Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:41pm
The whole governance of the game in Wales is wrong and not working.  Grassroots rugby isn’t holding the game back but the fact that any changes to the game at a professional level has to be ratified (voted on) by grassroots clubs (who know very little about how to professional sport works) is holding professional rugby back.
This stems from the governance of the union (WRU), it’s archaic in it’s nature.  At the top level, we’ve managed to alienate very professional people (who have left the organisation) and voted off people who have held or applied for senior roles (who have the  business acumen to do the jobs) only to appoint people from grassroots rugby (who have no business acumen whatsoever), just look at the most recent appointment to the position of Chairman of the WRU - you had Ieuan Evans and Nigel Davies, both men have held senior roles in business and had played in both the amateur and professional eras and were coming into the game with some ideas of how to change the game in Wales, what do the grassroots clubs vote for - a school head teacher with a connection to his grassroots club (only in Wales would this happen).
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:43pm
Blanc knows more abour business about running budget sheets etc course she  does so let her get inviolved with the pro game i agree , however The local commite man maybe an ex player , an ex coach  guy who has helped keep a club stay alive for many a year, do we just throw people like that on rhe scrap  heap? The way people on here deride grass roots rugby is puzzling, i want the scarlets to succed, i want wales to succedd i want pontyberem to succed. Rest assured there are people involved in grass roots rugby  who love the game and who will still be involved it long after blanc and co have moved on to their next project (see moffet, roger lewis etc). The wru us there to look after all it’s clubs not just the pro ones

Edited by RR1972 - 11 August 2022 at 11:47pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Our schools rugby system is dreadful though, less schools play, less kids play, there are less fixtures, less qualified coaches and s and c coaching is non existant.  Those schools you point out are generally fee paying , the kids there are boarders and they have top coaches there . Wales schools have none of that and the wru need to invest in them and age group
Club rugby
The grass roots has £11.5m ringfenced to it. It’s the pro game that needs investment 
i agree with you but not at the exopense of the grass roots game
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 12:28am

Blanc knows more abour business about running budget sheets etc course she  does so let her get inviolved with the pro game i agree , however The local commite man maybe an ex player , an ex coach  guy who has helped keep a club stay alive for many a year, do we just throw people like that on rhe scrap  heap? The way people on here deride grass roots rugby is puzzling, i want the scarlets to succed, i want wales to succedd i want pontyberem to succed. Rest assured there are people involved in grass roots rugby  who love the game and who will still be involved it long after blanc and co have moved on to their next project (see moffet, roger lewis etc). The wru us there to look after all it’s clubs not just the pro ones

Nobody’s deriding grassroots rugby and you are right about some grassroots stallwarts being around a long time after some people who are employed to certain positions.
What some people on here are referring to is the fact that team wales is reliant on the regions (professional game) providing players to them, but the funding and everything needed for those regions to be successful is dependent upon the support of the grassroots game.   And they are not always in a position to know what’s best for the professional game, or are too preoccupied with their own position/survival to make the best decision for the game to develop/flourish.
I’ve played for my home town club, my family have held different positions within that club (over a forty year period), and I will continue to support my home town club, but would I trust them to make decisions that influence the professional game in Wales, I’m not too sure!.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 7:05am
As i said we should split the pro and grass roots game.  I think everyone here agrees on that
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 8:38am

But currently the local committee man has a say in how the pro game is run. That’s the problem 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 8:41am
I agree we need to split the oro and grass roots games  have said so time after time. I’m juat saying the ectra funding for the pro game needs to be takem from eksewhere not grass roots rugby which is key for welsh rugby in the long run
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 9:16am

I agree we need to split the oro and grass roots games  have said so time after time. I’m juat saying the ectra funding for the pro game needs to be takem from eksewhere not grass roots rugby which is key for welsh rugby in the long run
Yeah but it’s not funding. That’s the point that needs hammering home. It’s payment for the services of their players. It’s like you renting 10 cars and only paying half the selling price. That money belongs to the pro teams
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 2:12pm

Yeah but it’s not funding. That’s the point that needs hammering home. It’s payment for the services of their players. It’s like you renting 10 cars and only paying half the selling price. That money belongs to the pro teams
 not sure that’s the correct analogy as 80 per cent of the 38 test players salaries  are met by the union? What we need to do is give the whole urc and european money directly to the regions . They can pay what ever salarys they see fit to the players. At present we have a mis mash of part central part regional funding for players. It’s a mess

Edited by RR1972 - 12 August 2022 at 2:14pm
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 4:46pm

What we need to do is give the whole urc and european money directly to the regions . They can pay what ever salarys they see fit to the players. At present we have a mis mash of part central part regional funding for players. It’s a mess

What URC and European money? The WRU already pass on the competition money to the 4 pro clubs. It's about £12m I think.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 4:53pm

not sure that’s the correct analogy as 80 per cent of the 38 test players salaries  are met by the union? What we need to do is give the whole urc and european money directly to the regions . They can pay what ever salarys they see fit to the players. At present we have a mis mash of part central part regional funding for players. It’s a mess
Mate you’ve misunderstood again. That money with regards the NS 38 belongs to the pro sides. It’s their money, it legally belongs to them. The 80-20 split is the agreed method of payment. If it wasn’t split that way they’d still get that money. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

What we need to do is give the whole urc and european money directly to the regions . They can pay what ever salarys they see fit to the players. At present we have a mis mash of part central part regional funding for players. It’s a mess

What URC and European money? The WRU already pass on the competition money to the 4 pro clubs. It's about £12m I think.
The money from the sale of shares and revenue (that used to go to the clubs) in URC etc to CVC.

Correct me if I am wrong, however, I think none of that capital received was passed onto the 4 pro clubs in return for them having given up a share of future competition revenue.

A selling something to B but the money is kept by C is somewhat unusual.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 12 August 2022 at 5:37pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

The money from the sale of shares and revenue (that used to go to the clubs) in URC etc to CVC.

Correct me if I am wrong, however, I think none of that capital received was passed onto the 4 pro clubs in return for them having given up a share of future competition revenue.

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;">A selling something to B but the money is kept by C is somewhat unusual.</span>

The CVC money? Yes that just seemed to go on capital projects. There's been very little increase to the 4 pro clubs for years. And now we'll also be burdening those loan repayments too (although it was restructured).

I've no idea what goes on behind the scenes but from what we can see, the owners of the 4 pro clubs seem perfectly happy to consistently be in the lower half of the URC, nowhere near a Heineken Cup final, smaller squads with less quality, underpaid the market rate for the services of player release, playing away games in Africa instead of England etc etc.

We're a soft touch. Previous administrators of the Scarlets wouldn't have stood for this.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 10:24pm
So Welsh rugby has just lost Andrew Williams, the longest serving FTSE 100 CEO in the UK. This is deeply troubling. Welsh rugby has now lost two FTSE 100 CEO’s in less than a year. We just can’t afford to lose administrators of that quality. 

A parting shot from Williams “I love the club and want it to get back to the top table of British and European rugby, which will require major changes to the way the professional game in Wales is run.”

As I said until the professional game breaks away then rugby in this country is f***d.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 7:10am

So Welsh rugby has just lost Andrew Williams, the longest serving FTSE 100 CEO in the UK. This is deeply troubling. Welsh rugby has now lost two FTSE 100 CEO’s in less than a year. We just can’t afford to lose administrators of that quality. 

A parting shot from Williams “I love the club and want it to get back to the top table of British and European rugby, which will require major changes to the way the professional game in Wales is run.”

As I said until the professional game breaks away then rugby in this country is f***d.
That’s yet more bad news as the average governance and forward thinking capability of the pro game in Wales worsens once more.

Instead of cherishing these prized assets, they’re being castaway against a background of mediocrity, indecision and/or bad decisions.

The self-servers who think only of the gravy train and their own perks need to realise that they’re heading towards a self-destructive desert where there’s no gravy, no perks, no decent national side and the cash cow of the stadium is mostly empty for matches against Tier 2 teams.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 10:09am

what role did he have in the wru? Tbh ive not heard of the guy so excuse my ignorance
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>
  Share Topic