Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Leinster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:50am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

That is ridiculous Ken has always given his all for the Scarlets and the poor games he has had for us you could count on one hand.Are you really questioning his commitment to the club sad if so.  

As I said a taboo subject. I could give you around a dozen games in the past few seasons where our on field leadership, when under pressure, failed abysmally. I would never question Ken's love for or indeed commitment to the Scarlets but the evidence of performance is staring us all in the eyes. Scott Quinnell & Benny are huge past servants of the club but they are probably not worthy of the shirt at the moment. 

There are far too many high profile players in our squad who fail to turn up with the necessary mind set to justify their excellent salaries. 
That is even more ridiculous he has given his all and to suggest he coasts just to pick up his wages is a disgrace and something you would not suggest to him in person I wager. He is a world class hooker who has given a huge amount to the club and even if he doesn’t have a great game he will be trying his hardest. 
I bet you can’t give me a dozen games when he hasn’t been busting a gut for the cause. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sponsored Links

thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:55am
The bigger issue at hooker is Elias. Unfortunately for us his lineout throws are at best erratic.  No confidence with our lineout. Admittedly this is our weakest pool of second rows I can recall for many a year. However last season when we had Jake and Tex the lineout was a farce.
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 10:04am
Yes we were poor but its one poor performance so far this season, cut the team some slack, over the last week alot of people were saying how happy they were to see scott and foxy back in the centre together and they wouldnt change that combination, everyone was full of praise not so long ago , our main worry should be our inability to win our lineouts, if we can win clean lineout ball that will fix some of the problems , tackling will need to improve and the coaching staff and team will know this, Sunday was one of those games that everything that could go wrong for us did, we had what we deserved out of the game but lets get behind the boys, in typical scarlet fashion we will beat leinster this weekend

Edited by scarletsrules - 12 October 2021 at 10:05am
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 10:38am
Ken is a phenomenal player no doubt and no question he gives his all but that doesn’t make him impervious to form (or criticism). He’s not the most accurate at the lineout. Questions do need to be asked, if you can do it for Wales why can’t or aren’t we doing it for the Scarlets. We get embarrassed at home, the criticism is fair. I do wonder what changes will be made this weekend. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I really believe that a lot of people on here are suffering fom a variant of Santa syndrome.There is no Father Christmas!!Players Get Old!

Exactly. Players like Foxy and Ken aren’t any less committed. When you have a 30+ year old player up against an up and coming youngster. It doesn’t matter how many internationals they’ve played there comes a time when there’s only one winner. If they all kept their form no matter their age Phil Bennett would still be playing. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 12:32pm

That is ridiculous Ken has always given his all for the Scarlets and the poor games he has had for us you could count on one hand.Are you really questioning his commitment to the club sad if so.  

As I said a taboo subject. I could give you around a dozen games in the past few seasons where our on field leadership, when under pressure, failed abysmally. I would never question Ken's love for or indeed commitment to the Scarlets but the evidence of performance is staring us all in the eyes. Scott Quinnell & Benny are huge past servants of the club but they are probably not worthy of the shirt at the moment. 

There are far too many high profile players in our squad who fail to turn up with the necessary mind set to justify their excellent salaries. 
That is even more ridiculous he has given his all and to suggest he coasts just to pick up his wages is a disgrace and something you would not suggest to him in person I wager. He is a world class hooker who has given a huge amount to the club and even if he doesn’t have a great game he will be trying his hardest. 
I bet you can’t give me a dozen games when he hasn’t been busting a gut for the cause. 

Anything I say on this forum I am more than happy to repeat to anyone's face. I try to keep my comments measured and accurate. There can only be two possible explanations for the performance of some senior Internationals last Sunday - 1 - they were giving their all but they have deteriorated so much that they are no longer worthy of the shirt - 2 - they were not giving their all, could not get up for an important fixture & therefore underestimated the opposition & took a massive beating. Frankly either way they do not deserve to keep their starting positions. 

If you believe that with Tex & Jake in that team on Sunday the outcome would have been different then I am afraid you are wrong. 
hartson11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hartson11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 12:45pm
I certainly would not question any professional’s attitude.

I also recognise that Foxy is arguably Wales’ greatest 13 (John Dawes may argue), and Ken is a Lion.

However, age catches up with everyone who’s not named Cristiano Ronaldo and I think there is a serious question to be asked that based on form, whether they do currently fit into the starting XV.

This isn’t one or two bad games from Foxy, he’s not been the same since he got injured against Fiji in 2019, and it’s indisputable in my own personal opinion that Ken has performed better for Wales than he has for Scarlets in recent years.

In no way am I saying we should cast these legends aside, but I think we’ve reached the point that there’s a legitimate argument to be had that others should be given an extended run, for the sake of now and the future.

I’d also like to see Tom Rogers at 15 on the weekend. Was great against Edinburgh there last season.

Edited by hartson11 - 12 October 2021 at 2:17pm
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 1:16pm

I'm questioning the commitment of a number of players to the shirt after that poo show on Sunday. They'd rather play for Wales than the Scarlets.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 2:59pm

Anything I say on this forum I am more than happy to repeat to anyone's face. I try to keep my comments measured and accurate. There can only be two possible explanations for the performance of some senior Internationals last Sunday - 1 - they were giving their all but they have deteriorated so much that they are no longer worthy of the shirt - 2 - they were not giving their all, could not get up for an important fixture & therefore underestimated the opposition & took a massive beating. Frankly either way they do not deserve to keep their starting positions. 

If you believe that with Tex & Jake in that team on Sunday the outcome would have been different then I am afraid you are wrong. 

Agree GPR.

Too many in that side v Munster were blown away by a side we should have beaten. They showed they wanted it more. Top level players were way off the pace.
In my team selection for the Leinster game, I stated at best that the returning lions be on the bench for them to work for the jersey. that was shot down by some. But fact is, that Munster game echoed the Sale match. 
Ken did not give a performance better than what Elias has produced in the opening matches in my opinion and Hardy was getting into a groove to make way for Cawdor. 2 players who have played very little rugby in recent months (especially Cawdor). Ken has never been the type of player who can just start a game after a long block out and just perform. Hes the type, like many, that needs a real run of games. I fear that will not be the case now as age is catching up as well as internationals are starting to loom. it looks like WRU are desperate to cling on to stalwarts and risk having a squad thats too old for the old world cup (same trap as Ireland in a World Cup) but thats a different topic.
There are zero excuses for that performance. No defending. The only shining light for me was Tom Rogers who tackled who he meant to tackle and tried his best in attack. 
It wasnt going well before Kalamafoni went off but we well and truly fell apart when he went off.

Macleod, Lousi and Lezana we desperately need back. Not that they would have made much of a difference but leadership on Munster was non existent. We showed no sign of breaking Munster up front. yet we went for the corner early in the half. failed with the try. we then got back down there again, and again, we opted for the corner...again we failed (this was happening in first half as well). 2 kickable penalties where if we went for them, we would have been just 10 points behind with little over 30mins to go. that was criminal. And then more chances came we failed but Munster just ran in the tries. it was awful.

I did like the brutally honest review from Peel post match - no gloss, no excuses, fronted up. and also Rob Evans.

For Leinster, we need to seriously up the levels of passion for the shirt as that on Sunday was embarrassing. It can not be defended.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

I certainly would not question any professional’s attitude.

I also recognise that Foxy is arguably Wales’ greatest 13 (John Dawes may argue), and Ken is a Lion.

However, age catches up with everyone who’s not named Cristiano Ronaldo and I think there is a serious question to be asked that based on form, whether they do currently fit into the starting XV.

This isn’t one or two bad games from Foxy, he’s not been the same since he got injured against Fiji in 2019, and it’s indisputable in my own personal opinion that Ken has performed better for Wales than he has for Scarlets in recent years.

In no way am I saying we should cast these legends aside, but I think we’ve reached the point that there’s a legitimate argument to be had that others should be given an extended run, for the sake of now and the future.

I’d also like to see Tom Rogers at 15 on the weekend. Was great against Edinburgh there last season.

Very much agree re.Rogers at 15-excellent footballer who can get the counter going from deep and  would hit the line well too.Unfortunately I fear his opportunities there may be limited as the WRU gerontophile fund might keep the 2 Instagram boys in the frame for too long.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 6:35pm
Rogers maybr a bit weak defensively to play 15 at the moment especially away to leinster tbh
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 6:40pm

I bet you can’t give me a dozen games when he hasn’t been busting a gut for the  cause. 
he has been part of a tean that has been hammered on several occasions in recent years. He certainly hasn’t been giving world class perfornances for the scarlets recently Gpr is entitled to  his views so i don’t know why your getting so upset by them, btw i don’t think it’s a lack of effort i just think his legs hAve started to go
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I bet you can’t give me a dozen games when he hasn’t been busting a gut for the  cause. 
he has been part of a tean that has been hammered on several occasions in recent years. He certainly hasn’t been giving world class perfornances for the scarlets recently Gpr is entitled to  his views so i don’t know why your getting so upset by them, btw i don’t think it’s a lack of effort i just think his legs hAve started to go
Yes he is entitled to his views but when he is casting doubt on one of the best servants the club has ever had and saying he is not trying I won’t accept that. 
Ken maybe getting in but was lions first choice a couple of months ago. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:13pm

Yes he is entitled to his views but when he is casting doubt on one of the best servants the club has ever had and saying he is not trying I won’t accept that. 
Irrelevant. What he does in a Scarlets shirt is all that should matter.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:17pm

Plenty of life in Ken . As you said Lions choice a couple of months back not knackers yard. The whole team underperformed and the coaches were also outperformed by the Munster coaches. The CEO needs to keep a careful eye on things I feel to ensure that the players are 100% united  and are 100% united with the coaches. We can’t have a repeat of Sundays fiasco. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Irrelevant. What he does in a Scarlets shirt is all that should matter.
Not irrelevant at all it was questioned whether he had the legs anymore for the Scarlets. If he good enough to play for Lions I assume he good enough for us.
To pick on Ken is a bit rich after all he has down for club.

Edited by Why - 12 October 2021 at 8:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic