Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Australia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Bit of a mixed bag all in all, if you'd offered me 2 wins & running the Bok's so close beforehand I think I would have taken it.

Yes mixed bag is fair & a lot of new faces have been given time. What I find quite depressing though is that we can only be described to be on a slight downward curve whereas our European competitors are certainly not. Scotland are continuing to improve albeit slowly but now have a strong defence & good half backs; France are a coming World force; Ireland have gone to a level I have never seen from them before & England have done a big u-turn in response to last year's 6 nations and have given young guys great chances with, for me, the pick of the bunch being Freddie Steward who would not be out of place wearing the Lions 15 shirt. 

I remain convinced that 4th in this year's tournament is the limit of my expectations - the only saving grace for me is that I said that last year as well. 

Even though we won it last year I still felt we were the 3rd/4th best team of the tournament. 
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Bit of a mixed bag all in all, if you'd offered me 2 wins & running the Bok's so close beforehand I think I would have taken it.

Yes mixed bag is fair & a lot of new faces have been given time. What I find quite depressing though is that we can only be described to be on a slight downward curve whereas our European competitors are certainly not. Scotland are continuing to improve albeit slowly but now have a strong defence & good half backs; France are a coming World force; Ireland have gone to a level I have never seen from them before & England have done a big u-turn in response to last year's 6 nations and have given young guys great chances with, for me, the pick of the bunch being Freddie Steward who would not be out of place wearing the Lions 15 shirt. 

I remain convinced that 4th in this year's tournament is the limit of my expectations - the only saving grace for me is that I said that last year as well. 

Even though we won it last year I still felt we were the 3rd/4th best team of the tournament. 

There aren't many who would disagree disagree with that but the only thing that matters is it's our name on the silverware.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2021 at 3:02pm
15 liam (Johnny Mac)
14 adams (Cuthbert)
13 north (Tompkins)
12 willis (J Williams)
11 lrz (Holmes?)
10 sheedy(Biggar)
9 cawdor(Webb)
8 faletau(wainwright)
7 tipuric(basham))
6 ellis(moriarty/basham))
5 beard (tszuina)
4 rowlands (seb davies/john)
3 francis (WGJ)
2 elias (Dee/Ken)
1 wyn (Carre)

IF this squad is fit we can win in Ireland. BIG IF.

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2021 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

15 liam (Johnny Mac)
14 adams (Cuthbert)
13 north (Tompkins)
12 willis (J Williams)
11 lrz (Holmes?)
10 sheedy(Biggar)
9 cawdor(Webb)
8 faletau(wainwright)
7 tipuric(basham))
5 beard (tszuina)
3 francis (WGJ)
2 elias (Dee/Ken)
1 wyn (Carre)

I'd bring Nicky Smith and Samson Lee into the front-row, and have Tomos Williams and Priestland half-backs.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2021 at 4:14pm
[QUOTE=roy munster]15 liam (Johnny Mac)
14 adams (Cuthbert)
13 north (Tompkins)
12 willis (J Williams)
11 lrz (Holmes?)
10 sheedy(Biggar)
9 cawdor(Webb)
8 faletau(wainwright)
7 tipuric(basham))
5 beard (tszuina)
3 francis (WGJ)
2 elias (Dee/Ken)
1 wyn (Carre)

[/QUOT

That 15 is as close as we can get to our best 15 (apart from your deliberate mistake at 10 ) that will have any chance of being fit - assuming that Navidi and AWJ are probably not going to be fit to start the 6 nations at least. I would select two different from you - Anscombe or Patchell at 10 provided they get a good run of games between now and the tournament in particular the big European games along with Scott at 12. With that 15 starting I think we will struggle to get within 10-15 points of Ireland. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2021 at 5:11pm

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Agree mainly with GPR, 10,12,13 still needs to be settled. For me Tomos is the best 9 but I think Hardy , and even Blacker, could be pushing for starts in the 6N.
With regard to scrum half I have to disagree with you slightly. Tomas is clearly now No 1 with Pivac but frankly I see nothing to get excited about. Box kicking, defence, passing ability are all very average.

In his favour is that all his main challengers are no better in many aspects - however I go back to when Wales, under Edwards, used Cawdor's lightening speed and aggressive nature to often lead the defensive charge which resulted in opposition 10/12 breakdown and some wonderful interception scores. That ability marks him out, for me, as our best option because he is no better or worse than the others in box kicking and service. Hardy has gone backwards this season and I would select Blacker ahead of him at the moment. 

Unless Pivac changes direction, which he doesn't show signs of, he is going to select an average 9

Cawdor produces too slow ball from the base. He is lightening quick runner but I pull my hair out sometimes when he’s fiddling aboit with it at the base.

I see Tomos doing than less than Cawdor and Hardy. 

I’m not sure the 50-22 rule helps for having a floating 9 blitzing in the defensive wall, because now you have to have 2 wingers/full back covering left and right so you need the 9 sweeping to stop the chip down the middle. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2021 at 9:44pm
With reference to earlier posts regarding drunk 'supporters' at the principality stadium.  This poor young lad was vomited on : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59372210
Have been to internationals and Judgement Days, every trip marred by a minority of excessive drinkers. Sitting in a family area with my own offspring, we had to endure two foul mouthed Wales supporters, who were not with family members. In their defence, they were equally foul mouthed to the Wales and England players!!
Despise the constant trips to the bar and consequently to the toilets, they interrupt everyone's viewing and half the match is missed by those more interested in alcohol than rugby.
Much prefer y Parc.
Joshua24:15
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2021 at 12:56pm
I find wales a puzzle at times we look really good other times we look dreadul. We go from high to lows in the same game, our scrum was decent last 6 nations now it looks poor, our win /loss ratio is decent but 5 cards in our last 9 games has helped hugely, you have to take all the luck you can get but i really don’t see us doing much in the 6 nations or world cup if i’m honest. Personally i’d like to see a team of liam lrz north williams adams preistland williams, wyn jones elias francis beard rowlans jenkins tupric and toby f start for wales, but i’d still have doubts over 12 9 lock and 6

Edited by RR1972 - 23 November 2021 at 12:59pm
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 1:49am
Cant believe I forgot Navidi and nicky smith
OK IF all fit atm Id go with

15 liam (Johnny Mac)
14 adams (Cuthbert)
13 north (Tompkins)
12 willis (J Williams)
11 lrz (Holmes?)
10 sheedy(Biggar)
9 cawdor(Webb)
8 faletau(wainwright)
7 tipuric(basham))
6 ellis(Navidi))
5 beard (tszuina)
3 francis (WGJ)
2 elias (Dee/Ken)
1 wyn (Smith)
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic