrum (and the resets that tend to come with them). That’s why I proposed just the ruck being over after 3 seconds (and hence the ref shouting ‘ball out’), therefore avoiding any scrums / free kicks. Of course there’s no guarantee that it would work but it seems worth a trial at the very least IMO. 

Didn't stop Busby last week !
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2022 at 4:43pm
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2022 at 3:55pm

When the referee calls ruck, no one else can join the ruck, so no caterpillar can be formed. 

Also something which I have noticed this season is a defending player standing to the side of the ruck, not attached to it, being a shield for the 9 when box kicking, that should be stopped too.

The problem with any of those rules (however sensible some of them are) is that refs don’t tend to want to blow the whistle too often and so what you’d see is they’d clamp down on it quite hard in the first few months and then minds would drift and things would be back to how they are now within a year or two. Instead I’d propose cutting down the time from ‘use it’ to actually having to use it from 5 to 3 seconds. Once 3 seconds have gone the ref shouts ‘ball out’ and the defending team can pick the ball up from the ruck. That way you get rid of the box kick, and make the game more entertaining, and do something that the refs are likely to persist with for more than a few weeks / months. 
The trouble is ref's now shout use it & I often count (yes I am that sad) 7 or 8 seconds before the ball is actually picked up.
So if the time is cut to 3 seconds there’s half a chance the ball will be out in 5! In all seriousness I think a big part of the reason for that is that refs don’t want to cause another scrum (and the resets that tend to come with them). That’s why I proposed just the ruck being over after 3 seconds (and hence the ref shouting ‘ball out’), therefore avoiding any scrums / free kicks. Of course there’s no guarantee that it would work but it seems worth a trial at the very least IMO. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2022 at 12:58pm

Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2022 at 12:18pm

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2022 at 11:38am

Openside75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Openside75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2022 at 12:32am
Maximum of 2 box kicks from the scrum per half. The 9 to actually use that ball when it's available, pronto. Straight feeds at the scrum have to be policed, not straight? Then opposing team gets a go. 
6 points for a try that started from before the halfway line (passing only) and 3 points for converting such a try. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2022 at 8:50am
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

Is rugby still boring or was that a phase? 

I find it funny that France kick it so much yet barely anyone says they’re boring. 

It must be something to do with having the “ability” to turn it on when it matters. But they didn’t really against Wales and it “mattered” then. Wonder why there isn’t a chorus of pundits calling them dull 

Most of the games in the URC this weekend I've found highly entertaining, the SA teams definitely bring some entertainment in their games and some good attacking rugby and tries scored in most of the games this weekend

Indeed - the SA teams seem far more inclined to run the ball back than indulge in aerial tennis, though they sometimes do that as well, of course. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2022 at 8:40am

I find it funny that France kick it so much yet barely anyone says they’re boring. 

It must be something to do with having the “ability” to turn it on when it matters. But they didn’t really against Wales and it “mattered” then. Wonder why there isn’t a chorus of pundits calling them dull 
That's because they have more than one player chasing it and tend to get it back and do something exciting with it.
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2022 at 8:27am

Most of the games in the URC this weekend I've found highly entertaining, the SA teams definitely bring some entertainment in their games and some good attacking rugby and tries scored in most of the games this weekend
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2022 at 8:03pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic